• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Voice commentary issues

#1 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-October-04, 09:26

When voice commentary of Vugraph matches first began, I could go into the Client and enjoy ---either watching and listening all on Client, or watching the download version and listening to the other. All was good, except when a specific commentator had issues with his own equipment.

However, something has changed. Starting with the most recent NABC K.O. and continuing thru the latest World Championships, all I seem to get is Stoccato noise.

Nothing has changed with the computer I am using, and I don't know if I need to specify what I have, but would appreciate some suggestions of things I can try so I can hear the words again.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#2 User is offline   Rain 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-October-05, 08:23

Can you try updating your flash to the latest? See if that helps.

I assume you can hear sounds using other programs right?

Thanks
"More and more these days I find myself pondering how to reconcile my net income with my gross habits."

John Nelson.

#3 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2012-October-05, 08:32

View PostRain, on 2012-October-05, 08:23, said:

Can you try updating your flash to the latest? See if that helps.

I assume you can hear sounds using other programs right?

Thanks

Yes. And, I just tried clearing my IE cache. I have a test coming up tonight with Inquiry to see if it works. I thought I had updated Flash whenever they pop up with an update, but maybe there is another, now. I can hear the sounds on "voice" vugraph, too. They just are not recognizable as words :rolleyes:

#4 User is offline   Ethel 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2012-October-06, 06:59

I am still having problems with the voice on the Web site as well. Lots of SOUND - just unable to decipher what is being said. I am not computer smart. My flash IS the latest. My cache empties automatically. (This information from the computer guy who came to see if he could figure out the problem. The sound works with all other sound programs. Also, when the voice FIRST started it worked fine on my computer.

#5 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2012-October-07, 16:34

Where are you located, how good is your Internet connection in general?

#6 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2012-October-07, 17:08

View Postbarmar, on 2012-October-07, 16:34, said:

Where are you located, how good is your Internet connection in general?

Broadband Cable in scenic southern Utah. Other voice stuff, such as videos, are just fine.

This is strictly a change of something related to the output from the Client and something which is different on that end which I might be able to fix by doing something different on this end. That answer gives you a clue about my level of expertise :rolleyes:

#7 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2012-October-07, 18:16

View Postaguahombre, on 2012-October-07, 17:08, said:

This is strictly a change of something related to the output from the Client and something which is different on that end which I might be able to fix by doing something different on this end.

I can't parse that. Are you saying it's something you think you think CAN be fixed at your end or CANNOT be fixed there?

We haven't made any changes related to the voice stuff, as far as I know.

#8 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2012-October-07, 19:13

What I mean is, I don't know whether any subtle changes on your end might have an adverse effect which was unexpected and only causes people with certain software configurations on their own computers to be adversely affected. I don't know that because of my own ignorance.

But, if others, such as Ethel, are also experiencing the same inability to understand what is being said, and they didn't always have that problem, maybe there is something we can do on our end to resolve it.... or maybe some genius could figure out whether some minor adjustment on the BBO end is great for some people's software but sucks for those of us with IE and Microsoft apps. Like I said, I just plain don't know....but I really liked being able to hear and understand Voice, before I couldn't.

#9 User is offline   jallerton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-October-08, 16:39

I've also had variable experiences with voice commentary. In order to diagnose the problem, it's worth doing a few experiments.

1. Try using a different browser. Georgi (one of the technical experts at BBO) advised me to use Firefox instead of IE and that did help one time when I was commentating. If you can hear properly using an alternative browswer, then you know that the problem arises within your original browser software, possibly the settings you are using.

2. If available, try using a different computer via the same internet connection. If the alternative computer works, then Barmar's suggestion about your internet connection is not relevant.

3. Try using a different headset or speaker system, in case that makes the sound clearer.

#10 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2012-October-08, 16:54

Will do. All three suggestions seem dependent on some kind of change my computor has undergone which affects only the reception of BBO voice commentary. But, I will test out those things anyway. Still waiting for the next voice presentation in order to do these tests.

#11 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2012-October-08, 16:58

Since most people have no problem, the causes are usually specific to the computers or Internet connections with problems. Subtle changes like changes to firewall/antivirus signatures can have unexpected effects.

#12 User is offline   HedyG 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-November-11, 12:59

sound was fine on voice commenting all weekend which is just as well since i was commenting, but when i logged on just now ( Sunday evening) i got the staccato again.
tried changing browser ( from FF to IE) but same result.
a few hours ago it was fine and had been so for days and all of a sudden ...weird!
when i open the settings box the voice is fine, but watching a match with a settings box open in the middle of the screen and muted colours is not ideal.
btw that is so on both browsers.
i also tried logging on as visitor, same result.
i have changed nothing since i last logged on. as a matter of fact the laptop was not even turned off.
so i say no, it is not a slight change on my computer. certainly not!

#13 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2012-November-12, 10:28

When it happens again, could you go to www.pingtest.net and check your results there? This site tests the connection quality features that impact multimedia applications. It uses a Java applet, so you need to have this enabled.

#14 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-12, 10:43

Ah, this issue again. FWIW I'll post my observations:

- the staccato voice happens 100% of the time on my Windows XP box, running IE8.
- Voice commentary is 100% fine on my Linux box (using Firefox) and my phone (HTC phone, Android OS, built-in browser).
- All three devices are on the same internet connection.
- Updates to Flash, etc that I've done since this started several months ago have made no difference.

My instincts say this is a bug in the Windows Flash client, or in the way BBO is using said client. I remember spotting a "InsufficientBW" (I assume "bandwidth") error in the packets flowing between my computer and the voice server, but there is clearly enough bandwidth when I use another computer - this may support my theory that the Flash client is bugged.

At the next vugraph with voice commentary I will post the pingtest.net results.

ahydra

#15 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2012-November-12, 10:47

Have you cleared the IE cache as recommended earlier? I did that, but haven't had a voice session to listen to since then, so don't know if it helps.

#16 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2012-November-26, 20:26

O.K. Today I finally got a chance to test the recommendation about clearing the IE cache.

No difference. I guess I will keep visiting the voice commentary from time to time, in the hope that something happens which will allow me to once again understand the words being spoken. The change will probably be the accidental byproduct of some other programming adjustment by BBO.

#17 User is offline   Ethel 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2012-November-27, 13:04

The voice no longer works on my computer. I do not understand everything that is said - I have the latest Flash, and my Internet Explorer Cache is emptied at the end of each day - do not ask me how - I cannot use the Web BBO for vugraph or for teacher's sessions. I am thankful to those teachers who use the radio link. I am fairly certain that there was a change to BBO - however minor - that caused me to lose the voice. My computer has not been changed except to upgrade the various items that are usually mentioned. Thank heaven for friends who understand computers. However, they are unable to discover what the problem is.

#18 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2012-November-27, 13:09

We haven't made any changes to the voice software.

#19 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-27, 15:24

Managed to repro my "Works on Linux/Firefox, not on Windows/IE" today. Also tried clearing the IE cache, no difference.

If you haven't changed the voice software, then the problem is likely in the Windows version of the Flash client. -.-

edit: pingtest.net results: ping 24ms jitter 5ms

ahydra

#20 User is offline   HedyG 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-November-27, 15:43

more staccato tonight, cannot understand the voice commentators at all.
cache cleared
computer restarted
Ping 26ms Jitter 1ms

i repeat: if i open the settings box in the bbo web program the staccato stops and i can hear them perfectly well. i just cannot see anymore what is going on then...

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users