• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

BPO-005C

#21 User is offline   MickyB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2005-September-21, 08:43

Good points Ben.

Justin - August 05, Problem F. Just looking now...KJ62 7542 Q643 7, Kleinman found a pass of this 2nd double, and at least a few others considered it to show a big bal hand. Like you, I'd have expected typical shapes to be 3451 and 3442.

#22 Guest_Jlall_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 2005-September-21, 08:45

MickyB, on Sep 21 2005, 09:43 AM, said:

Good points Ben.

Justin - August 05, Problem F. Just looking now...KJ62 7542 Q643 7, Kleinman found a pass of this 2nd double, and at least a few others considered it to show a big bal hand. Like you, I'd have expected typical shapes to be 3451 and 3442.

hehe...well I don't think 1 person is the majority. There is always 1...

#23 User is offline   Chamaco 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Chess, Bridge, Jazz, European Cinema, Motorbiking, Tango dancing

Posted 2005-September-21, 08:45

inquiry, on Sep 21 2005, 03:42 AM, said:

Scoring: IMP

BPO-005C
EAST SOUTH WEST NORTH
  1     DBL     2     DBL
   3     ? your bid

RHO opens 1, you dbl, LHO raises to 2 partner doubles, RHO bids 3 to you.

]

This hand had a optical illusion to me.

At first I felt the big urge to bid 3NT, but then I thought it was quite a gamble, that would need probably to expect to pick up BOTH minors for no losers, an eventuality against odds, by listening to the bidding.

The second urge was "What the heck, if I cannot bid 3NT I'll double!"; but yet again, it is not clear we are going to defeat the contract by much if opps can score 8-9 tricks in the major and ruff the second round of our minors.

My third, and final consideration was the following:
"After all, this is a minimum opener, despite 15 hcp; if I did not hold the J of hearts, I'd pass. Better pass and leave to pard the choice"
"Bridge is like dance: technique's important but what really matters is not to step on partner's feet !"

#24 User is offline   Echognome 

• Deipnosophist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2005-September-21, 09:46

Double and lead trumps. Ax is the worst trump holding of course as trumps rate to be 6-3. But if I can cut down 1 ruff in dummy, then we might set this.

I do not believe this double to be penalty (you made a T/O double to begin with). But p has asked you to choose a suit and you do not have a good suit for partner. Only way to tell him this is with pass or double. I think pass is a bit on the wimpy side.
"Half the people you know are below average." - Steven Wright

#25 User is offline   pigpenz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2005-September-21, 10:17

i voted for pass its the chicken in me

#26 User is offline   whereagles 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Everything!

Posted 2005-September-21, 11:14

I think I doubled.. can't remember.. lol.

Still, I don't think they can make this. Dbl seems fair. (This is obviously penalties.. pard already gave his hand with the responsive dbl.)

#27 User is offline   Double ! 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:My personal interests are my family and my friends. I am extremely concerned about the lives and futures of the kids (and their families) that I work with. I care about the friends I have made on BBO. Also, I am extremely concerned about the environment/ ecology/ wildlife/ the little planet that we call Earth. How much more of the world's habitat and food supply for animals do we plan on destroying. How many more wetlands are we going to drain, fill, and build on? How many more sand dunes are we going to knock down in the interests of high-rise hotels or luxury homes?

Posted 2005-September-21, 13:54

I voted for Double (of course).

However, IMO a major crux of this problem that hasn't been discussed so far is the meaning of partner's responsive double. I know of some people who play that this implies 4-card heart support and enough to compete at the 3-level (but not wanting to hang partner should partner only have 3 hearts). I know of others who play that the responsive double is more minor-suit oriented with enough to compete, and that these people would bid 3 hearts with a 4-card heart suit. (i.e.: If you have hearts, bid them in response to 1S-X which usually is looking for a heart contract). Curious to know what the current take is regarding the responsive double.
"That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!"

#28 Guest_Jlall_*

Posted 2005-September-21, 14:10

to me the responsive X shows tolerance for hearts, but usually not 4 (unless partner was planning to X then bid hearts to show a flexible hand with 4 hearts). a typical shape for him would be the same as us. He could also be 3334, 13(54) etc.

