• You cannot reply to this topic

BPO-006F

#21 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2005-October-07, 15:40

Hannie, on Oct 7 2005, 06:08 PM, said:

Great problem, very tough.

I wonder what the people who think that this question is pointless do when they hold it at the table.

I chose 5C... after pondering for a long time about 5D and 5NT (pick a slam).

At these colors partner will know that I expect to make 5C and may be able to raise to 6C.

I will bid 6D if partner bids 5D.

And if opponents bid 5, I think there is a good case for bidding 5NT next round.

Arend
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#22 User is offline   luke warm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, poker, politics

Posted 2005-October-07, 17:06

006F - i bid 5H, and i still like it.. unfortunately, i appear to be the only one who does heh
"Paul Krugman is a stupid person's idea of what a smart person sounds like." Newt Gingrich (paraphrased)

#23 User is offline   Double ! 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:My personal interests are my family and my friends. I am extremely concerned about the lives and futures of the kids (and their families) that I work with. I care about the friends I have made on BBO. Also, I am extremely concerned about the environment/ ecology/ wildlife/ the little planet that we call Earth. How much more of the world's habitat and food supply for animals do we plan on destroying. How many more wetlands are we going to drain, fill, and build on? How many more sand dunes are we going to knock down in the interests of high-rise hotels or luxury homes?

Posted 2005-October-07, 19:34

I voted for 5 clubs

I don't know yet what my partner has, but I do have an 8-bagger in clubs and 10-4th in P's suit. Seems reasonable to bid an 8-card suit headed by an ace.
I really want to hear what lho does over 5C. I shall attempt to make a reasonable decision at that point. Under such pressure my first objective is to obtain a reasonable result given the situation. Maybe P will be able to take further action!! :-) It's not clear at all that 5C will end the bidding.

ps: This problem drove me nuts. The hand could make anything from 10 to 13 tricks, depending on partner's hand. Whose idea was this hand, anyway?

DHL
"That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!"

#24 User is offline   Gerben42 

• Interests:Astronomy, Mathematics
    Nuclear power

Posted 2005-October-08, 02:55

Whose idea was this hand, anyway?

Well I guess someone had this problem, so the deal generator!

Agree that the bad idea that we're playing 3-card opening bid makes this problem impossible. I bid 5.
Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do!
My Bridge Systems Page

BC Kultcamp Rieneck

#25 User is offline   reisig 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2005-October-08, 13:05

I posted this problem ...because I had this hand in actual play in a high level IMP match. There are many possible answers here, but I think you are guessing at whatever choice you make. But - my view was - I'd like to be plus on this hand. I felt my best shot way talking the opponents into a save...so I jumped to 6 - LHO bid 6 and partner with 6 solid s..bid the grand ...forcing them to 7. 5 is down 1 ..by the way.

#26 User is online   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2005-October-08, 13:33

reisig, on Oct 8 2005, 02:05 PM, said:

5 is down 1 ..by the way.

The only ways I am down are if I lose 2 trump tricks and a ruff (which requires very weird shape on my right) or 3 trump tricks: the latter being more likely. That makes partner stiff or void in with a decent hand (he bid 7) so am I really going to be passed in 5?

I voted for 5 to be followed by 5N, so I get in both suits... not with precision, admittedly.

BTW, Richie, does 1 for you promise 4?
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#27 User is offline   reisig 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2005-October-08, 14:15

Mike ...1 promised 3+ -- partner had 1 (small) theirs were 4-0..(KQJx)..so over 5 - they'd happily Pass.

#28 Guest_Jlall_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 2005-October-08, 14:27

how many diamonds did partner have? If they were 6 solid or longer he may correct to diamonds (if they were SOLID).

#29 User is offline   luke warm 

• Interests:Bridge, poker, politics

Posted 2005-October-08, 14:32

i have a question, richie (or anyone else)... how would your partner interpret a 5H bid by you? i guess i'm trying to figure out why it's such a poor bid
"Paul Krugman is a stupid person's idea of what a smart person sounds like." Newt Gingrich (paraphrased)

#30 User is offline   Double ! 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:My personal interests are my family and my friends. I am extremely concerned about the lives and futures of the kids (and their families) that I work with. I care about the friends I have made on BBO. Also, I am extremely concerned about the environment/ ecology/ wildlife/ the little planet that we call Earth. How much more of the world's habitat and food supply for animals do we plan on destroying. How many more wetlands are we going to drain, fill, and build on? How many more sand dunes are we going to knock down in the interests of high-rise hotels or luxury homes?

Posted 2005-October-08, 14:47

Jlall, on Oct 8 2005, 03:27 PM, said:

how many diamonds did partner have? If they were 6 solid or longer he may correct to diamonds (if they were SOLID).

