Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

A real world class blind spot From US vs Netherlands

#1 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2007-October-06, 08:06

Both declarers went off. Let me give you the play in the room where the Dutch were declaring.

Scoring: IMP

3 P 4 5
P P x all pass

This was the auction in both rooms. EW were not vulnerable, I can't remember if NS were or not.

West leads the ace of spades.
Plan the play.

(Looking at the full results, this problem was faced at 9 tables and 8 declarers went off. But sitting in a relaxed mood in front the computer the winning line is definitely the correct one.)

#2 User is offline   bid_em_up 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-October-06, 09:54

Note that at least 4 times, declarer received the opening lead of the 2 of spades, and still got it wrong.

N/S were vul, E/W were not.

Going off 1 in 5H x'd shouldn't be that bad, since E/W make 5/6 spades, but only 6 pairs bid over 5H.

I think its a lot tougher to spot the winning play if you are sitting at the table than it is looking at all 4 hands on vugraph. I don't agree that it is the correct one though, at least not on the spade A lead. It certainly should be apparent after the lead of the 2 though.
Is the word "pass" not in your vocabulary?
So many experts, not enough X cards.

#3 Guest_Jlall_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 2007-October-06, 11:49

Easy on paper to play a diamond at trick 2. I think I would find this at the table but who knows.

#4 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-October-06, 13:52

Stupid question: I can speculate on a number of reasons for playing a diamond. I suppose the clue is that you need to break EW's communication?
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#5 User is offline   ArcLight 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Rowing. Wargaming. Military history.

Posted 2007-October-06, 14:38

My line:

Spoiler

#6 User is offline   Cascade 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows
  • Interests:Juggling, Unicycling

Posted 2007-October-06, 15:08

Jlall, on Oct 7 2007, 05:49 AM, said:

Easy on paper to play a diamond at trick 2. I think I would find this at the table but who knows.

Why not play a diamond at trick one?
Wayne Burrows

I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon

#7 Guest_Jlall_*

Posted 2007-October-06, 15:20

Cascade, on Oct 6 2007, 04:08 PM, said:

Jlall, on Oct 7 2007, 05:49 AM, said:

Why not play a diamond at trick one?

no reason really, is there any difference?

#8 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue

Posted 2007-October-06, 18:51

you keep East off lead if clubs are 0-5

#9 User is offline   ArcLight 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-October-06, 22:42

Fluffy, on Oct 6 2007, 07:51 PM, said:

And how are you making if thats the case?

You can't get to dummy to take a trump finesse. So you must lay down the ace and hope the stiff King drops with LHO? Why is RHO making a penalty double with xx in trumps, and an outside AK in Dimes?

If Clubs are 5-0 I think you are losing:
1 dime
1 club
1 trump - unless the K is stiff, and taht doenst follow from the bidding

#10 User is offline   jdonn 

• - - T98765432 AQT8

Posted 2007-October-06, 22:52

ArcLight, on Oct 6 2007, 11:42 PM, said:

Fluffy, on Oct 6 2007, 07:51 PM, said:

And how are you making if thats the case?

You can't get to dummy to take a trump finesse. So you must lay down the ace and hope the stiff King drops with LHO? Why is RHO making a penalty double with xx in trumps, and an outside AK in Dimes?

If Clubs are 5-0 I think you are losing:
1 dime
1 club
1 trump - unless the K is stiff, and taht doenst follow from the bidding

There is not a very strong inference about the hearts IMO. East can just be doubling with any good hand.
Please let me know about any questions or interest or bug reports about GIB.

#11 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2007-October-07, 09:45

helene_t, on Oct 6 2007, 08:52 PM, said:

Stupid question: I can speculate on a number of reasons for playing a diamond. I suppose the clue is that you need to break EW's communication?

Yes.

At lots of tables the play was spade lead ruffed, club towards dummy ruffed, diamond over, club ruffed one off.

In order to prevent this, you either play a diamond at trick 2 or discard your diamond at trick 1 (I much prefer this line, it would cause a lot more amusement at the table, especially if you pretend to look surprised when it's not a heart...)

Now you win the next trick - whatever it is - an play a club towards dummy. If it is ruffed, you will need the remaining hearts 1-1. (If it is ruffed on your right, you'll be off).

