• You cannot reply to this topic

Curious about Super-Accepts

#1 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2007-October-05, 14:27

You open 2NT. Partner transfers. How do you play, or think at least?

1. Does a super-accept require 4+ support for the major?
2. If so, what is a new suit after 2NT-transfer-puppet-3NT?
3. If not, what is a new suit after 2NT-transfer-puppet-3NT?

This came up in a discussion of a specific hand. Opener holds Kxx AJx AKxxx Ax and opens 2NT (I agree). Partner transfers to hearts. I personally would super-accept the transfer with Kxx AQx AKxxx Ax; curious of others' thoughts.

Anyway, Opener bids 3. Responder bids 3NT. For me, this is good enough to super-accept becaause my failure to super-accept the transfer immediately means that I'm a tad lighter; curious of others' thoughts here, as well.
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#2 User is offline   ArtK78 

• Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2007-October-05, 14:42

After years of toying around with super-accepts on only 3 card support, I did away with them. Now, I only super-accept with 4 cards in partner's suit (assuming the hand is otherwise suitable for a super-acceptance).

#3 User is offline   BillHiggin 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2007-October-05, 14:43

My opinion (fair market value is less than 2 cents) is to make 3 card super accepts (cheapest Nt bid) based more on control structure than strict min/max considerations. I would agree with a super accept on either example. I probably will not be able to make assumptions about my partner's failure to super accept until I can increase the value of my opinions to around a nickel or so.
You must know the rules well - so that you may break them wisely!

#4 User is online   awm 

Posted 2007-October-05, 14:51

I would routinely transfer over 2NT on a zero-count with a five-card major. Super-accepting always gets us to game. I'd like to have the fourth trump for this.

After partner's 3NT call, bidding a new suit shows a hand with three trumps but good controls (cuebid).
Adam W. Meyerson
a.k.a. Appeal Without Merit

#5 User is offline   cherdano 

Posted 2007-October-05, 15:54

Han and me play 3N as a 3-card superaccept. This is done with hands that would cooperate with/accept a slam try in the major.
It clarifies auction such as 2N 3H 3S 4D 4H, which is now cooperating with a diamond slam try.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#6 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2007-October-05, 17:29

cherdano, on Oct 5 2007, 04:54 PM, said:

Han and me play 3N as a 3-card superaccept. This is done with hands that would cooperate with/accept a slam try in the major.
It clarifies auction such as 2N 3H 3S 4D 4H, which is now cooperating with a diamond slam try.

So, playing that, what would a new minor show (2N 3D 3H 3N 4m)? What would your thoughts be with Kxx-AJx-AKxxx-Ax or Kxx-AQx-AKxxx-Ax?
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#7 User is offline   cherdano 

Posted 2007-October-05, 17:31

kenrexford, on Oct 5 2007, 05:29 PM, said:

cherdano, on Oct 5 2007, 04:54 PM, said:

So, playing that, what would a new minor show (2N 3D 3H 3N 4m)? What would your thoughts be with Kxx-AJx-AKxxx-Ax or Kxx-AQx-AKxxx-Ax?

I would superaccept with either IF playing 3-card superaccepts. And 2N 3D 3H 3N 4m would not exist.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#8 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2007-October-06, 08:20

I stick to 4-card support for a super-accept. This makes slam bidding easier, and I haven't yet had a hand where failure to super-accept with 3 trumps has led to a missed game (yes, I know we can invent ones).

I don't superaccept on all 4-card supports, either. You say 'do I want to be in game opposite a hand that was going to pass the transfer' before deciding whether to do so.

That said, I play 2NT - (3D/H) - 3NT as showing 5-2 in the majors [which breaks the above rule] as I don't have a method for responder to show 3-5/5-3.

And consequently 2NT - transfer-complete-3NT - 4 new suit= a 'superaccept' with 3 trumps. The bid is a trial bid, not a cue bid (so AKx Kxx AQ10xx Ax bids 4D not 4C).

By the way, I would not have opened your sample hand 2NT, but I play a 2NT opening as 20-22 and you can't afford to upgrade many hands.

#9 User is offline   TheoKole 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge, Strategy Games, Reading, Weightlifting, Skiing, Singing

Posted 2007-October-07, 14:00

I ALLWAYS have 4+ trumps for a super-accept of a transfer bid (after a 1NT or 2NT opener), and my regular partners have learned to rely on this. Also, there have been many hands which I have had which would have passed after a transfer but change after a super-acceptance.

The 9 card fit increases the value of the combined hands by at least an Ace.

There are few bridge "rules" that I have not occasionally broken but this one and never passing a forcing bid by partner are 2 of them.

I have learned to appreciate the value of the extra trump. It has kept me undoubled when the opps have a trump stack in an unmakable contract, and it usually gives extra options for declaring the hand.

Love those extra trumps, ;)

Theo

#10 User is offline   han 

• Under bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-October-07, 15:29

Arend and I just decided to allow 4m with a very unusual holding, something like Ax KQxx Kx AKJxx would bid 2NT-3D-4C (that one is perhaps a bit extreme.

But generally we bid the cheapest suit with 4-card support.

I like the 3-card superaccept. For one thing responder is better able to pass 3M with a really poor hand. On the other hand it simplifies auctions like

2NT - 3H
3S - 4C
??

Here 4D and 4H are both cuebids for clubs as opener can't have a great hand for spades.
Please note: I am interested in boring, bog standard, 2/1.

- hrothgar

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users