Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ace-asking conventions void?

#1 User is offline   1axbycz1 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2010-September-13, 23:56

I don't know if this topic has been raised before or not, but I want to clarify one thing about ace-asking conventions (blackwood, gerber, or whatever that people play).

If my partner shows support for my suit and ask me for aces (or keycards in RKC), can voids be considered as aces?
I have been in trouble with voids and responding to partner's ace-ask.
Then, if partner makes a king-ask after an ace-ask, can singletons be considered as kings?

Anyone can help me out?

#2 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2010-September-14, 01:02

No, voids cannot be considered aces. For blackwood to work, there has to be a certain number of aces. For instance, in regular blackwood there are 4. That way partner knows if he has 3 and you show 1, he has them all.

This breaks down if you show an ace with a void, and he has the ace of your void, because now there are 5 aces (4 aces plus your void). Partner might bid 7 off an ace or something similar, which is exactly what blackwood was designed to avoid.

Similarly, singletons cannot be shown as kings.

Some people have methods to show voids, but they are distinguished from aces, and shown above the normal 5S response. If you are a beginner/intermediate player, I'd recommend not worrying about this yet, just get the basics of the convention down first.

#3 User is offline   1axbycz1 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2010-September-14, 16:27

Ok. Thanks for that.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users