BBO Discussion Forums: COMPUTER virous is that a PROBLEM? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

COMPUTER virous is that a PROBLEM? PLS DONT MAKE ME LAUGH MR BILL GATE.

#21 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2007-October-01, 11:41

jtfanclub, on Oct 1 2007, 11:05 AM, said:

cherdano, on Oct 1 2007, 11:43 AM, said:

Certainly IBM Linux isn't 99.9% virus proof. First of all IBM Linux doesn't exist, and secondly no Linux is 99.9% virus proof.

17 years and counting, not a single virus on OS/400.

http://www-03.ibm.com/linux/

IBM Linux is a form of Red Hat Linux, designed for larger systems.

100% virus proof != no virus so far. Anyway, if you know what you are talking about then you should know that for a server OS it's not virus' that matter but possible remote exploits. Are you claiming OS/400 was never vulnerable to remote exploits?

The page you link to doesn't say the word "IBM Linux" anywhere. My understanding is that IBM never distributes Linux, instead they refer their customers to buy a license from the RedHat or Novell. I would actually be curious if that is wrong.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#22 User is offline   matmat 

• ded
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-October-01, 11:43

jtfanclub, on Oct 1 2007, 12:38 PM, said:

None taken. The point is, IBM doesn't make stuff that gets hit by viruses much, so why should we be singled out for paying for damage caused by viruses? Or Sun, or any of the other high end systems providers?

I can't believe some people still use Outlook, in spite of it being known to be unbelievably vulnerable to viruses. You get a virus using Outlook, you've got to take part of the blame, IMHO.

i guess i see your point, but what's the alternative?
apple mail? mozilla firefox? pine? elm? :)

#23 User is offline   Elianna 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-October-01, 12:08

matmat, on Oct 1 2007, 09:43 AM, said:

I can't believe some people still use Outlook, in spite of it being known to be unbelievably vulnerable to viruses.  You get a virus using Outlook, you've got to take part of the blame, IMHO.

I like pine. :) I've already been made fun of for being oldfashioned, though.

anyway, you left Eudora off your list, if that's still around.
My addiction to Mario Bros #3 has come back!

#24 User is offline   matmat 

• ded
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-October-01, 12:19

Elianna, on Oct 1 2007, 01:08 PM, said:

matmat, on Oct 1 2007, 09:43 AM, said:

I can't believe some people still use Outlook, in spite of it being known to be unbelievably vulnerable to viruses.  You get a virus using Outlook, you've got to take part of the blame, IMHO.

I like pine. :) I've already been made fun of for being oldfashioned, though.

anyway, you left Eudora off your list, if that's still around.

eudora.
how quaint.

i do like pine

#25 User is offline   Al_U_Card 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-October-01, 14:04

All hail Shubi!!! King of the hijacked thread.
The Grand Design, reflected in the face of Chaos...it's a fluke!

#26 User is offline   matmat 

• ded
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-October-01, 14:10

Al_U_Card, on Oct 1 2007, 03:04 PM, said:

this coming form the ssenkrad fo ecnirp

#27 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-October-01, 14:14

Al_U_Card, on Oct 1 2007, 02:04 PM, said:

Yeah I sincerely apologize for getting off-topic and disrupting the discussion about such an ingenious proposal to stop the computer virous PROBLEM.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#28 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-October-01, 14:20

shubi, on Sep 30 2007, 09:58 PM, said:

just like to point out no good thing comes free and quick. i realized its going to costs us bundle but thats life. for me i say goverments pays 1/3, user pays 1/3 and microsoft and ibm pays 1/2 rest computer industry pays 0.1.

127% funding. Sounds like an EU project. Or a Dutch mortgage, Apparently it works similarly in the US.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#29 Guest_Jlall_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 2007-October-01, 14:30

shubi is the best

#30 User is offline   jdonn 

• - - T98765432 AQT8
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-October-01, 14:37

helene_t, on Oct 1 2007, 03:20 PM, said:

shubi, on Sep 30 2007, 09:58 PM, said:

just like to point out no good thing comes free and quick. i realized its going to costs us bundle but thats life. for me i say goverments pays 1/3, user pays 1/3 and microsoft and ibm pays 1/2 rest computer industry pays 0.1.

