• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Substitute

#1 User is offline   square 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2004-April-26, 04:35

Hi

I have seen requests for substitutes and considered registering but have 2 concerns:

1. I am primarily an acol player but am learning sayc. What happens when a sub is needed for someone who is playing a system I know nothing about ?

2. What am I allowed to do while a substitute ? If I kibitz I am likely to have seen the hands. If I play in the main bridge room I could be in the middle of a hand when a sub is required.

Chris

#2 User is offline   uday 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2004-April-26, 06:24

Typically, when a sub is needed, someone who has registered but is "busy" is not bothered ( the system knows not to ask him to sub if he is playing, for instance).

About systems: when you sit down as a sub, you wont have time for much more than a quick "SAYC? " before you open 1H, Acol, and he jumps to 4 because you can't have more than 16 HCP

#3 User is offline   Mirjam_3 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2004-April-26, 08:00

most subs just wait in lobby, since they can be called every minute.
if you register as sub and next go to play in main, i think you are not a REAL sub, hehe!
some subs register if they see red seats and some register if there is a call in lobby.

i also see some very favorite subs who just hang and wait untill they are needed... those are the DIE HARDS and they want to be in or they want to be helpful, if possible.

we love to sub those in!
Glamourous Blond

#4 User is offline   Mirjam_3 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-April-26, 08:04

B) hehe u see iam novice now!!!!!
Glamourous Blond

#5 User is offline   Mirjam_3 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-April-26, 08:06

B) even here i never will be an expert... i wroooooote soooooo many yet.. (;
Glamourous Blond

#6 User is offline   cellist 

• PipPip

Posted 2004-May-15, 09:32

uday, on Apr 26 2004, 03:24 PM, said:

About systems: when you sit down as a sub, you wont have time for much more than a quick "SAYC? " before you open 1H, Acol, and he jumps to 4 because you can't have more than 16 HCP

I don't think that really address the original poster's issue. I play only sayc (and 2/1 very poorly). Should I avoid signing on as a sub because I will likely run into players who expect me to play 2/1, precision, or acol when I am substituted-in?
Music is Life
The Rest is just Details

#7 User is offline   mr1303 

• Admirer of Walter the Walrus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, surfing, water skiing, cricket, golf. Generally being outside really.

Posted 2004-May-15, 10:41

I'm more than happy for anyone who wants to substitute into one of my tournaments to be a sub, no matter what skill level of bridge he/she may have.

I also expect that if my partner is subbed out, my new partner isn't going to have the same agreements regarding system, and mostly I'll have to change from whatever the original system was (Acol, 2/1, Precision etc) to basic SAYC.

Having said that, I probably wouldn't feel comfortable being a sub without a basic knowledge of SAYC, because that is the most popular system on BBO

#8 User is offline   guggie 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-May-26, 07:57

I like to sub, because sometimes I want to play for one hour and than it is ideal to come in halfway. And, and if gives you the opportunity to squander and as you meet all kind of people (Happily I give out much more hearts than clubs)
To make life more easy for subs I have to requests:
1. when calling for subs, state how many boards rest
2. If a specific call for a sub is made, please let the small grey window pop up in front of anything else you are doing on your pc, either it is something silly as freecelling. or worjking on a scientific paper in word. Of course i NEVER EVER freecell ;)

Maria

#9 User is offline   Frosty 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-May-28, 07:06

LOL Maria - I NEVER EVER free-cell either and Cellist, you are right about all the rest just being details! :-)

Take it from me - if you want to sub - DO IT!!! The best place to sub if you are nervous about your skills is an Individual tournament because everyone there is getting a different (often unknown) partner every round. Players in this format EXPECT to have to adjust to one another's bidding systems.

Also - everyone who enters a pairs tourney knows that there is always the possibility of losing a partner and gaining a sub. Its like life - there will be some who will be gracious to a sub ALL THE TIME and there are some who will be rude to a sub ALL THE TIME. Let the Director know if there is a problem and don't assume that a rude partner has a good reason to be rude. There is no such thing.

Its a good idea to be familiar with BBO Basic or SAYC, but all of us have been learning at some point.

JUST DO IT :blink:

Frosty :P (also a musician)

#10 User is offline   jessbb 

• Pip

Posted 2005-January-12, 18:23

I would like a reaction from tournament directors to see if they think this is a pronblem or whether the present situation is satisfactory.
I see that many tournaments have li :blink: mits as to country, language, or other limitations. I can see that this is desireable, and should be continued. However, I see many times that in the later rounds this tournament calls for subs, and needs subs in order to finish the tournament. However, when you go to sub in the tournament you see that it is not open to the public. there is also no way to tell the tournament director that you want to be a sub becuase you cannot chat to a person in a tournament.
thus you have a situation where the TD is calling repeatedly for subs in a tournament that is closed to most subs.
I bring this up to see if it is a good idea to lift the restrictions in later rounds so that you can let people who might not qualify originally sub in order to help you out and finish the round or the tournament on time.
I don't have a particular feeling one way or the other. I wonder if it is preferable to keep your original restrictions in later rounds, or is it preferable to make it easy for people to sub so you can complete your tounrnament without having to give out a lot of averages.
I think that if your tournemane is restricted as to subs, you should state this when you advertise for subs.

#11 User is offline   Gerardo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2005-January-13, 09:14

TDs are able to lift (or change) limits before or while the tourney is running.
You can't talk with players of a tourney, but TDs can receive your messages (UNLESS TD is playing).

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users