I think its a lot tougher to spot the winning play if you are sitting at the table than it is looking at all 4 hands on vugraph. I don't agree that it is the correct one though

It's certainly easier to spot when you are presented it as a problem, because you remember to stop and think 'what can go wrong'

But it's definitely the right line. One you decide that the right conceptual line is to take the heart finesse and hope clubs play for 1 loser i.e. use the CA as an entry to take the finesse, it is zero cost to make this play. There is no layout on which it costs, compared to ruffing and playing a club at once, and this is layout on which it gains. Therefore it must be right.

[You can argue that an alternative line is to lay down the HA at trick two playing for singleton HK or a favourable club lie, but I'm pretty certain that is a worse line]

What is interesting is not just how many people went off - and as is mentioned, about half got the two of spades lead which should raise alarm bells - but that the people who went off included Rodwell, who is
i) arguably one of the world's best declarer players
ii) at the end of a vital RR match in which so far they'd had a very good card

The only pair to make 5Hx on a spade lead were one of the australians, thoughI don't know if they found the safety play or did something different.

#12 User is offline   ArcLight 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-October-07, 10:57

>Now you win the next trick - whatever it is - an play a club towards dummy. If it is ruffed, you will need the remaining hearts 1-1. (If it is ruffed on your right, you'll be off).

Frances,
Wont you be down if the club is ruffed?
You have a spade/dime loser for 1 trick, a cluff ruff for anotehr lost trick.

You can't make your remaining clubs, you will lose one more.

It looks like the only way to play this (double dummy) is Lay down the ace of hearts, then a heart to the 10, and then finesse a club against east.

#13 Guest_Jlall_*

Posted 2007-October-07, 10:59

Arclight, you will be able to squeeze them in the minors.

#14 User is offline   Winstonm 

• Interests:Art, music

Posted 2007-October-07, 11:46

Jlall, on Oct 7 2007, 11:59 AM, said:

Arclight, you will be able to squeeze them in the minors.

Who would have thought the key cards would be the Jxx of diamonds in the north hand? :)
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#15 User is offline   bid_em_up 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-October-07, 12:26

FrancesHinden, on Oct 7 2007, 10:45 AM, said:

I think its a lot tougher to spot the winning play if you are sitting at the table than it is looking at all 4 hands on vugraph. I don't agree that it is the correct one though

It's certainly easier to spot when you are presented it as a problem, because you remember to stop and think 'what can go wrong'

But it's definitely the right line. One you decide that the right conceptual line is to take the heart finesse and hope clubs play for 1 loser i.e. use the CA as an entry to take the finesse, it is zero cost to make this play. There is no layout on which it costs, compared to ruffing and playing a club at once, and this is layout on which it gains. Therefore it must be right.

[You can argue that an alternative line is to lay down the HA at trick two playing for singleton HK or a favourable club lie, but I'm pretty certain that is a worse line]

What is interesting is not just how many people went off - and as is mentioned, about half got the two of spades lead which should raise alarm bells - but that the people who went off included Rodwell, who is
i) arguably one of the world's best declarer players
ii) at the end of a vital RR match in which so far they'd had a very good card

I won't argue anything other than I think its unlikely that LHO is going for a club ruff holding Kx of hearts (I suppose he could be expecting partner to win the spade, club ruff, win a diamond, club ruff, I just think its unlikely). He is not going for a club ruff when also holding a stiff heart. If that was the case, then he started with 1 heart and no clubs and wd be 6-6 or 7-5 in spades and diamonds, then he is likely to hold at least 1 diamond honor so the squeeze would fail (I know he did not, but he certainly is likely to have one).

So my thinking is, once LHO has screamed for a club ruff by leading the spade two, he must hold either Kxx of hearts or xx of hearts. In the 1st case, it doesn't matter what you do (you will always be down), and in the second case, laying down the Ace is the sure winning play. Also in the first case, RHO holding a heart void would have likely have bid 5S over 5H.

So to me (at least) all the clues are there to point to laying down the heart A. Even if it is not considered to be the "right" technical line. Had LHO at Rodwell's table led the Ace of spades, then I would agree with your line, but not after the club void has been so blatantly advertised.
Is the word "pass" not in your vocabulary?
So many experts, not enough X cards.

#16 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2007-October-08, 06:23

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users