BBO Discussion Forums: Has U.S. Democracy Been Trumped? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 1075 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Has U.S. Democracy Been Trumped? Bernie Sanders wants to know who owns America?

#3301 User is offline   Al_U_Card 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-December-01, 19:16

View PostAl_U_Card, on 2016-December-01, 18:44, said:

Initially, I would not have thought it to be an important issue (election-wise) but it seems that some illegals fearing a Trump policy that would see them deported might sway them to vote, especially if somehow they were convinced that even the President said it was something they should consider. (Not that he did, but just the confusion between english-speakers regarding that interview might be ambiguous enough for the unscrupulous to convince non-english speakers to give it a try because the alternative would be the same (deportation) anyway.

OTOH since Hillary supporters thought they would win easily, there wasn't any need for that particular kind of skullduggery.
The Grand Design, reflected in the face of Chaos...it's a fluke!

#3302 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2016-December-01, 20:29

View PostPassedOut, on 2016-December-01, 19:06, said:

You mean this guy? Jonathan Ferguson

No.

You outed the crazoid. Well done!
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#3303 User is offline   hrothgar 

• Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2016-December-01, 21:26

View PostPassedOut, on 2016-December-01, 19:06, said:

You mean this guy? Jonathan Ferguson

Nice find!

Lots as if Jon is retweeting a lot of @JamesEdwardsTPC

The Political Cesspool is a weekly far-right talk radio show founded by Tennessean political activist James Edwards and syndicated by the organizations Liberty News Radio Network and Accent Radio Network in the United States. First broadcast in October 2004 twice a week from radio station WMQM, per Edwards it has been simulcast on Stormfront Radio, a service of the white nationalist Stormfront website[4] and as of 2011 is broadcast on Saturday nights on WLRM, a Christian radio station in Millington, Tennessee. Its sponsors include the white separatist Council of Conservative Citizens and the Institute for Historical Review, a Holocaust denial group.[5]

According to its statement of principles, the show stands for the "Dispossessed Majority" and represents "a philosophy that is pro-White."[6] It has attracted criticism—including from The Nation, The New Republic, the Stephen Roth Institute, the Southern Poverty Law Center (SPLC), and the Anti-Defamation League—for its promotion of anti-semitic, white nationalist and white supremacist views.[7][8] According to the SPLC, the show has featured a "Who's Who of the radical right", including members of the Ku Klux Klan; they say Edwards has probably done more than anyone in America to promote neo-Nazis, Holocaust deniers and other extremists

He is also tweeting that folks should deliberately place pork in the halal section of supermarkets noting that this will force the owners to discard all of the food...
Alderaan delenda est

#3304 User is offline   Elianna 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-December-01, 21:40

View Postcherdano, on 2016-December-01, 17:25, said:

I have been an immigrant myself for the last 10 years (in two different countries).

I can promise you that almost no non-citizens voted in the US election. The reason is simple. As a non-citizen, you are much more afraid of committing felonies. You have fewer rights in any legal proceedings. And you have quite a bit more to lose - even minor infractions could cause you to get deported. (Or just not get your VISA renewed.) AKA having to move away from the place where you work, where you have friends, etc.

Indeed, the whole premise of the question is that even citizens may be afraid of voting - if they have family, or friends with the same address who are not, and who may not have a legal right to stay in the US. This fear may sound irrational to you. But to me (again, having been an immigrant myself for 10 years) it seems much more plausible than trying to vote illegally as a non-citizen (or, for heaven's sake, as an undocumented immigrant). Why risk your existence for a single vote that almost certainly won't change the outcome?

Besides that, they would have had to register to vote, too. People can't just wake up on the day of an election and decide to vote for the first time.

And I hear people say that they don't want to register to vote because they don't want to be called to jury duty (which, btw, is not the case anymore); It sounds very plausible to me that people would be afraid that having their (DOCUMENTED) relatives register to vote would bring attention to themselves.
My addiction to Mario Bros #3 has come back!

#3305 User is offline   y66 

Posted 2016-December-01, 22:25

From Trump and Clinton Aides Clash During Election Forum:

CAMBRIDGE, Mass. — Top strategists from the campaigns of Donald J. Trump and Hillary Clinton, interrupting each other and sometimes raising their voices, engaged in an angry debate on Thursday about how Mr. Trump pulled off his upset victory.

Emotions were still raw at the campaign post-mortem, held at Harvard’s Institute of Politics, particularly over the influence of Stephen K. Bannon, who left Breitbart News — which he has called a “platform” for the white nationalist alt-right — to help run Mr. Trump’s campaign.

