BBO Discussion Forums: Are you new to the BBF novice/beginner forum? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +

Are you new to the BBF novice/beginner forum?

#21 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-February-06, 10:32

Hello dontzy and welcome to the BBO forums.

There are 2 pieces of software for playing BBO with on a PC. One is a downloadable client that you install on your computer. This is a legacy client and cannot be used by new accounts. The newer way uses a Flash client. To use this go to the BBO home page and click on "Click to Play or Watch Bridge". This should take you to the login window. For this version you do not need to download anything.
(-: Zel :-)

Happy New Year everyone!

#22 User is offline   inquiry 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2014-February-06, 10:41

View Postdontzy4, on 2014-February-06, 10:18, said:

I receive this message when I try to login :

Login Denied. Obsolete client. Please login via our web page at ...

Err = 788

My account it's new :rolleyes:

Welcome to bridge base online. Some time ago (a couple of years now I think) new members (or at least new aliases) were forced to log onto the Bridge Base Online gaming service through a FLASH client in their browser. As a new member you have to do so as well. You need adobe flash installed on your windows PC, and then either click the following link:

http://www.bridgebas...ient/client.php or go to the http://www.bridgebase.com website and click the play bridge now link that takes to the link I posted first (for security reasons, you should not trust links posted in public places like this, just go the bridgebase dot com website and click play bridge now link... But I know the links above are safe :) )....

The message you got (Err = 788) was from the windows program NetbridgeVu.exe which still allows old timers to log in, but BBO no longer supports netbridgevu and hasn't added new features to it in a long while, while the Flash client gets a lot of new bells and whistles. If you have any more problems, we can try to address them off line. Feel free to write me directly at inquiry At bridgebase dot com with any questions.
--Ben--

#23 User is offline   99_lvl 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2015-May-11, 03:58

Hi, everyone! :) I'm new as well :rolleyes:

#24 User is offline   99_lvl 

• PipPip

Posted 2015-May-11, 04:04

Hi, everyone! :) I'm new as well :rolleyes:

#25 User is offline   RD350LC 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2020-March-10, 19:00

View PostGrannyDCD, on 2013-September-29, 09:07, said:

I am new to bridge. A senior who is taking lessons. Are there good simple instructional books that will help me to understand the game better

There is an excellent book for beginners (and up) by Louis Watson titled "Watson's Play of the Hand at Bridge". This book is vintage (50 years old), but the material is mostly still relevant. It starts at the very basic concepts of card play, and continues up from there.

#26 User is offline   ADKWill 

• Pip

Posted 2020-March-17, 14:26

I am new to bridge. A senior who is taking lessons. Are there good simple instructional books that will help me to understand the game better

IMHO, You should start first with Audrey Grant' series of books. The first is totally introductory, the next is on the basics of Standard American Bidding. The next is on the play of the hand. She also has books on defense, on more advanced ideas like2-over-1 game forcing, ...

There are other good introductions but hers is pretty easy to find and very easy to understand.

#27 User is offline   ADKWill 

• Pip

Posted 2020-March-17, 14:26

IMHO, You should start first with Audrey Grant' series of books. The first is totally introductory, the next is on the basics of Standard American Bidding. The next is on the play of the hand. She also has books on defense, on more advanced ideas like2-over-1 game forcing, ...

There are other good introductions but hers is pretty easy to find and very easy to understand.

#28 User is offline   sac61 

• Pip

Posted 2021-March-27, 10:09

View Postinquiry, on 2004-January-05, 17:22, said:

If so, you may not realize that there are many pages of topics. Some of the old topics will be of interest to you perhaps. Click on the little number (1 to 12 so far) at the bottom of the page to call of other pages. There is an pick-box option to only list topics active in the last day, the last 5 days, 10 days, etc... all the way to the "beginning". To see all the topics, you have to click this to beginning. Note how the number of pages changes as you go from today (one page) to five days (roughly 2 pages), to the beginning (currently 12 pages).

There are interesting threads for exploring, including ones on carding, opening leads, lebehnshol, law of total tricks, and more than a dozen hands to play (suitable for beginners and novices).

Similar additional pages exist in most of the other forums.

Ben

#29 User is offline   xiao2016 

• PipPip

Posted 2021-July-18, 20:58

初来乍到 请多关注 谢谢。

#30 User is offline   ASC87 

• PipPip

Posted 2023-September-15, 01:37

View Postinquiry, on 2004-January-05, 17:22, said:

If so, you may not realize that there are many pages of topics. Some of the old topics will be of interest to you perhaps. Click on the little number (1 to 12 so far) at the bottom of the page to call of other pages. There is an pick-box option to only list topics active in the last day, the last 5 days, 10 days, etc... all the way to the "beginning". To see all the topics, you have to click this to beginning. Note how the number of pages changes as you go from today (one page) to five days (roughly 2 pages), to the beginning (currently 12 pages).

There are interesting threads for exploring, including ones on carding, opening leads, lebehnshol, law of total tricks, and more than a dozen hands to play (suitable for beginners and novices).

Similar additional pages exist in most of the other forums.

Ben

When I first joined the Bridge community, I felt intimidated and frustrated. The game seemed like it would take a lot of work, with too many numbers and memorization involved. I struggled to remember even my phone number and relied on counting my fingers for basic calculations. It felt like I was at a disadvantage, but something kept me going. I felt an immediate connection to the game, which became a metaphor for many other aspects of life.
https://aishachachar...e8b0ae7087d8b82

#31 User is offline   ASC87 

• PipPip

Posted 2023-September-15, 01:38

When I first joined the Bridge community, I felt intimidated and frustrated. The game seemed like it would take a lot of work, with too many numbers and memorization involved. I struggled to remember even my phone number and relied on counting my fingers for basic calculations. It felt like I was at a disadvantage, but something kept me going. I felt an immediate connection to the game, which became a metaphor for many other aspects of life.
https://aishachachar...e8b0ae7087d8b82

• 2 Pages +

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users