• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Easy peasy - UI England UK

#1 User is offline   bluejak 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge Laws, Cats, Railways, Transport timetables

Posted 2010-November-18, 11:39

I do not have the hands, I am afraid. West opened 1NT. This should be announced if natural, alerted otherwise. North looked interrogatively at East, who eventually said "Oh, 12 to 14". North passed, East passed, and South bid 2 on the worst 2 bid ever seen. Naturally it made when 1NT also makes on the likely spade lead.

Do you adjust?
David Stevenson

Merseyside England UK
EBL TD
Currently at home
Visiting IBLF from time to time
<webjak666@gmail.com>

#2 User is offline   AndreSteff 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2010-November-18, 12:00

It is very likely that I would not adjust:
  • It depends on the type of player North is: does he always ask after the meaning of announced/alerted calls?
  • EW started this problem, so NS deserve the benefit of the doubt

So investigation: Yes, adjustment: Not very likely

#3 User is offline   Cascade 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows
  • Interests:Juggling, Unicycling

Posted 2010-November-18, 12:02

View Postbluejak, on 2010-November-18, 11:39, said:

I do not have the hands, I am afraid. West opened 1NT. This should be announced if natural, alerted otherwise. North looked interrogatively at East, who eventually said "Oh, 12 to 14". North passed, East passed, and South bid 2 on the worst 2 bid ever seen. Naturally it made when 1NT also makes on the likely spade lead.

Do you adjust?

I am not convinced that there has been any UI. There may have been but there may not have been. Some might make the stareful interrogation just because the proper procedure was not followed. Such interrogation would not convey any useful information.

4th seat against 1NT at MPs I have been known to bid on some fairly filthy hands on the theory that partner was likely to be making a bad lead anyway. At IMPs I am more cautious.

So not only the 2 hand but the scoring might and more information about the nature of the question and questioner might influence a decision here.

East certainly contributed to the problem by his failure to comply with the announcing regulations. Nevertheless I would need to be convinced that north was not taking advantage of the situation to create UI. That is I would need to feel comfortable that north would behave in the same way with a yarborough and the actual hand.
Wayne Burrows

I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon

#4 User is offline   WellSpyder 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-November-18, 12:07

View PostAndreSteff, on 2010-November-18, 12:00, said:

It is very likely that I would not adjust:
  • It depends on the type of player North is: does he always ask after the meaning of announced/alerted calls?
  • EW started this problem, so NS deserve the benefit of the doubt

So investigation: Yes, adjustment: Not very likely

I agree. In most cases, the only information conveyed is that N has noticed that E has not followed the correct procedure, and this does not suggest one LA over another.

#5 User is offline   paulg 

Posted 2010-November-18, 12:21

I only play two EBU tournaments without screens - the Spring Foursomes and the Brighton Swiss Teams - so I often forget when and where to announce. In the former players generally do not care: in the latter I often receive long stares of the type David describes; people are usually consistent in their contempt irrespective of their point count.
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#6 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2010-November-18, 14:01

Sorry if I am speaking out of turn here in a EBU setting, but I think this is blatant UI.

I pick up an 8 count. No real reason to inquire AFAICT.

I pick up a 14 count and there is a Union Jack hanging outside. I think I will be very interested in the range of NT.

In the US where I (sometimes) carry ex-presidents around, I am less worried about the announcement either way.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#7 User is offline   JoAnneM 

• LOR
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-November-18, 14:17

What would the protection have been if the question had not been asked?
Regards, Jo Anne
Practice Goodwill and Active Ethics
Director "Please"!

#8 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2010-November-18, 14:50

View Postbluejak, on 2010-November-18, 11:39, said:

I do not have the hands, I am afraid. West opened 1NT. This should be announced if natural, alerted otherwise. North looked interrogatively at East, who eventually said "Oh, 12 to 14". North passed, East passed, and South bid 2 on the worst 2 bid ever seen. Naturally it made when 1NT also makes on the likely spade lead. Do you adjust

North's behaviour seems impeccable. North correctly drew attention to a breach of procedural regulations in a straight-forward way without any additional nuance of meaning. That is not UI. In theory, perhaps, rather than give East a hard stare, he should call the director; but in practice, that would be over the top. A strict director might admonish East for his failure to make a timely announcement but North-South appear to have done nothing wrong.

#9 User is offline   JoAnneM 

• LOR
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-November-18, 15:37

Several of my partners and I play DONT over strong NT's and CAPP over weak NT's, so it is important right off that we know what the bid range is. So even if as 2nd bidder I don't have any of those possible bids is it more proper for me to ask the range or wait for partner to do it. Either way, without the alert, we are giving possible UI, but 4th seat may or may not have a bid depending on the range.

I suppose the best thing is to know the range before the bidding starts but that is putting the responsibility on us, not the opening bidder and responder.
Regards, Jo Anne
Practice Goodwill and Active Ethics
Director "Please"!