127% funding. Sounds like an EU project. Or a Dutch mortgage, Apparently it works similarly in the US.

Everyone is being so HARD on shubi. it's 1/3 + 1/3 + 1/2 OF THE REST + .1, so that comes to over 93%. That is a lot closer than 127%.
Please let me know about any questions or interest or bug reports about GIB.

#31 User is offline   keylime 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: FD TEAM
  • Interests:Motorsports, cricket, disc golf, and of course - bridge. :-)

Posted 2007-October-01, 15:28

If Ubuntu has as part of its repositories antivirus solutions, that says something.

Some of my peers (I'm an I/T professional by training) are pissing and moaning that there's too many crappy sites out there sucking up the bandwidth and causing the malware epidemic. Pussies. Don't they know that the reason for all the nonsense is because of President Bush? (inside joke)

This is clearly an example of a little knowledge being dangerous. If people were so ethical, you'd think people would instead of writing scripts and code sending out bots to control machines, they'd instead be playing tiddlywinks and hopscotch? Just ask the country of Estonia and you'll appreciate firsthand how ticked off a crackpot can get over the movement of an old statue.

I personally like Evolution and am using it to access my Gmail and work mail. Nice. I do as well like Pine; Eudora makes me want to vomit.

With that said, I'm going to lay claim that OS/2 Warp was the greatest O/S ever, followed closely by the Tandy Color Computer with sexy cassette data loading and the interfaces to make my Sylvannia TV hum with joy as I played boxy Pole Position.
"Champions aren't made in gyms, champions are made from something they have deep inside them - a desire, a dream, a vision. They have to have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have to have the skill and the will. But the will must be stronger than the skill. " - M. Ali

#32 User is offline   Al_U_Card 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-October-01, 15:35

matmat, on Oct 1 2007, 03:10 PM, said:

Al_U_Card, on Oct 1 2007, 03:04 PM, said:

All hail Shubi!!!  King of the hijacked thread.

this coming form the ssenkrad fo ecnirp

Being able to talk and reason backwards is a help on these threads.

Phil Collins wrote a song about it, I believe.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=y2PedM-a2V8

with Dubya's heavy and not invisible touch.....
The Grand Design, reflected in the face of Chaos...it's a fluke!

#33 User is offline   jtfanclub 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-October-02, 09:22

cherdano, on Oct 1 2007, 12:41 PM, said:

100% virus proof != no virus so far. Anyway, if you know what you are talking about then you should know that for a server OS it's not virus' that matter but possible remote exploits. Are you claiming OS/400 was never vulnerable to remote exploits?

Interesting. Looks like our PCs use Red Hat, which we add extra 'features'. I'll have to look into it more. Apparently, I was wrong on that one.

The current versions of OS/400, when properly administered, are very well secured against remote exploits- not completely immune from poor administration, of course, but good enough for top secret gubmint stuff. I worked in the security section for that for a while, so I feel confident about that one.

#34 User is offline   Gerardo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2007-October-02, 14:40

keylime, on Oct 1 2007, 06:28 PM, said:

If Ubuntu has as part of its repositories antivirus solutions, that says something.

Except that the primary (almost sole) reason for them is to be run my mail servers, before serving the processed mail to (probably Windows) clients.

A roughly equivalent for Unix would be a rootkit.

#35 User is offline   shubi 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2007-November-26, 23:52

Well your email sure helped me find the post.
thx

#36 User is offline   shubi 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2007-November-27, 01:00

On my last account, Microsoft is counting expenses. But the virous check at senders end is very easy and inexpensive. It dont need and hardware modifications or replacement, neither any lengthy software developments. All we have to do contact all computer security check companies, pay them reasonable amounts, and my 15% gross. The said companies can implement them with 4 IF statement, I am sure they know, update or install security package for their respective clients.
shubi, Canada, root, India.

#37 User is offline   pokerbids 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2007-November-27, 06:05

What is wrong if microsoft or anyone is counting expenses. I mean my wife counts expenses and seems cool to me. She runs it past me I skim 15% for ciggies, liquor and all that. She is happy so am I....so whats the moral of the story ...we shouldnt count expenses..shouldnt charge 15% or next time she grumbles can I send her a 4 if statement. Am I the only one who thinks that I need admission to the nuthouse after reading that or am I missing something between the lines

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users