• 5 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Interesting auction

#81 Guest_Jlall_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 2007-February-22, 15:30

No offense taken at all. Appreciate the nice words, and besides it's ok Joey knows I pwn him all day :P

#82 User is offline   Echognome 

• Deipnosophist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2007-February-22, 19:33

inquiry, on Feb 22 2007, 01:14 PM, said:

Are you serious? Do you mean to say I can not pay a complement to one player without insulting justin? Do you even think anyone will ever be unanomously recongnized as the greatest bridge player? I would vote Bob Hamman today, Benito years ago, but people will disagree with both.

If I was to say that the Univerity of Florida is the greatest basketball team, would it be an insult if someone else said, no it is North Carolina, or Wisconson, or UCLA, or Ohio State. Or someone would say forget that, you can't measure greatest by todays standards, clearly the greatest is Duke or kentucky or ucla based on lifetime acheivements.

I am certain Justin took no offense whatso ever, and if you want to know the truth, I suspect at some time, Lall and Grue will be on the same team and winning many world championships together (not necessarily as partners, but team mates).

And on top of that, I put a smiley face on my post, to show I the intent was to be humerous. To be honest, I think some of the current middle age guys who will be old guys in 20 years might still get the recognition as being the "best". Fred got the point with his "among the best"... as who really is number one will never be truely establishable.

Yes. I was being serious. I think your smiley face can't hide the way you brought it up.

You could have said "Yes. I agree. I think along with Joe Grue, Justin will be a top class player."

But moreover, what was the point of your post? Tell me what value it added to the conversation. What was constructive about saying "It's ok to be number 2"? You can backtrack all you want, but I thought your post was offensive. I'm glad that Justin didn't.
"Half the people you know are below average." - Steven Wright

#83 User is offline   jdonn 

• - - T98765432 AQT8
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-February-22, 22:27

fred, on Feb 22 2007, 01:28 PM, said:

But you might not realize that Justin is already in the same league as me as a player. By the time he is my age (another 20+ years) I think there is a good chance he will be widely recognized as the best player in the world (and not just because all the other great players are dead).

He is already the best poker player in the world. But I hear his chess needs a lot of work.
Please let me know about any questions or interest or bug reports about GIB.

#84 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-February-23, 00:03

jdonn, on Feb 22 2007, 10:27 PM, said:

fred, on Feb 22 2007, 01:28 PM, said:

But you might not realize that Justin is already in the same league as me as a player. By the time he is my age (another 20+ years) I think there is a good chance he will be widely recognized as the best player in the world (and not just because all the other great players are dead).

He is already the best poker player in the world. But I hear his chess needs a lot of work.

His talent for go is still to be discovered as well...
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#85 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-February-23, 05:56

fred, on Feb 22 2007, 07:07 PM, said:

I don't think anyone has ever been widely recognized as the best player in the world. Strange that there are no Michael Jordans in bridge...

I beleive this is because luck is more important in this game than what we are willing to recognise.

Also because it is a pair game, and althou we make personal records for team games to find best players, we don't make that things on pairs.

#86 User is offline   marcD 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2007-February-23, 06:34

Would assume responder gives choice between 4H and 5D (he shows 5H and 4+D). Not sure about acol but would assume 4S by opener shows an unbalanced hand, so that bid would not be a problem (if not i understand why i do not play acol :))

#87 User is offline   Halo 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-February-23, 07:26

As an Acol player I agree with Hannie's interpretation, good hand. 3 good spades, 4 good hearts, no diamond fit.

If I have slam interest with four spades, I will find a bid other than 4 hearts to progress.

#88 User is offline   000002 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-March-01, 09:03

it's cuebid

4 is too high if we take it as an natural bid,
illusrtate:
KQXX-----------AX
XX--------------AKXX
AKXX-----------QXXX
XXX-------------XXX

don't pass an new bid on the free-4level,and,if u have any question about how to rebid after t/o DBL, please overcall 3 directly after their 3 preemptive with 4cards good suiter.

it's cuebid without control
why do u take it natural?it's real esoteric to me.

regards 000002

#89 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2007-March-01, 12:33

I forgot about this post until someone just posted here again.

In any event, I asked my favorite regular partner what he thought 4 would show. His response was interesting in the way it was put.

He said that it showed hearts, for the purpose of a slam move, presumably with spade support but possibly with diamond support instead. In other words, his view was that a "cuebid" in a suit you are somewhat expected to have something in anyway is not an artificial bid, but "natural."

Thus, the "could it be natural" analysis can lead to the conclusion, logically, that it is "natural" in support of spades or diamonds, slammish, and a cuebid. Because, a cuebid that shows values is, in a sense, a "natural" bid.

The question, then, is not whether the call is "natural," but rather what the purpose of this call would be. If by 4 you mean "values here" and slammish in spades or diamonds, that is one natural meaning, as opposed to an offer to play, carrying natural meanings coupled with pattern inferences lighter than slammish.

He felt that the "pick a game" meaning was esoteric, and that, if anything, 4 would be the call for that hand (as I suspected in later analysis).

He also felt, and changed my view, that 4 would not strictly deny a club control, as Responder might be in the process of "bidding around his stiff." He felt that 4...4 would confirm a club control, such that 4 probably lacked a club control unless the actual fit was diamonds.

So, if Opener lacks a club control, he will presumably sign off at 4. If Responder next cuebids 5, this would confirm club shortness/control and interest in a diamond slam instead.

If Opener holds a club control, he presumably cuebids 5, and Responder now can name trumps and strength by bidding 5 or 6 or , as appropriate.

For whatever it is worth, it seems I also have the right partner. :rolleyes:
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#90 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-September-21, 09:28

View Postinquiry, on 2007-February-22, 15:14, said:

I am certain Justin took no offense whatso ever, and if you want to know the truth, I suspect at some time, Lall and Grue will be on the same team and winning many world championships together (not necessarily as partners, but team mates).

ONE TIME

#91 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-September-21, 09:42

It seems Justin has idle time on his hands. I hope he comes up with more very old posts which have turned Nostradamous.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#92 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-September-21, 10:19

View Postaguahombre, on 2011-September-21, 09:42, said:

It seems Justin has idle time on his hands. I hope he comes up with more very old posts which have turned Nostradamous.

lol, I actually found several but I just couldn't necro them all

#93 User is offline   phil_20686 

• Scotland
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-September-21, 10:34

View PostJLOGIC, on 2011-September-21, 10:19, said:

lol, I actually found several but I just couldn't necro them all today

Agree it would be a waste to necro more than one per day :). Will there be a new offering tomorrow?
The physics is theoretical, but the fun is real. - Sheldon Cooper

• 5 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users