BBO Discussion Forums: Is anybody confused besides me? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +

Is anybody confused besides me? What constitutes a beginner?

#21 User is offline   sceptic 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2004-July-07, 23:49

I read quite a lot here and sometimes stuff does not make sense to me straight away, but I still read it as I think the only way to learn is try new things, it does sink in after a while :D, I would hate to see us beginners and intermediates answering our own questions all the time, I think we would all start going backwards if we did.

discussion is great but the guidance all the experts post here for us s invaluable.. keep posting experts it is appreciated

#22 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2013-March-28, 09:30

Sorry for raising this old topic again but it is an interesting one. I guess it depends how you define a beginner... I'm definitely a beginner in terms of the rest of the forum but then again I got all the questions right apart from the last one which I didn't think enough about :lol:

so am I a true beginner? no, I know most basic conventions, play in a low level club etc etc. However, are most of my questions/queries suited to the novice/beginner section due to the level the other forums are at? yes.

That's how I see it :)

Eagles123
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#23 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-March-28, 11:27

View Postpaulhar, on 2004-July-07, 06:06, said:

By the way, I haven't seen mention of that website whcih implies that I wouldn't have if I were a beginner either. How does the website find the beginners (or vice versa?)

I think that this website should be very visibly mentioned in these forums. I also wonder if the beginner and intermediate forums should be split up.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#24 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-March-28, 11:31

View PostVampyr, on 2013-March-28, 11:27, said:

I think that this website should be very visibly mentioned in these forums. I also wonder if the beginner and intermediate forums should be split up.

Good idea. I'll use my influence to get this sorted out. I suggest a sub-forum called something snappy such as Novice and Beginner Forum and another for Intermediate and Advanced.

#25 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-March-28, 11:32

OK. It's sorted now. B-)

#26 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2013-March-28, 11:40

View PostPhilKing, on 2013-March-28, 11:32, said:

OK. It's sorted now. B-)

LOL yes my head was still living in the old days.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#27 User is offline   kgr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-March-28, 11:40

View PostPhilKing, on 2013-March-28, 11:32, said:

OK. It's sorted now. B-)

Can you also use your influence to get a separate forum for play/defend posts? (these doesn't read good on my smart phone, they are also better suited when I have more time then one cigarette).

#28 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2013-March-28, 11:52

View Postkgr, on 2013-March-28, 11:40, said:

Can you also use your influence to get a separate forum for play/defend posts? (these doesn't read good on my smart phone, they are also better suited when I have more time then one cigarette).

I would like a nonsmoking forum, please.

#29 User is offline   wyman 

• Redoubling with gusto
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Math, Bridge, Beer. Often at the same time.

Posted 2013-March-28, 11:57

View PostArtK78, on 2013-March-28, 11:52, said:

I would like a nonsmoking forum, please.

That forum would play too slow.
"I think maybe so and so was caught cheating but maybe I don't have the names right". Sure, and I think maybe your mother .... Oh yeah, that was someone else maybe. -- kenberg

"...we live off being battle-scarred veterans who manage to hate our opponents slightly more than we hate each other.” -- Hamman, re: Wolff

#30 User is offline   dustinst22 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Spades, Bridge, good food/wine, MMA, classical music, cycling

Posted 2013-March-28, 16:13

View Postinquiry, on 2004-July-02, 20:21, said:

You are confused for two reasons.

First, this forum, "Beginner and Intermediate Bridge Discussion" is for Beginners and [B]Intermediates". Please bear that in mind. As such a forum, some material will be for intermediates.

Second, let me take your "beginner's guide to scrambling 2NT" as an example. A late beginner/early intermediate player asked specifically for an explaination of scrambling 2NT. What should people do, ignore the request? Tell them to go away until they bid and play better? While the rules of this site tries to direct the corrrect content level for the correct discussion group, it doesn't seem right to refuse to answer a question becasue it was posted in the beginner/intermediate forum.

Same for the "theoretical advantages to RKCB 1430 over 0314" (which wasn't my question or answer). But if an intermeidate ask such question, what should people with opinions do, ignore it?

Smith Echo and Obvious Shift was added to a long, multiple post thread in response to a beginners question about giving signals. If you actually read the thread, you will see that a recommnend signal choices for "beginners" was given that was standard signals in US and udca in europe or if you play on line most of the time.

Ben

Sorry, ignore my post -- just realized this was from 2004 lol

#31 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2013-April-02, 06:14

View Posteagles123, on 2013-March-28, 09:30, said:

I guess it depends how you define a beginner.

BBO defines a beginner as someone who has played for more than 6 months but less than 1 year.
(-: Zel :-)

• 2 Pages +

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users