Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Curtious Waiting Time

#1 User is offline   AAr 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2005-October-08, 03:34

I want to discuss what should I do so I can keep my seat if I get disconnected.

The way my server is set up (Slow server, back-up server going down whenever main server goes down, etc.)., if I get disconnected (and I do on occasion), I have to restart Windows, reload my ISP (AOL) and reload BBO, a process which requires a lot of waiting (something you can't do more quickly in a hurry), and this process takes five minutes.

Worse yet, if my computer freezes (and it has been quite often lately), I have to shut off my computer, wait at least five minutes (making sure that every second of the 5 minutes is completely up before turning my computer back on), (And, waiting five minutes alone takes *five minutes* and then everything else, a process which takes *ten minutes*.

Still, I make every effort to get back Online and to my table as quickly as possible, and don't try to leave in middle of hands/tourneys.

Furthermore, even though I would like my seat to still be there in Main, a tourney, etc., if I get disconnected and take five or even ten minutes to get back to BBO, I don't want to and will refuse to give more than three minutes courtesy to others (I don't have the patience, don't want other players at my tables to leave, and I know that three minutes is the standard.).

With all this in mind, what kind of situations would they be most apt to give me five minutes to get back online? Ten minutes?

A. Main Bridge Club.
B. Unclocked Tourney.
C. Clocked Tourney (2 Boards/Round, 18 Min./Round).
D. Clocked Tourney (2 Boards/Round, 16 Min./Round).
E. Clocked Tourney (1 Board/Round, 9 Min./Round).
F. None of the above.

Thanks!

#2 User is offline   Gerben42 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Astronomy, Mathematics
    Nuclear power

Posted 2005-October-08, 04:35

The only way I can see people wait even 5 minutes if you know the other 3 players and they know you will come back. Otherwise, not a chance.

I can't understand why if you turn of your computer you have to wait 5 minutes. The computer at this point is not doing anything so you can turn it back on right away.

Reinstall Windows and start with a clean sheet helps avoid freezing.
Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do!
My Bridge Systems Page

BC Kultcamp Rieneck

#3 User is offline   Walddk 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Cricket

Posted 2005-October-08, 04:39

AAr, on Oct 8 2005, 11:34 AM, said:

Furthermore, even though I would like my seat to still be there in Main, a tourney, etc., if I get disconnected and take five or even ten minutes to get back to BBO, I don't want to and will refuse to give more than three minutes courtesy to others (I don't have the patience, don't want other players at my tables to leave, and I know that three minutes is the standard.).

With all this in mind, what kind of situations would they be most apt to give me five minutes to get back online? Ten minutes?

A. Main Bridge Club.
B. Unclocked Tourney.
C. Clocked Tourney (2 Boards/Round, 18 Min./Round).
D. Clocked Tourney (2 Boards/Round, 16 Min./Round).
E. Clocked Tourney (1 Board/Round, 9 Min./Round).
F. None of the above.

Thanks!

F.

How can you expect others to give you 5+ minutes when you don't have the patience to give them more than 3?

Roland
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice

#4 User is offline   Gerben42 

Nuclear power

Posted 2005-October-08, 05:33

I just figured: If you really need to wait 5 minutes after a freeze it probably means your CPU was too hot. Maybe a hardware problem? (broken fan?)
My Bridge Systems Page

BC Kultcamp Rieneck

#5 User is offline   Brandal 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2005-October-08, 07:00

Gerben42, on Oct 8 2005, 06:33 AM, said:

I just figured: If you really need to wait 5 minutes after a freeze it probably means your CPU was too hot. Maybe a hardware problem? (broken fan?)

Sounds probable....would check cpu-fan,
graphics-card fan,cabinet-fan.

If you don't have a cabinet-fan or even two,
it could be a generally overheated mainboard too.

I have 3 cabinet-fans,one very big that cools
the 3 harddrives,also important.

