• You cannot reply to this topic

Big Pass Whacky, but interesting idea

#21 User is offline   Gerben42 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Astronomy, Mathematics
    Nuclear power

Posted 2009-May-26, 01:08

I'm pretty sure that Gerben meant that the THREAD was dead...

Yes...
Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do!
My Bridge Systems Page

BC Kultcamp Rieneck

#22 User is offline   Cascade 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows
  • Interests:Juggling, Unicycling

Posted 2009-May-26, 02:25

The_Hog, on May 26 2009, 12:32 PM, said:

Another good one to look at is T-Rex. This is a truly horrible system to play against, which used to be played by Andy Braithwaite from NZ.

Strange.

I always enjoyed playing against T-Rex.
Wayne Burrows

I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon

#23 User is offline   Impact 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2009-May-26, 03:10

Sorry - it doesn't work as Ron points out.

I am not a T-Rex fan : intermediate pass has a lot of problems.

Ideally, you want to play qute differnent systems at different vulnerabilities - and positions. Even a less restrictive group of buffoons like the ABF has drawn the line at "2 systems", but appears to accept that some variation in 4th seat is ok eg hands which would otherwise be pre-empts etc in a non-forcing pass mode...

In real life, you require a very disciplined system freak to absorb at least 2 different systems in full detail with inferences, while when I wanted to play 4....ah well
regrds

#24 User is offline   tysen2k 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2009-December-09, 22:15

Hi all!

Reviving an old post here because I haven't posted here in quite a long time.

I'm pretty sure that Gerben meant that the THREAD was dead...

As far as I know, Tysen is alive and fine, though real life is interfering with his ability to post much.

Yes, I'm still alive. Real life has taken a great deal of my time. I haven't played much bridge in years, but decided to drop by and see how things are going...

I'm still interested in a 0-16 Pass system and while it was mostly an exercise in pushing the limits of ACBL regulations, I think it may have some merits. I don't know if it's a competative system since I've never tried it out, but I don't think it's as horrible as it looks at first glance. The important thing to remember is that you have to judge the system as a whole, not just the pass part. You could be at a disadvantage when your opening bid is a pass, but if it helps all your other bids then it should be worth it. After all, after opening 1x partner knows you have an unbalanced hand. NT rebids are therefore totally free to have new artificial meanings to help with bidding afterwards.

I think Nick's original attempt to piece together the system I was developing has a few bits from other systems that don't belong together. If I remember right, I think I had come up with something like this:

Pass = 0-16 balanced
1 = 10+ HCP, any 6+ card suit (single suiter) or any 3-suiter
1,, = 8+ (10+?) HCP, always a 2-suiter (5/4 or better). Suit bid or clubs is longest, so almost always 5+ cards (might also work with canape)
1NT = 17-21 balanced
2x = 4-9 HCP any 5+ suit (EHAA style) always unbalanced

A little wacky, but I always had wanted to give it a try. I don't think the pass is as vulnerable to preemption as some think. You should have good LoTT protection and opponents shouldn't go too crazy over it. I also had a response system to the 1 opener, but I'm not sure where it is anymore. Interference doesn't hurt it much - with a 3-suiter you have an easy double (and partner can count on 4-card support) and with a long suit, you can bid it.

Anyway, thanks for bringing back some old memories.

Tysen
A bit of blatant self-pimping - I've got a new poker book that's getting good reviews.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users