BBO Discussion Forums: Rebid after overcall - BBO Discussion Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Rebid after overcall

Poll: Rebid after overcall (26 member(s) have cast votes)

What do you rebid?

1. Pass (2 votes [7.69%])

Percentage of vote: 7.69%

2. 2NT (6 votes [23.08%])

Percentage of vote: 23.08%

3. 3 Hearts (17 votes [65.38%])

Percentage of vote: 65.38%

4. Something else (1 votes [3.85%])

Percentage of vote: 3.85%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   Quartic 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Walking, Climbing, Mathematics, Programming, Linux, Reading, Bridge.

Posted 2014-May-07, 16:14

You're playing modern Acol with a competent partner in a club teams event. 1 promises 4+ hearts, 11+ hcp. Your 1NT opening is 12-14.

#2 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-May-07, 17:55

Unless 2 was NFB, we can not pass and that leaves us with 2 options which of both I do not like, but what else can I do?

I assume 2 NT would show a strong NT hand.

3 for me.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#3 User is offline   guido 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2014-May-07, 18:42

3 seems clear. As I passed hand, it is highly unlikely I haveahand good enough for bidding three of a higher suit without support. Hence, 3 is/should be a fit non-jump.

#4 User is offline   wodahs 

• PipPip

Posted 2014-May-08, 09:05

We play transfers there, starting with Double.

X = clubs
2NT = natural
3C = good+ diamond raise
3D = junk raise

So 3C it is

#5 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-May-08, 10:27

You guys need to read the problem again. A FNJ (of my suit) and a Support Doubles (of partner's bid) do not apply here.
(-: Zel :-)

#6 User is offline   whereagles 

• Interests:Everything!

Posted 2014-May-08, 12:00

Seems like we're endplayed into bidding 3, WTP?

#7 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-May-08, 13:41

I always thought that in Acol non jumps at the two level in suits that were hindered by the overcall were NFBs, showing about 8-11, so I would pass.

Am I completely wrong here?

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#8 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2014-May-08, 14:52

NFBs are not usually part of (English) Acol. They can be agreed of course.
(-: Zel :-)

#9 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2014-May-08, 19:44

If there not playing NFB why is pass an option in poll??

I think its a NFB
Sarcasm is a state of mind

#10 User is offline   razorsharp 

• PipPip

Posted 2014-May-09, 08:39

Dontcha wish you had PASSED your trash? Garbage in, garbage out!
But now, facing extinction, I'll guess 2NT instead of 3H, as 10/11ththths of my HCP are outside OUR suitz!
razorsharp

#11 User is offline   jdgalt 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Also a board game player (I'm "jdgalt" on BoardGameGeek, too).

Posted 2014-May-09, 18:01

I would bid 2NT if it were weak. But I think in this system it would be 15+, which I haven't got. 3H it is.

#12 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-May-09, 18:36

razorsharp, on 2014-May-09, 08:39, said:

But now, facing extinction, I'll guess 2NT instead of 3H, as 10/11ththths of my HCP are outside OUR suitz!
razorsharp

- No

- Reread the OP
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#13 User is offline   the hog 

• Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2014-May-10, 02:01

razorsharp, on 2014-May-09, 08:39, said:

razorsharp

I am not sure what the word "dontcha" means, but if it is some sort of bastardisation of 'don't you', then no, I certainly wouldn't have passed. In Acol 2nt now shows 15-17, so I would bid 3H.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#14 User is offline   the hog 

Posted 2014-May-10, 02:05

Trinidad, on 2014-May-08, 13:41, said:

I always thought that in Acol non jumps at the two level in suits that were hindered by the overcall were NFBs, showing about 8-11, so I would pass.

Am I completely wrong here?

Rik

Yes, you are completely wrong. Some Acol experts played that a suit higher ranking than opener's was nf and a lower ranking suit was forcing. However, this is only common to certain experts and not universal by any means.No nfbs are part of normal Acol.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#15 User is offline   EricK 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-May-10, 02:46

I bid 3 and I'm quite happy with it. If we end up too high because the hand is a misfit it's probably because partner should have doubled rather bid 2!

#16 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-May-10, 05:50

EricK, on 2014-May-10, 02:46, said:

I bid 3 and I'm quite happy with it. If we end up too high because the hand is a misfit it's probably because partner should have doubled rather bid 2!

Why, would you have passed his X?
The "4 is a transfer to 4" award goes to Jinksy - PhilKing

#17 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-May-10, 06:19

Btw, I don't agree with the people claiming 2N here should be 15-19 bal just because you're playing a weak NT. Here's my reasoning:

• The main reason for having it as that in a constructive auction is to allow slam hunting with 18-19 point hands. Here, when LHO is strong enough for a 2-level overcall, you don't have good enough support to raise P, and, for a 2N bid, you need some values in their suit, which are unlikely to be pulling their weight in a slam.
  • If you do have some sort of stellar 19 count with crisp values, 4N would surely show it.
  • Opener's 3m would probably be GF. If 2 is forcing and 2N is strong, that leaves your only NF bids as 3 and 3 - neither of which is particularly appealing if you've opened on such as x QTxxx AJ9 KQxx

You could prob play 3m as forcing to 3M which would make strong 2N playable, but that's got its own problems.

So without discussion, 3 seems like a relatively benign alternative if I'm worried P might get too excited by 2N.

#18 User is offline   campboy 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-May-10, 08:08

I think it's completely wrong for 2NT to show extras here if 2 is forcing (and yes, I do play a weak NT). You could well have no other call on an unbalanced minimum (typically a hand which would have bid 1 - 1 - 2 in an uncontested auction). If it had gone 1 (2) 2 it would be a different story, since 2 of opener's suit would still be available for a hand with nothing better to do.

#19 User is offline   the hog 

Posted 2014-May-10, 08:14

Jinksy, on 2014-May-10, 06:19, said:

<br>Btw, I don't agree with the people claiming 2N here should be 15-19 bal just because you're playing a weak NT. Here's my reasoning:<br><br><ul class="bbc"><li>The main reason for having it as that in a constructive auction is to allow slam hunting with 18-19 point hands. Here, when LHO is strong enough for a 2-level overcall, you don't have good enough support to raise P, and, for a 2N bid, you need some values in their suit, which are unlikely to be pulling their weight in a slam.</li><li>If you do have some sort of stellar 19 count with crisp values, 4N would surely show it.</li><li>Opener's 3m would probably be GF. If 2 is forcing and 2N is strong, that leaves your only NF bids as 3 and 3 - neither of which is particularly appealing if you've opened on such as x QTxxx AJ9 KQxx</li></ul><p><br><br>You could prob play 3m as forcing to 3M which would make strong 2N playable, but that's got its own problems. <br><br>So without discussion, 3 seems like a relatively benign alternative if I'm worried P might get too excited by 2N.<br>

Another poster who has clearly never played Acol. In Acol this is 15-a poor18, end of story.<br><br></p><p><br><br><br> </p><p> </p>

#20 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-May-10, 10:35

the hog, on 2014-May-10, 08:14, said:

Another poster who has clearly never played Acol. In Acol this is 15-a poor18, end of story.<br><br></p><p><br><br><br> </p><p> </p>

This is starting to feel like cyberstalking. If you have no argument to make and nothing friendly to say, kindly stop singling out my posts for your lazy abuse.

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users