Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Awkward Slam.

#1 User is offline   WesleyC 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2009-October-30, 17:55

MPs, vs the strongest opponents (in a weak field).

After an unrevealing auction you reach 6S by South.

North
AKT5
QJ874
KT
AT

South
Q8762
A87
KQ63

The lead is J (underleading). Opponents signally is notionally reverse but they're known to be tricky.

What's your plan?

(Hint below)

Spoiler

#2 User is offline   Hanoi5 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, Video Games, Languages, Travelling.

Posted 2009-October-30, 18:15

I'm gonna try to ruff a small card in each minor suit before taking out trumps if they are 3-1.

View Postwyman, on 2012-May-04, 09:48, said:

Also, he rates to not have a heart void when he leads the 3.

View Postrbforster, on 2012-May-20, 21:04, said:

Besides playing for fun, most people also like to play bridge to win

My YouTube Channel

#3 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2009-October-30, 19:22

A, K can't claim I guess, ruff a heart, still can't claim so ruff a then ruff a club.

#4 User is offline   dellache 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Children, family, job. Then a few minutes remain to play Bridge.<br>

Posted 2009-October-31, 05:05

It would really be nice to also have the "unrevealing" bidding sequence (or did it really went like 1S BW ... 6S ?).

I would start as you did in your hint, so let's assume x taken by East's Ace, and a diamond Back. If East (or West) would show you her hand, you could claim more than 99% of the time. Let's see how close we can come playing only single dummy.

Now depending on the really unrevealing sequence, West is a slightly favorite to have the King, but I don't see how we can benefit from that. It just complicates the matter or assessing the chances of the different lines.

I see 2 main lines with many variants each :
- main line 1 : cash spades trying to avoid any overruff, then ruff a diamond, and try to produce the 12th trick from Hearts or clubs (Spades 2-2 : happy declarer) ;
- main line 2 : don't cash spades, try to combine the fall of Hx in Hearts, a diamond ruff, a club ruff with the ten.

In the main line 2, you can study different transpositions of plays (start with ruff, OR start with Ruff w/ the Ten, OR try to establish a quick Trick, OR start with a Club ruff with the Ten then cash K... Oh geeeeee).

Main line 1 is the more easy to study, and the best solution I found was to cash the second spade (claim if 22, otherwise...) ruff a Heart (if 2nd honor falls claim, otherwise...) cash Q, ruff , ruff Heart (if 2nd honor falls claim), otherwise hope than someone has been squeezed in the rounded suits. This line is about 82% taking into account that East plays the Ace even with A10x, in fear you could have the stiff King (it's really difficult to infer statistics from the Heart play at trick 2, the only thing being for sure being East has not AK10+). There is a very slight bonus in this line if East falsecarded his count in the Diamond suit : if West is 4-4 in the minors, he will have to guess whether I'm xx34 or xx43, and I suspect he will miss it most of the time (a 2% bonus :rolleyes:).

In the main line 2, most of the lines seem to fall between strictly below 80%, except the following successions of plays which lead to 80% : Cash AK, ruff with the Ten, then ruff a Heart (claim if 2nd honor falls otherwise...) ruff a Diamond, cash K, ruff a Heart.

All the lines are actually very close, and very difficult to separate at the table. The 82% of line 1 is only in theory : how likely is East to play the Ace with Axxx allowing you to ruff out his pard King ? And what if He thinks I can ruff my minor suits without any problems anyway ?...

Anyway, I still would have played line 1, because :
1. I don't expect West to lead from a short QJx+ sequence on this bidding ( :rolleyes: ). When West Diamonds become longer, line 1 becomes stronger.
2. You can study Line 1 in a very short amount of time, and realize it's a very good one. Going through all the variants of line 2 would be embarassing ;
3. Rightly or wrongly, I always prefer to go down at trick 13 <_<.

I guess others will find more to this intricated deal.

Cheers,
FD

#5 User is offline   Jlall 

• Follower of 655321
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:drinking, women, bridge...what else?

Posted 2009-October-31, 05:15

I win the diamond lead in hand and lead a heart up.

Also I will make these general assumptions:

-If LHO drops the SJ under the ace it is stiff J.
-LHO cannot have both heart honors on the lead. Therefore if he pops with a heart honor I will take a ruffing hook if necessary.

Excluding 4-0 spades, I will be cold on 2-2 spades, or stiff jack of spades on left, or 4-3 hearts, or Hx of hearts on left, or H fifth of hearts on left with 4+ clubs (unlikely).

Pretty much I will lose to AKxxx of hearts on right, or Hxxxx of hearts on left (without 4 clubs) when spades are 3-1 without stiff J on left.

#6 User is offline   WesleyC 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-October-31, 23:54

Thanks for the replies. Sorry I didn't post the full auction - it was:

(P) 1H (P) 1S
(P) 2NT* (P) 3C*
(P) 3S* (P) 4NT
(P) 5C* (p) 6S
AP

Where North showed 5H, 4S, 18-19 HCP balanced or semi-balanced with 0/3 keycards.

When the deal was played I continued by trying to ruff the 3rd diamond and got over-ruffed. Looking at the again now, my line was definitely inferior to the lines Fluffy, Dellache and Jlall suggest.

Spades were 2/2 and the Kh was with doubleton with West so just about any other line would have worked.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users