#29 User is offline   Rebound 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2005-September-21, 15:02

I agree with you, Justin, which is why I want to axe this contract. Mirrored distribution is, I'm sure you'll agree, generally a bad thing offensively. We should be able to set this on power after A-x trump lead.
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy - but it might improve my bridge.

#30 Guest_Jlall_*

Posted 2005-September-21, 15:12

Rebound, on Sep 21 2005, 04:02 PM, said:

I agree with you, Justin, which is why I want to axe this contract. Mirrored distribution is, I'm sure you'll agree, generally a bad thing offensively. We should be able to set this on power after A-x trump lead.

sure but if our red opps are not insane they will likely have 10 trumps, in which case we will make a game in a minor (likely). However, with a stiff pard will not sit, but I don't think he will sit with a doubleton either.

#31 User is offline   inquiry 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2005-September-21, 17:35

This time, pass is a clear cut winner, six votes to four (for double). Even amongst the doublers, there is some difference of opinion what it means. Pass seems right me too.

FRED "Pass - Am I really supposed to bid on this flat defensive hand because I have an extra Jack? Partner is still alive. If he wants to act again he is welcome to do so. I think 3S is a favorite to go down and I have no reason to believe that we can make anything at the 4-level. As such, it would be a mistake for me to take any action that rates to result in our side declaring instead of defending."

Fluffy "Pass, clearly the toughest for me, first I discarded pass for being a bit too strong, then 1 by one, discarded all the othe 5 choices for being even worse. 4♥ was close, but might find partner with 2344 also and will cost at least 1400. At the table I wouldn't pass because I jammed my partner's choices of reopening by thinking too much."

Beto "Pass. Game here is out of question and if we can make 4m they will probably go down in 3♠. This would be a very difficult problem in MPs, where maybe you have to double to collect 200."

NG: "Double. I don't agree my first bid, I would have bid 1NT, not double. Partner's
double is responsive, promises minors. What means East's 3S (and 2S)?
Preemtive? Constructive? If 3S is preemtive, I double, it is not penalty but
promises minors also, and a good hand. My second choice is 4C. "

Roland "PASS. This hand has defense written all over it. Yes, I know we have at least one fit in a minor after partner's responsive double, but we don't make game. The 2S raise can be very weak, but I still don't fancy my chances in 3NT. At best it's on a finesse if partner has five clubs to the ace and HA. Do partners ever have ideal cards?"

Sergey "Pass - I don't like my 15 soft points to bid now. For making a game (3N) partner must have at least dAKxx and cAxxx. With this hand (or weaker one including 2A) he will reopen with Dbl which we'll pass. If we dbl now showing extras partner will pass with balanced min hand relying on TNT (17 trumps) and 3sX may be made. "

Ritong "Pass I remember this one, the guy doubled & led the ace when it was swished out. Share none of these options, do not bid when game is reasonably out of the picture. "

Justin "Double . Hoping they will get caught in the rhythm and bid 4S which partner can X. Just kidding, this is pretty marginal but I suspect the opps may be trying to steal from us. I X to show extra values and no good suit to bid. I don't think my hand is right to bid 3N; once they knock out my spade I'll need 8 more fast tricks. I'm hoping to get us to 5 of a minor with this bid."

Luis: "Action double. Pd's double shows the minors, my double shows I have a fit for one or both of pd's suits BUT I will accept a 3NT bid as an option.
The only way I have to mantain both 3NT and 5m in the picture is with a dbl
so it's very easy for pd to understand."

Reisig "To me X (here) says I have something so say ..but not clear what. So ..I'd double. "

Flytoox "Double. I have more than minimum. Double should still be takeout here, as we did not found a fit yet. However, I do not mind partner pass my double. " [/i]

Scores
PASS = 100
DBL = 70
--Ben--

#32 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-January-04, 22:25

I totally missed the boat here, my hand sucks and it's an easy pass. I do not want to compete to 4 of a minor with a hand like this. MATURITY!

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users