• You cannot reply to this topic

hideous bridge evening possibly my least enjoyable

#41 User is offline   Douglas43 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Walking, boring my wife with bridge stories

Posted 2021-March-03, 09:55

View Postmorecharac, on 2021-March-01, 10:45, said:

The more I hear about how good players bid the more some systems resemble a Rube Goldberg device designed by M.C. Escher on an LSD trip.

Thanks for introducing me to the machines of Rube Goldberg, they look great. You might enjoy the cartoons of W Heath- Robinson which had a comparable theme and humour, although I don't know whether anyone ever built his machines (don't know whether his work ever spread beyond the UK - forgive me if he's a household name where you come from).

#42 User is offline   morecharac 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Cyclothymic dilettantism

Posted 2021-March-03, 10:36

View PostDouglas43, on 2021-March-03, 09:55, said:

You might enjoy the cartoons of W Heath- Robinson which had a comparable theme and humour, although I don't know whether anyone ever built his machines (don't know whether his work ever spread beyond the UK - forgive me if he's a household name where you come from).

I've never heard of him before, so definitely not a household name on this side of the pond. My wife will also enjoy these. Thank you.

I was fortunate enough to find a book of Goldberg devices at a local used-clothing store several years back. It cost me all of $2.

#43 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2021-March-03, 15:29

I don't want to embarrass you if you were East but that seat made some really poor decisions. At the same time I say that, I get the feeling that whoever was East has seen some quite odd takeout doubles from this same West.

My best advice is to read everything Mikeh writes and take it to heart. He really knows his stuff.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users