With campaign managers and pollsters talking over one another and a large crowd of campaign veterans from the news media looking on, Ms. Palmieri said her proudest moment from the campaign was a speech Mrs. Clinton gave in Nevada condemning the alt-right.

“I would rather lose than win the way you guys did,” Ms. Palmieri said.

Kellyanne Conway, who was Mr. Trump’s third and final campaign manager, asked, “How exactly did we win?”

She answered her own question: by connecting with voters in places “where we were either ignored or mocked roundly by most of the people in this room.”

“Do you think I ran a campaign where white supremacists had a platform?” Ms. Conway asked Ms. Palmieri. “You’re going to look me in the face and tell me that?”

Ms. Conway went on, pointing out Mrs. Clinton’s failings. “Do you think you could have just had a decent message for the white working-class voters?” she asked the Clinton advisers. “How about it’s Hillary Clinton, she doesn’t connect with people? How about they had nothing in common with her? How about you had no economic message?”

Earth to Jennifer P: Condemning the alt-right was not more important than figuring out how to win the white working-class vote. Come on.
If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

#3306 User is offline   PassedOut 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Music, films, computer programming, politics, bridge

Posted 2016-December-01, 22:48

View Posthrothgar, on 2016-December-01, 21:26, said:

Nice find!

Lots as if Jon is retweeting a lot of @JamesEdwardsTPC

He is also tweeting that folks should deliberately place pork in the halal section of supermarkets noting that this will force the owners to discard all of the food...

Yes, I saw those too. Reading down those tweets is like watching people swim in a cesspool. And the president-elect in there swimming with them.
:(
The growth of wisdom may be gauged exactly by the diminution of ill temper. — Friedrich Nietzsche
The infliction of cruelty with a good conscience is a delight to moralists — that is why they invented hell. — Bertrand Russell

#3307 User is offline   Winstonm 

• Interests:Art, music

Posted 2016-December-01, 23:33

View PostPassedOut, on 2016-December-01, 22:48, said:

Yes, I saw those too. Reading down those tweets is like watching people swim in a cesspool. And the president-elect in there swimming with them.
:(

These people, from the top down, are extremely dangerous because they have a tribal mentality and they are spiteful and vindictive.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#3308 User is offline   hrothgar 

Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2016-December-02, 06:24

I would like to make a serious request that the moderators ban jonottawa from the BBOForums

I argue that any/all of the content that he is posting is equivalent to advertising.
As such, it should be removed and the account should be banned.

1. It has been years since Jon has made any posts on the forums that are related to bridge
2. Jon's twitter feed demonstrates that his primary reason for posting is an attempt to gain credibility in other forums

Consider the following example post from Jon's Twitter account

https://twitter.com/...069160296873984

He's not posting on the BBOForums because he want's to interact with the individuals here.
Rather, he's posting ridiculous abuse in an attempt to promote himself to his cretinous Twittter followers

Frankly, I don't see the difference between this and advertising penis enlargement pills
Alderaan delenda est

#3309 User is offline   Al_U_Card 

Posted 2016-December-02, 07:08

Deplorables, meet despicables.

#3310 User is offline   kenberg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-December-02, 07:47

View Postcherdano, on 2016-December-01, 17:25, said:

I have been an immigrant myself for the last 10 years (in two different countries).

I can promise you that almost no non-citizens voted in the US election. The reason is simple. As a non-citizen, you are much more afraid of committing felonies. You have fewer rights in any legal proceedings. And you have quite a bit more to lose - even minor infractions could cause you to get deported. (Or just not get your VISA renewed.) AKA having to move away from the place where you work, where you have friends, etc.

Indeed, the whole premise of the question is that even citizens may be afraid of voting - if they have family, or friends with the same address who are not, and who may not have a legal right to stay in the US. This fear may sound irrational to you. But to me (again, having been an immigrant myself for 10 years) it seems much more plausible than trying to vote illegally as a non-citizen (or, for heaven's sake, as an undocumented immigrant). Why risk your existence for a single vote that almost certainly won't change the outcome?

A while back I agreed with winston,, then I agreed with hrothgar, now I agree with you. I may have to rethink.

Anyway, of course this is right. If I were illegally anywhere, I would keep a low profile. If I snuck into a movie theater without paying I would not complain to the management about the popcorn. It just boggles the mind to try to imagine large scale voting fraud of the sort often described. Who would do it and why? Almost certainly he would expect to be paid. Do you put an ad in the paper? It's nuts on the face of it.