I suspect that many who selected 5C, might have done so with the hope that opener might correct to diamonds with such a holding, making bidding slam a much more likely proposition.
I must say that I admire the 6D bid to elicit a sac. I recall an article eons ago after two of the highest ranking US players had had a bad result following a 1m-3H(by opps)-? situation, when the 1m opener said to his/her partner something like "when the bidding goes 1m-3M-?, I do not have a balanced minimum!! or something to that extent. That certainly ran through my mind before and as I ultimately chose a losing bid.
"That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!"

#31 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2005-October-08, 15:01

I disagree that this is a total guess.

I do think we can make some educated estimates and come to some decisions that have some "reasonable chances" to work.

1) Bidding boldy may make the opp sac or if not then;

2) FTL gives us a hint that if we have 19 working hcp we can often make 12 tricks in our longest suit with this shape. Partner did open 1D is another hint.

3) Bidding clubs and hoping partner will have the judgement to correct when winning is another option.

4) If I double or cuebid I do not know where I am headed or what information I have gained that is all that useful? In any event doubling with a void at the 4 level is anathema to me.

#32 User is offline   Walddk 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Cricket

Posted 2005-October-08, 15:07

I don't understand why we are supposed to make a decision or an educated guess when we can ask him for advice. How about getting both minors suits into play? 5 doesn't show a diamond fit; 4NT does, with emphasis on clubs.

Roland
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice

#33 User is offline   Blofeld 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:mathematics, science fiction, Tolkien, go, fencing, word games, board games, bad puns, juggling, Mornington Crescent, philosophy, Tom Lehrer, rock climbing, jootsing, drinking tea, plotting to take over the world, croquet . . . and most other things, really.

Posted 2005-October-08, 15:21

What do you think are the relative merits of 4NT and 5NT? 4NT is obviously better if you're going to leave it at the 5-level. I thought 5NT would be nicer, as I'm not sure that the opponents have finished bidding yet, and I wanted to let partner know my slam intentions immediately. I feel that 5NT is more likely than 4NT to fetch a sacrifice, which could be a good thing or a bad thing.

#34 User is offline   Walddk 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2005-October-08, 15:32

Blofeld, on Oct 8 2005, 11:21 PM, said:

What do you think are the relative merits of 4NT and 5NT? 4NT is obviously better if you're going to leave it at the 5-level. I thought 5NT would be nicer, as I'm not sure that the opponents have finished bidding yet, and I wanted to let partner know my slam intentions immediately. I feel that 5NT is more likely than 4NT to fetch a sacrifice, which could be a good thing or a bad thing.

I, and hopefully partner too, would like to know if my LHO can bid 5 first. That gives us both a better chance to evaluate how to proceed after that. That's the reason why I prefer 4NT to 5NT. Additionally, 5NT could very well be interpreted as a grand slam try. I have a good hand until now, but it's not that good.

Roland

#35 Guest_Jlall_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 2005-October-08, 15:48

Isn't there a possibility that 4N will be interpreted as keycard? I prefer to play it the way roland is obviously intending it as, but I don't think it is standard (maybe it is).

#36 User is offline   Blofeld 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:mathematics, science fiction, Tolkien, go, fencing, word games, board games, bad puns, juggling, Mornington Crescent, philosophy, Tom Lehrer, rock climbing, jootsing, drinking tea, plotting to take over the world, croquet . . . and most other things, really.

Posted 2005-October-08, 15:51

It wouldn't have crossed my mind that 4NT might be keycard if you hadn't just suggested it. Reminds me of the agreement that 4 is always Gerber ...

#37 User is offline   Walddk 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2005-October-08, 15:54

Jlall, on Oct 8 2005, 11:48 PM, said:

Isn't there a possibility that 4N will be interpreted as keycard? I prefer to play it the way roland is obviously intending it as, but I don't think it is standard (maybe it is).

In competitive auctions when no fit has been established 4NT is never Blackwood to me. There must be room for a jump if 4N is to be BW. I think it's a good agreement.

Roland

#38 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2005-October-08, 15:59

We have 8 clubs, when is partner choosing clubs? I hope partner reads this as choice of strain but what level are we playing at and why?

I guess 4nt or 5nt could be the expert solution but it sure sounds confusing at this point :P. More explanation would be helpful, what strain are we playing and with what hands? What level are we playing at and why?

At least with 6D I have some reasons for level and strain, reasons that may be very wrong....but

btw it seems Russia has lost a Rocket ship, has anyone seen it and if so please return it, thanks.

#39 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2005-October-08, 16:01

I assumed 4NT would be for the minors, but I thought that partner would never expect a 4-card disparity for this bid, I think 4-6 would be a more common shape in the minors for this bid. 5 then 5NT over 5 if I get the chance should rather the suit lengths across.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#40 User is offline   Walddk 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2005-October-08, 16:07

cherdano, on Oct 9 2005, 12:01 AM, said:

I assumed 4NT would be for the minors, but I thought that partner would never expect a 4-card disparity for this bid, I think 4-6 would be a more common shape in the minors for this bid.

Right, 4-6 would be normal, but we must bid the cards we are dealt, and since we don't have 4½NT available, we shall have to compromise somehow.

Roland

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users