Can NEVER get too much cooling :)
"Never argue with fools, they'll drag you down to their level, and then, beat you with experience"

#6 User is offline   Gerben42 

Nuclear power

Posted 2005-October-08, 07:06

Exactly. Run your PC while it is swimming in liquid nitrogen. If that doesn't solve the problem, it wasn't the fan :)
My Bridge Systems Page

BC Kultcamp Rieneck

#7 User is offline   sceptic 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2005-October-08, 07:25

I don't want to and will refuse to give more than three minutes courtesy to others

HI AAR

That statement is unbelievable, I don't think I have ever critisised anyone publically here before, but, you are unbelievable, I find the arrogance in this statement unreal.

Anyway if you want to solve your problems, get a new ISP, I had AOL and that happened to me all the time, most frustrating I found it.

by the way, I used to wait 5 minutes also, no idea why, but it seemed to help, even though it is illogical as Gerben says.

But I had same problem on 2 different spec computers and the only change I made was DUMPING AOL.

#8 User is offline   McBruce 

• NOS (usually)
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2005-October-08, 12:58

AAr, on Oct 8 2005, 01:34 AM, said:

I want to discuss what should I do so I can keep my seat if I get disconnected.

I think the best course of action is to look for a better Internet connection. Failing that as a possibility, you'll have to confine yourself to setting up games with other players whose connections are unreliable.
ACBL TD--got my start in 2002 directing games at BBO!
Please come back to the live game; I directed enough online during COVID for several lifetimes.
Bruce McIntyre, Yamaha WX5 Roland AE-10G AKAI EWI SOLO virtuoso-in-training

#9 User is offline   DelfinoD 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2005-October-08, 17:10

In my tournamet I have a rule, that your partner can wait for you up to two boards (16 minutes) but the penalty is ave- for you (ave+ for opps.). That's how I tend to promote non one-tourney pairs. I don't really know if this is a good rule.

#10 User is offline   Gerardo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2005-October-08, 19:17

Unusual. I for one like it. When I ran tourneys, I used to require partner's permission before subbing.

#11 User is offline   AAr 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2005-October-09, 03:15

Well, for one, I use an old Version (4.0, when 9.0 is available), and don't like to bother upgrading. AOL 9.0 is probably faster. I also have dial-up, even though I know that Broadband is faster.

Also, I have a 6-year old computer (I got it in 1999.), and that likely also is part of the problem.

I also have Windows 98, which isn't the newest Version, either.

It usually takes me about 2 minutes for Windows to load, 1 minute for the AOL screen to load, about 1 minute and a half to get connected, and another minute to log on to BBO. If my computer freezes, I must shut my computer and wait at least 5 minutes. If I wait less than 5 minutes, it makes a beeping noise (perhaps further damaging my computer) and stays blank, and the time resets to 0 (meaning I now have to wait 8 or 9 minutes total). All that is why it often takes me as long as 10 minutes to get back to BBO after I get disconnected.

I know it's unrealistic to expect my seat still there after making them wait that long, but would they give me more consideration if I tell them in advance?

#12 User is offline   Brandal 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2005-October-09, 04:06

AAr, on Oct 9 2005, 04:15 AM, said:

Well, for one, I use an old Version (4.0, when 9.0 is available), and don't like to bother upgrading. AOL 9.0 is probably faster. I also have dial-up, even though I know that Broadband is faster.

Also, I have a 6-year old computer (I got it in 1999.), and that likely also is part of the problem.

I also have Windows 98, which isn't the newest Version, either.

It usually takes me about 2 minutes for Windows to load, 1 minute for the AOL screen to load, about 1 minute and a half to get connected, and another minute to log on to BBO. If my computer freezes, I must shut my computer and wait at least 5 minutes. If I wait less than 5 minutes, it makes a beeping noise (perhaps further damaging my computer) and stays blank, and the time resets to 0 (meaning I now have to wait 8 or 9 minutes total). All that is why it often takes me as long as 10 minutes to get back to BBO after I get disconnected.

I know it's unrealistic to expect my seat still there after making them wait that long, but would they give me more consideration if I tell them in advance?

From what you're writing here,I'd be on the lookout
for a nicely priced new computer and get broadband
before I worried about whether people would wait
for me on BBO or not...

Sounds like serious hardware issues that can go
belly up any day.
"Never argue with fools, they'll drag you down to their level, and then, beat you with experience"

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users