BBO Discussion Forums: BPO 8 Hand 2 - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

BPO 8 Hand 2

#1 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2007-January-02, 17:09

Hand 2 sees us pick up an interesting hand: Q10965 AJ10873 72 void.

Partner, nv at imps. opens 1 and bids 3N over our 1 response, showing a good hand with a good, long and strong suit, black suit stoppers and usually short s.

The panel, and all responders, wrestled with two different issues: are we content with the bird in the hand... and almost certainly cold game, or do we go seeking bigger game (slam)... whether in or s?

And if we venture out in search of s, how certain are we that partner will understand what we are doing?

Not very, seems to be the consensus of the experts. Frances goes further (well, actually, it was Jeffrey who went further): We would like to bid 4 natural but the last time this auction came up (Ed: the last time? You mean this has happened before? :) ) it was alerted as a cuebid. And even if it is natural, it is not clear that it is forcing....It is hard to believe that 5 fails when 3N makes...The thing that makes us unhappy (with our 4 bid) is that we haven't really described our hand... 5 void splinter... we'd like a third trump or at least an honour.

Fred (and Ben similarly) said that 4 was ambiguous...both as to whether it shows a suit and as to whether it is passable. My own thoughts are closer to those of Frances: to me this auction does not permit finding a 3rd suit as trump. Add to the relative infrequency of such hands the problems we have distinguishing forcing and non-forcing meanings (just how does opener advance a natural forcing 4 bid?... and how clear is that?) and 4 is a bid in search of a meaning... not a solution to a problem.

Justin felt that s were unreachable, thus implicitly agreeing with Frances about it being a cue bid....Phil Clayton also mentioned that 4 was a slam try, but did not specify whether it was natural and forcing or a cuebid. Justin (and Phil) decided that he'd take his plus score, via pass.

Fred chose 4, rather than 4, which he agreed was a cue. He felt that 4 left him better positioned to control the auction: which is needed because he is not committing to slam: he will cue 5 over 4 but otherwise signoff in 5... a plan echoed by Ben. Fred added an extra and subtle dimension to his reasoning. He felt that a cue bid now, followed by a signoff in 5, would be too likely to encourage a possibly winning trump lead.

Henri (ritong) joined Justin with a pass that he described as cowardly. If he knew that partner's club stopper was the Ace, he'd reconsider, (but lesser cards would probably be wasted in a slam).

The 20 votes (one more set arrived after I did hand 1) included 8 for pass, 4 for 4, and 5 for 4 with individual votes for 5, 6 and 5.

I think that 4 is misguided and am demoting it in the scoring. None of the 4 bidders provided comments, and thus I do not know whether they felt that it was forcing or passable, which impacts the assessment of the bid for scoring purposes. Furthermore, as Justin observed, even if partner holds Kxx in , we may not want to play in 4, and certainly no higher.

I was inclined to significantly upgrade the 4 call, chosen only by Frances: I will upgrade it but Fred's comments about the advantages of 4 (less encouraging to partner than 4 and less informative to the opps should we stop in game) persuade me that 4 is not as attractive as I had originally thought: when I put the problem on the net (I cribbed it from an old BW), I was torn between 4 and 4, but now think that 4 is much the better bid.

My scoring:

4 100
Pass 80... I don't like it, but it was popular and could work out
4 70
4 50 I'd give it less, but it got a lot of votes
5 40.... not a slam move, and a lower scoring game
6 40..... too committal, risks a minus score
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#2 Guest_Jlall_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 2007-January-02, 17:12

PFFT robbed of 100. Plurality vote!!!

haha jk, I understand there were more bidders than passers, so a bid has to be first :)

#3 User is offline   inquiry 

• Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2007-January-02, 17:26

To be fair, I added this comment... "Since it is imps, I am not going to worry about 3NT+1 versus 5=, so I will bid 4 and should partner cue-bid in spades, I will cue-bid in clubs. At matchpoints, I would pass 3NT. "

For those of you who bid on instead of passing, would you have passed at MAtchpoints?
--Ben--

#4 User is offline   pclayton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-January-02, 17:30

What I sent to Mike:

Pass. A typical hand for pard is: Kxx, x, AKQJxxx, Ax. While its very possible we have a 5-3 spade or 6-2 heart fit, a suit contract will play poorly since I will have a hard time reaching dummy’s diamonds after I pull trump. I’m hoping my AH will be our 9th trick, or we have a double club stop. 4D and 4S are slam tries, and those that try for slam are really chasing rainbows.

(I do agree that 4 is a more intelligent forward move than 4. Mike - while I wasn't clear about 4, I definitely thought it agreed 's; how about: AQx, KQxxx, xxx, xx?)
"Phil" on BBO

#5 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-January-02, 17:33

inquiry, on Jan 3 2007, 01:26 AM, said:

To be fair, I added this comment... "Since it is imps, I am not going to worry about 3NT+1 versus 5=, so I will bid 4 and should partner cue-bid in spades, I will cue-bid in clubs. At matchpoints, I would pass 3NT. "

For those of you who bid on instead of passing, would you have passed at MAtchpoints?

I didn't vote (I thought I would have more time...) but had decided on 4 - but at matchpoints I would certainly pass.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#6 User is offline   kgr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-January-02, 18:02

I wonder why 4 should agree . Why would you not start with 4 then?

#7 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2007-January-02, 18:15

pclayton, on Jan 2 2007, 06:30 PM, said:

What I sent to Mike:

Pass. A typical hand for pard is: Kxx, x, AKQJxxx, Ax. While its very possible we have a 5-3 spade or 6-2 heart fit, a suit contract will play poorly since I will have a hard time reaching dummy’s diamonds after I pull trump. I’m hoping my AH will be our 9th trick, or we have a double club stop. 4D and 4S are slam tries, and those that try for slam are really chasing rainbows.

(I do agree that 4 is a more intelligent forward move than 4. Mike - while I wasn't clear about 4, I definitely thought it agreed 's; how about: AQx, KQxxx, xxx, xx?)

:) I was pretty sure, but not absolutely sure, that you felt 4 would have been a cue... I should have emailed you, but I was running out of time :P

And for all of you who commented, I simply couldn't quote everyone and I couldn't give complete quotes of everyone...so my apologies if any feel I creared the wrong impression by my editing.. I generally am trying to quote everyone at least once, and use partial or paraphrased quotes limited to the sub-topic under immediate discussion.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#8 User is offline   mikeh 

Posted 2007-January-02, 18:17

Jlall, on Jan 2 2007, 06:12 PM, said:

haha jk, I understand there were more bidders than passers, so a bid has to be first :P

The vote is based on the expert majority/plurality, but i am giving the breakdown of all responses: only a handful of players are actually on the panel..... you are, Justin, but you were outvoted by the panel on this one, as I was on number 3 :)

#9 Guest_Jlall_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 2007-January-02, 20:46

mikeh, on Jan 2 2007, 07:17 PM, said:

Jlall, on Jan 2 2007, 06:12 PM, said:

haha jk, I understand there were more bidders than passers, so a bid has to be first :P

The vote is based on the expert majority/plurality, but i am giving the breakdown of all responses: only a handful of players are actually on the panel..... you are, Justin, but you were outvoted by the panel on this one, as I was on number 3 :)

ahh i get it

#10 User is offline   whereagles 

• Interests:Everything!

Posted 2007-January-04, 13:20

Don't remember what I bid on this one. I think it was 4, not caring if it were forcing or not. Or maybe I bid 6... dunno anymore.. lol.

#11 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-January-04, 23:00

I don't like pass now, 4D or 4C seem fine.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users