• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Play 4D

#1 User is offline   rduran1216 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-May-20, 21:47

imps, team game

First question, agree with 2S, or start with double?

Second question, Opening lead A of hearts K of hearts, you trump.

If you cash AK of diamonds LHO shows out on the second diamond.

How do you proceed?
Aaron Jones Unit 557

www.longbeachbridge.com

#2 User is offline   dave_w 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-May-21, 00:16

Interesting play problem.
But firstly, lol@2S. Come on, what hand doubles? Bidding 2S shows that you don't trust partner to be declarer. You deserve to have partner be a 2425 and preference Diamonds and get doubled and have to play it. 2S shows a 4+S/6+D hand.

After cashing AK you need to find one of the black kings onside. If it's the Spade King, exit in clubs (overtaking the J if necessary) to take the Spade finesse and ruff two Spades. If it's the Club King then Exit with the Q! and then ruff two Spades and take the Club finesse. Unfortunately, you have to guess which King is on your right, and there's nothing to go on. 50% chance. Maybe cashing the AK was wrong (especially since Hearts rate to be 6-3, so the percentage play must be to finesse in Diamonds .... if Hearts are 5-4 then on the bidding I'd say it's even clearer to hook in Diamonds - RHO bidding conservatively with 4 trumps and LHO bidding aggressively).

So Ace and then ....
I'd play to take 5 Diamond tricks, one Spade and a Spade ruff, and three Club tricks.
so exit with the J (overtaking with the Queen). Worst case RHO wins and plays one back - win in dummy and hook the Diamond. And that loses too :( (ugh, partner is going to be pissed if I go down ...). They exit in Hearts, I ruff, unblock the A, cross to dummy in trumps and take the Spade finesse.

I guess that's about the same as playing A and then exiting with the Q except I might have problems with my 4th spade now.

#3 User is offline   rtewari 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2012-May-21, 00:29

Having played AK of diamonds and knowing West to be short in D, I would play east for longer spades (as with 4-5 maojors, west is more likely to double) and shorter club. So place spade king on right...

Play club ace (just in case singleton king on right), club jack to queen. Planning to take spade finesse and set up a club winner in dummy and ruff dummy's heart for 2S, 5D, 3C...
RT

#4 User is offline   rbforster 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-May-21, 08:21

What about exiting a diamond now, and planning on reversing dummy with another heart ruff in hand if they continue them (or taking whatever finesse is offered by RHO)? If they play a heart, exit in clubs and plan on taking the spade hook at the end.

#5 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-21, 13:48

This is a guess we must enter dumy sacrifying one finese in either black suit, there is not much difference in one of another. Vacant spaces make it extremelly unlikelly that any black king falls so its a 50-50 IMO.

#6 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2012-May-21, 13:55

View Postrtewari, on 2012-May-21, 00:29, said:

Having played AK of diamonds and knowing West to be short in D, I would play east for longer spades (as with 4-5 maojors, west is more likely to double)

Disagree, but I can't see anything better to go on either.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#7 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2012-May-21, 14:17

rduran1216 writes"imps, team game First question, agree with 2S, or start with double?
Second question, Opening lead A of hearts K of hearts, you trump.
If you cash AK of diamonds LHO shows out on the second diamond. How do you proceed?

IMO
1. Double = 10, 2 = 8
2. (Starting AK). Probably, a defensive error is a better hope than a singleton black king so to T,
If T wins, then ruff the third with J, cash A and exit in .
If this fails, you can take finesse and you aren't much worse off :)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users