• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Bloody Sunday Inquiry

#1 User is offline   y66 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2010-June-16, 09:05

From Andrew Sullivan's blog

It has taken Britain almost four decades* to admit to a war crime in Northern Ireland:

The Bloody Sunday Inquiry report found that all those killed were unarmed and that paratroopers had lost control and opened fire without warning. Some had been trying to flee when they were hit and soldiers had made up false accounts in a bid to cover up their actions, the report found.

A total of 13 unarmed civilians, seven of them teenagers, died in Londonderry when soldiers from 1st Battalion, the Parachute Regiment opened fire during clashes after the banned march was stopped from entering the city centre on January 30 1972. A 14th man died some time later from his injuries.

This panicked murder of unarmed civilians was the Brits' Gaza moment (along with their Cheney moment in instigating the torture of terror suspects in prison). And this long-delayed report helps show how war crimes take time for democracies to process and take responsibility for. The entire history of the last forty years suggests something else as well: that Irish terrorism was not defeated by force of arms, or brutality, or collective punishment. It took negotiations with the worst parties, a stoic acceptance of some terrorist violence because the attempt to stamp it all out only made it worse, economic growth, and insistence on the most logical partition.

Good observation about "the entire history of the last 40 years". Amazing how much has changed since the Omagh bombing in 1998. Not taking anything away from the work and accomplishments of negotiators, which are an example for others, but also would not minimize the effects of changes in the economy. I mean, who has time for fundamentalist bullshit and thuggery (on all sides) when you can have a Range Rover, a second house in a sunny part of Europe, play golf at Ballybunion or bridge at Templeogue, or just walk along practically any coast in Ireland, breath that sea air and think positively about the future?

*Thirty-eight years, four months, 15 days.
If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

#2 User is offline   Hanoi5 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Video Games, Languages, Travelling.

Posted 2010-June-16, 10:03

I thought this was gonna be a poem...

View Postwyman, on 2012-May-04, 09:48, said:

Also, he rates to not have a heart void when he leads the 3.

View Postrbforster, on 2012-May-20, 21:04, said:

Besides playing for fun, most people also like to play bridge to win

My YouTube Channel

#3 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2010-June-16, 10:13

top 3 song of all time U2 imho.
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#4 User is offline   Lobowolf 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Attorney, writer, entertainer.<br><br>Great close-up magicians we have known: Shoot Ogawa, Whit Haydn, Bill Malone, David Williamson, Dai Vernon, Michael Skinner, Jay Sankey, Brian Gillis, Eddie Fechter, Simon Lovell, Carl Andrews.

Posted 2010-June-16, 12:29

I agree. Interestingly, I think Sabbath Bloody Sabbath is a top-3 Black Sabbath song, also.
1. LSAT tutor for rent.

Call me Desdinova...Eternal Light

C. It's the nexus of the crisis and the origin of storms.

IV: ace 333: pot should be game, idk

e: "Maybe God remembered how cute you were as a carrot."

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users