#10 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2010-November-18, 16:08

Phil and Joanne, I think you are missing the point here that in an EBU setting all 1NT openings are either announced or alerted. Thus North is not asking a question but simply waiting for East to fulfill their requirement.
(-: Zel :-)

#11 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2010-November-18, 16:16

View PostZelandakh, on 2010-November-18, 16:08, said:

Phil and Joanne, I think you are missing the point here that in an EBU setting all 1NT openings are either announced or alerted. Thus North is not asking a question but simply waiting for East to fulfill their requirement.

Just like the left side of the pond.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#12 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird

Posted 2010-November-18, 16:55

interrogative look with contempt = bad. My partner can't see on that side, so as long as you don't make any noise, you could be performing Hamlet's "Alas, poor Yorick" in full Wellesian interpretation, and he would totally ignore you. I have been known to say to people "If you are interested in an explanation, you may wish to ask that. He can't see you." I would prefer to not embarrass either my partner or my opponent, but sometimes, it's what has to be done.

"Range, please?" = seems fine. Strangely enough, I always ask when I'm not told, whether I need to or not, but I'm doing that out of the goodness of my own heart.

As far as I am concerned, any UI caused has been caused (or at least allowed) by East's failure to follow regulations.
I, too, play a system where I may choose to call over a strong NT and pass over a weak NT (or make different calls depending on strong vs weak). If you don't say, I have to ask.

As far as I'm concerned - if you're calling because of UI transmitted because of a question caused by your failure to follow simple procedure (whether it's "stupid" or not), don't expect much sympathy from me. Even if *this* North doesn't Always Ask.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#13 User is offline   campboy 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-November-18, 17:33

It is nice to know that if I want to discourage competition over partner's 1NT opening I can simply fail to announce it and then summon the director if it goes pass, pass, bid.

#14 User is offline   suprgrover 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2010-November-18, 21:22

I would think that this is a situation where I would expect a wide variety of players to Always Ask. East is supposed to clue North into the notrump range 1005 of the time, so one could argue that not asking runs the risk of transmitting UI to partner.

#15 User is offline   dburn 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-November-19, 01:58

Not only do you not have the hands, but you don't have the form of scoring and you don't have the vulnerability. Doubtless you are attempting to make some point or other, but whatever it is, it has nothing to do with bridge.
When Senators have had their sport
And sealed the Law by vote,
It little matters what they thought -
We hang for what they wrote.

#16 User is offline   RMB1 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:EBU/EBL TD
    Bridge, Cinema, Theatre, Food,
    [Walking - not so much]

Posted 2010-November-19, 05:26

dburn, I think this is the point bluejak is try to make:
Does looking pointedly at an opponent, who has failed to announce/alert, transmit UI?
If so, is it (useful) UI that could suggest 2 over Pass?
Robin

"Robin Barker is a mathematician. ... All highly skilled in their respective fields and clearly accomplished bridge players."

#17 User is offline   bluejak 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge Laws, Cats, Railways, Transport timetables

Posted 2010-November-19, 08:36

Perhaps dburn would like to explain what difference the form of scoring makes?

Perhaps dburn would like to explain what difference the vulnerability makes?
David Stevenson

Merseyside England UK
EBL TD
Currently at home
Visiting IBLF from time to time
<webjak666@gmail.com>

#18 User is offline   Chris L 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2010-November-20, 00:05

I assume the point of the original post was to discover whether members of this forum think that a new variant of the so-called "French defence to 1NT" works when there is a breach of the announcing regulations. If North is merely playing policeman, maybe he should leave that to the TD (or wait until the end of the hand). But he has a real problem if he has (say) a hand that wants to get involved over a weak NT but not over a strong one. Whether he asks, looks (with or without a dollop of contempt) or just sits there hoping that East will remember his obligations sooner rather than later, if he eventually passes when told "15-17" and South then acts on a less than classic hand for whatever defence they play, no doubt EW will cry "foul" and seek an adjustment. My inclination would be to adjust where South's bid is particularly gross but not otherwise - or, in marginal cases, if it is thought that the rules should be applied uniformly, impose a procedural penalty on EW which deprives them of the benefit of the adjustment.

#19 User is offline   mfa1010 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-November-20, 09:18

View PostChris L, on 2010-November-20, 00:05, said:

My inclination would be to adjust where South's bid is particularly gross but not otherwise - or, in marginal cases, if it is thought that the rules should be applied uniformly, impose a procedural penalty on EW which deprives them of the benefit of the adjustment.

I think either of those two solutions are unwarranted by the bridge laws.
Michael Askgaard

#20 User is offline   shyams 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-November-21, 04:48

I think the question posed in the OP is highly subjective.

As dburn pointed out, not only the hands but even the vul / form of scoring has not been given.

The key words in the OP appear to be
1. "North looked interrogatively"
2. "worst 2♥ bid ever seen"
... i.e. subjective assessments. The answer would depend on vul, scoring, opp calibre, etc.

How is the info in the OP sufficient to answer the "Do you adjust?" question.

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users