BBO Discussion Forums: ALL I CAN SAY IS..... - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

ALL I CAN SAY IS..... Gort, Klaatu barada nikto.

#1 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2021-May-28, 11:53

https://www.wistv.co...navy-ufo-video/
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#2 User is online   kenberg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-May-28, 13:11

View PostWinstonm, on 2021-May-28, 11:53, said:

Some things last a lifetime. As a kid my friend Stan told me about this "really interesting" article he had read. Well, it was in Readers Digest but we were 12 so that's ok. UFOs were a secret government project that would be really good when completed. I scoffed, but maybe it is being completed!
Ken

#3 User is offline   LBengtsson 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2021-May-28, 14:51

if we arrogantly think we are the only species in the universe, then we all deluded. ufos and other species on other planets probably do exist.

#4 User is online   pilowsky 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-May-28, 19:50

View PostLBengtsson, on 2021-May-28, 14:51, said:

if we arrogantly think we are the only species in the universe, then we all deluded. ufos and other species on other planets probably do exist.

You are right.
Many of them turn up on this Forum, proving that Eric Idle was right: there is no intelligent life down here

#5 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2021-May-29, 07:44

View PostLBengtsson, on 2021-May-28, 14:51, said:

I don't doubt that there's life out there, possibly even intelligent life. The universe is a big place, and if it can happen here, it can happen elsewhere.

But I'm much more skeptical that any of them have arrived here. For the same reason: the universe is a big place, and distances between stars are enormous. The chance that any of the other intelligent species are close enough and happened to travel in the right direction to find us is incredibly remote.

There's nothing that would have led them here. We've only been emitting radio signals that might have labeled our planet as having advanced life for a century, so they'd have to be within 100 light years to detect it. And even if there's someone that close, it would take them hundreds or thousands of years to get here (unless faster-than-light travel as in sci-fi is really possible, and one of those close species has developed the technology).

#6 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2021-May-29, 07:52

My guess is that Gort is a drone.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#7 User is offline   thepossum 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-June-07, 04:22

I don't know who said it (Carl Sagan perhaps) but the chance of 1) other species evolving anywhere, 2) making contact while we each had technology and weren't extinct, and 3) understanding each other without destroying each other seems unlikely. So we should think we are special, that our planet is special and look after it and each other and other species here. Also don't fall for the we can escape to Mars rubbish either

#8 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2021-June-07, 07:26

View Postthepossum, on 2021-June-07, 04:22, said:

I don't know who said it (Carl Sagan perhaps) but the chance of 1) other species evolving anywhere, 2) making contact while we each had technology and weren't extinct, and 3) understanding each other without destroying each other seems unlikely. So we should think we are special, that our planet is special and look after it and each other and other species here. Also don't fall for the we can escape to Mars rubbish either

I don't doubt there is some kind of life elsewhere - but due to the vast distances involved and the time it takes to travel, the chances that some alien intelligent life would first even locate our planet and then be able to travel here successfully only to tease us with grainy videos on YouTube seems a bit remote.

#9 User is offline   thepossum 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-June-07, 08:08

View PostWinstonm, on 2021-June-07, 07:26, said:

I don't doubt there is some kind of life elsewhere - but due to the vast distances involved and the time it takes to travel, the chances that some alien intelligent life would first even locate our planet and then be able to travel here successfully only to tease us with grainy videos on YouTube seems a bit remote.

I am not convinced either way. No matter how big infinity is I think the evolution of cat videos as the peak of human development is infinitely improbable. But whether or not life exists elsewhere is irrelevant as I said. Let's look after what we have. But alluding to another Adams reference it's possible any other life form that visited could be eaten by something. I can't remember the full reference

I have no idea who first mentioned what I was alluding to about the unlikeliness of ever meeting it but we spend so much effort looking and ignoring what we have. Maybe it's some kind of loneliness for some. But it doesn't me feel lonely

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users