• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Play 6 hearts

#1 User is offline   CSGibson 

• Tubthumper
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, pool, financial crime. New experiences, new people.

Posted 2010-November-11, 01:25

club 7 is led

Beyond using 2 as an artificial game force, this was a completely natural auction. Comments on the auction?

How would you play this hand after the 7 is led in 6? This is matchpoints against an average open game club pair.
Chris Gibson

#2 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-November-11, 01:40

CA, HK, DA, D ruff, HJ. I am clearly missing something for this to be in A/E.
(-: Zel :-)

#3 User is offline   Bbradley62 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-November-11, 01:54

The ruff is irrelevant, because my low is going on the long , unless my finess fails, in which case I can ruff later. I break the Barry Crane rule and play West for Q, so I play A, A, J and let it ride if not covered.

#4 User is offline   CSGibson 

• Tubthumper
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-November-11, 01:57

View PostZelandakh, on 2010-November-11, 01:40, said:

CA, HK, DA, D ruff, HJ. I am clearly missing something for this to be in A/E.

Mostly I wanted people's opinion on how to play the trump suit. If you read the lead as a singleton, that presents a vacant spaces argument to finesse LHO for the Q, but you can pick up Qxxx with RHO by playing naturally. There is no need to ruff a diamond either way, since you have time to establish the clubs for a diamond pitch if you guess the trump Q right.
Chris Gibson

#5 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-November-11, 05:23

I play low club at trick one, how do I do?

#6 User is offline   rhm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-November-11, 10:02

View PostFluffy, on 2010-November-11, 05:23, said:

One down I guess
Rainer Herrmann

#7 User is offline   rhm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-November-11, 10:09

View PostCSGibson, on 2010-November-11, 01:57, said:

Mostly I wanted people's opinion on how to play the trump suit. If you read the lead as a singleton, that presents a vacant spaces argument to finesse LHO for the Q, but you can pick up Qxxx with RHO by playing naturally. There is no need to ruff a diamond either way, since you have time to establish the clubs for a diamond pitch if you guess the trump Q right.

I think you should give up on playing RHO for Qxxx. If LHO has a singleton this would give him two singletons.
However, a good opponent might have tricked you by playing the 7 from K7 or K7x.
But unless you know it is a very good player I would reject this assumption. Almost anybody will lead a singleton.

Rainer Herrmann

#8 User is offline   CSGibson 

• Tubthumper
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-November-11, 10:58

View PostFluffy, on 2010-November-11, 05:23, said:

Probably 2 down.
Chris Gibson

#9 User is offline   luke warm 

• Interests:Bridge, poker, politics

Posted 2010-November-12, 09:44

give lho stiff and 4 hearts to the Q,9 (or Q,8)... how does this make by playing A, A, and then J? i must be missing something... it seems to me that if lho has the stiff i can only make if hearts are Qx/xxx or Qxx/xx or x/Qxxx (which i would dismiss as unlikely, as lho would then have two stiffs)... i'd play for Qxx/xx or Qx/xxx

i think i'd take the A, come to hand with the spade, run the J and then (if not covered) K, A... all lho has to do, with Q,9,x,x, is cover the J and i'm down one... iow, i'm playing for a 3/2 or 2/3 heart break with the Q being w/ lho
"Paul Krugman is a stupid person's idea of what a smart person sounds like." Newt Gingrich (paraphrased)

#10 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2010-November-13, 00:47

I play for West to have stiff clubs, if he made a genius lead i will pay him off.

Ace , Ace and Jack. East may have stiff Q, playing jack b4 A doesnt win for anything since we cant handle Q9xx Q8xx we always give a and a .

I play for 3-2 west holding Qxx or Qx or 4-1 Q stiff in west or east.

My line is similar to the ones above, but i also make when East OR west has stiff Q by cashing ACE first at no cost. I really didn't get this coming to hand with A and playing J. Playing J b4 ace is looking for trouble if one of the opponents have stiff Q.Am i missing something ?
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#11 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2010-November-13, 03:14

View PostCSGibson, on 2010-November-11, 01:25, said:

club 7 is led
Beyond using 2 as an artificial game force, this was a completely natural auction. Comments on the auction?
How would you play this hand after the 7 is led in 6? This is matchpoints against an average open game club pair.