Now using technology to commit fraud, voter fraud, banking fraud, what have you, might be another matter. I hope we are on top of that. Proper precaution should be a very bipartisan, or pan-partisan, ideal.

But the immediate stuff is worse. If Donald trump had any sense of responsibility, and if there were any grounds for concern, I would expect that he would quietly speak to a modest sized group of individuals of extensive experience and rock solid integrity. He would form a commission, he would come before the country with clear details of why the commission iis needed and what its charter is. If there is any there there, this would have wide support. Instead he tweets.

I am worried, but to a large extent I am simply embarrassed by our choice of a president.
Ken

#3311 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2016-December-02, 09:11

View Posthrothgar, on 2016-December-02, 06:24, said:

Frankly, I don't see the difference between this and advertising penis enlargement pills

Penis enlargement pills don't encourage hate and intolerance.

Seriously, I cannot believe you guys are still feeding the troll. I stopped about 20 pages back It is only a shame that his sh!te has made this thread almost unreadable. Look back objectively at the way this thread has deteriorated and you have to admit the trolling won out here. Let's please make sure this is the only thread that gets ruined.
(-: Zel :-)

#3312 User is offline   andrei 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-December-02, 09:40

View PostAl_U_Card, on 2016-December-02, 07:08, said:

Deplorables, meet despicables.

Despicables, aren't they funny?
This thread has provided so much entertainment since election night.

Now I have to go and delete all my profiles, the Internet police is out, looking.
Don't argue with a fool. He has a rested brain
Before internet age you had a suspicion there are lots of "not-so-smart" people on the planet. Now you even know their names.

#3313 User is offline   Al_U_Card 

Posted 2016-December-02, 09:50

View Postandrei, on 2016-December-02, 09:40, said:

Now I have to go and delete all my profiles, the Internet police is out, looking.

Not a laughing matter. Just sad.

#3314 User is offline   hrothgar 

Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2016-December-02, 10:13

Its a crying shame that people don't treat you the same after they figure out that you're a neo-Nazi...
Alderaan delenda est

#3315 User is offline   alok c 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-December-02, 10:22

View PostZelandakh, on 2016-December-02, 09:11, said:

Seriously, I cannot believe you guys are still feeding the troll. I stopped about 20 pages back It is only a shame that his sh!te has made this thread almost unreadable. Look back objectively at the way this thread has deteriorated and you have to admit the trolling won out here. Let's please make sure this is the only thread that gets ruined.

I cautioned you people earlier :)

#3316 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2016-December-02, 10:27

Hmmm

A raving lunatic, who boasted that his posts here were intended for some other 'audience' was exposed as a neo-Nazi twitter asshole, with clear symptoms of mental illness.

Andrei's response to this exposure is fear that his identity will be found out as well?

Most of us here have no worries about being known.

I wonder why Andrei is so worried?

Hmmm

Birds of a feather, perhaps?
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#3317 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2016-December-02, 10:39

View Posthrothgar, on 2016-December-02, 10:13, said:

Its a crying shame that people don't treat you the same after they figure out that you're a neo-Nazi...

Well, it certainly changes the conversation during holiday dinners!
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#3318 User is offline   hrothgar 

Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2016-December-02, 10:47

View PostZelandakh, on 2016-December-02, 09:11, said:

Yeah, but the BBO moderators don't take actions regarding hate and intolerance.
The do act wrt advertizing...
Alderaan delenda est

#3319 User is offline   andrei 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-December-02, 10:56

View Postmikeh, on 2016-December-02, 10:27, said:

Hmmm

A raving lunatic, who boasted that his posts here were intended for some other 'audience' was exposed as a neo-Nazi twitter asshole, with clear symptoms of mental illness.

Andrei's response to this exposure is fear that his identity will be found out as well?

Most of us here have no worries about being known.

I wonder why Andrei is so worried?

Hmmm

Birds of a feather, perhaps?

Worried, huh?
You guys really crack me up.
Don't argue with a fool. He has a rested brain
Before internet age you had a suspicion there are lots of "not-so-smart" people on the planet. Now you even know their names.

#3320 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2016-December-02, 11:01

View Posthrothgar, on 2016-December-02, 10:47, said:

Yeah, but the BBO moderators don't take actions regarding hate and intolerance.
The do act wrt advertizing...

Actually BBF TOS specify no hateful material:

1. You will not engage in conduct or post any material that is defamatory, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise in violation of ANY law. Doing any of these is a good way to find yourself barred from the forums. The board should never go above PG-rated for any reason.

• 1075 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

39 User(s) are reading this topic
1 members, 38 guests, 0 anonymous users

1. Facebook,
  2. Al Phalpha