Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

zoom slows card play

#1 User is offline   holpol1 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2021-May-28, 15:33

When we have a family game of BBO we like to run zoom in the background so we can chat. However, after playing for a half hour or so, I start having a problem with card play. Clicking on the cards doesn't pull them from my "hand." I have to click a couple of times, and then the card jumps out. This slows the game for everyone, and is very frustrating for me. If I shut down zoom, BBO goes back to playing normally. We just upgraded our internet, and although when tested the upload speed varies considerably (85.6 mbps to 115 mbps download and 8 to 22 upload), it is supposed to handle multiple devises streaming multiple apps. I have tried running BBO on Safari and zoom on chrome but that doesn't solve the problem. I sent zoom a question and they said to uninstall and reinstall the desk top app, but I'm pretty sure that won't help.
Hasn't anyone else had this problem?
HolPol1

#2 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2021-May-28, 15:56

Maybe your CPU is to slow. You could try without video.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#3 User is offline   pilowsky 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2021-May-28, 18:10

I have a similar problem - but it's intermittent.
When I ran network diagnostics it seems that one of my devices was/is having some kind of problem connecting to the modem.
Other devices work fine.
I tried running "speedtest" on three different devices and got three different results (in the same room).
I get exactly the same problem as you describe when the speedtest results are poor.
During one run the speed dropped to half midway.

One problem was that I used to have a wifi extender plugged in - sometimes this confused the computer.

A workaround is to run the video chat on a separate device (if feasible) - eg phone or tablet.

#4 User is offline   holpol1 

• Pip

Posted 2021-June-03, 10:37

I tried that. Sometimes it helps, other times not.
thanks, though.
H

#5 User is offline   holpol1 

• Pip

Posted 2021-June-03, 10:40

Yes, I think you're right. It does seem to be internet speed. But what puzzles me is that it only happens with zoom and BBO. Other times I can use multiple apps all at once and there's no problem. But, yes, also, using my phone for zoom, is probably the make do solution. Just very annoying.
H

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users