• Bidding: 6 seems safer than 6 but not by much. Arguably, 6 is slightly preferrable at match-points. If you play that a jump to 2 over 1 shows 5+ and 4+ , then, later, you can make an informed choice of slam.
  • Play: I agree with rhm that LHO is unlikely to hold two singletons. But LHO might not lead a singleton, holding Qxx; Also LHO may have led 7 from a doubleton or tripleton, after all. So I go with CSGibson's A, K, finesse J. If RHO has Qxxx, then you can re-enter dummy with K to repeat the finesse,

#12 User is offline   CSGibson 

• Tubthumper
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-November-13, 04:13

View Postnige1, on 2010-November-13, 03:14, said:

• Bidding: 6 seems safer than 6 but not by much. Arguably, 6 is slightly preferrable at match-points. If you play that a jump to 2 over 1 shows 5+ and 4+ , then, later, you can make an informed choice of slam.
  • Play: I agree with rhm that LHO is unlikely to hold two singletons. Also LHO might not lead a singleton, holding Qxx; but LHO may have led 7 from a doubleton or tripleton. So I go with CSGibson's A, K, finesse J. If RHO has Qxxx, you can re-enter dummy with K to repeat the finesse,

On this particular hand, LHO had a small doubleton heart and a stiff club. I went down one through fairly normal play (win the lead with the A, to the A, run the J). Note: I think, since you cannot pick up Qxxx with LHO no matter how you play, that if you decide to play LHO for the Q of trump, it is important to cross with a and not a , especially at matchpoints where you can avoid the extra undertrick if LHO has a stiff and a small doubleton .
Chris Gibson

#13 User is offline   dake50 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-November-13, 08:29

Why would LHO make such an informative lead?
He can guess likely diamond is safe, spade is safe.
Leave declarer to his own resources.
I'm guessing a desperation lead,
eg. H:Qx C:Kxx
OR H:Qxx C:Kxx
OR H:xx C:Kx
How did he guess his partner has CK to get his C-ruff?

#14 User is offline   mtvesuvius 

• Vesuvius the Violent Volcano
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:SLEEPING

Posted 2010-November-13, 08:34

View Postdake50, on 2010-November-13, 08:29, said:

Why would LHO make such an informative lead?
He can guess likely diamond is safe, spade is safe.
Leave declarer to his own resources.
I'm guessing a desperation lead,
eg. H:Qx C:Kxx
OR H:Qxx C:Kxx
OR H:xx C:Kx

You've never led a singleton before?

IMO, LHO is very unlikely to have two stiffs. I win the A, and cross to hand with the A, and play A, and J, running it if ducked.
Yay for the "Ignored Users" feature!

#15 User is offline   rduran1216 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2010-November-13, 11:21

I run the J first against almost any opposition. Q9x will probably cover, so if the Jack isn't covered im hopping up with the K and leading back to finesse the 10. I think this is fairly straightforward with this holding. Bad players cover Jacks with queens even more than good players, so thats that.
Aaron Jones Unit 557

www.longbeachbridge.com

#16 User is offline   pooltuna 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-November-13, 12:11

View PostCSGibson, on 2010-November-11, 01:57, said:

The way to play the trump suit has to be balanced by the probablity of a stiff. Would you really break the suit for the opps holding xxxx Qxx xxxxx x? This must be Bbradley's Barry Crane rule
"Tell me of your home world, Usul"
the Freman, Chani from the move "Dune"

"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."

George Bernard Shaw

#17 User is offline   mtvesuvius 

• Vesuvius the Violent Volcano
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:SLEEPING

Posted 2010-November-13, 14:40

View Postpooltuna, on 2010-November-13, 12:11, said:

The way to play the trump suit has to be balanced by the probablity of a stiff. Would you really break the suit for the opps holding xxxx Qxx xxxxx x? This must be Bbradley's Barry Crane rule

Isn't there a bit of reverse psychology there as well? After all, if you lead a stiff and it is clear to the opponents that it is a stiff... Are they likely to play you for the Q? I'd do it from either one, and I suspect most experts would as well...
Yay for the "Ignored Users" feature!

#18 User is offline   dake50 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-November-13, 15:46

"You've never led a singleton before?" -- mtvesuvius

I often lead single in opponents rebid suit
to ensure it gets established immediately.
I want declarer clued-in as best I can. (facetious -- seems that needs pointed out)
I cannot sense diamond is unclaimed,
nor spade is non-tenaced on this auction, can you? (again facetious)
Can anyone see those are both likely safe?
Would rather give no info to declarer than "Here's my single".

#19 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2010-November-13, 15:47

View Postmtvesuvius, on 2010-November-13, 08:34, said:

You've never led a singleton before?

IMO, LHO is very unlikely to have two stiffs. I win the A, and cross to hand with the A, and play A, and J, running it if ducked.

Why are u coming to hand with A, if u are going to cash A like i did ? Why not A and J straight forward ? Whats that about A that everyone comes to hand with ?

@ those who believes is not stiff ; Then take finesse and if not work, try to find , u can not play for both possibilities at 1st trick in this hand, since it extremely reduces the % lines if u do so. And if is not believed to be stiff, % line is to take [finesse], if fails play EAST for Qxxx . Playing A and then playing EAST for Qxxx is not as good as this line IF U believe lead was not stiff.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#20 User is offline   CSGibson 

• Tubthumper
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-November-13, 19:40

View Postdake50, on 2010-November-13, 08:29, said:

Possibly guessed through the cue-bidding sequence, since 1. South was willing to sign off over the 5 cue and 2. South failed to cue 6 over 5
Chris Gibson

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users