UI in cash game North America

#1 User is offline   rogerclee 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-January-12, 02:57

Playing in a cash game, NS are dealt

The bidding proceeded this way

1) When south bid 1NT, north alerted it as "forcing"

2) After west bid 2H, north looked at the table and said "oh sorry, I thought I opened"

3) North thought for about 4 seconds and bid 2D

4) East rejected the insufficient bid, and north corrected to 3D

3D just made for 110.

West argued that the UI suggested that south pass, since he knew his partner had 4 diamonds most likely, and asked that the result be adjusted to 3N-2 (spades were 5-1). West asserted 3N was actually clear in his bridge judgment.
South argued that this wasn't necessarily true, that in fact the UI that partner had an opening bid actually made bidding more attractive. He also felt that 3N was a poor bid, and if anything the alternative was 3H.

How do you rule?

#2 User is offline   RMB1 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:EBU/EBL TD
    Bridge, Cinema, Theatre, Food,
    [Walking - not so much]

Posted 2011-January-12, 03:30

[An unfortunate title for a topic in "Laws and Ruling", especially when there is no mention of an appeal.]

What UI? There is no UI from 2, Law 27B1(a) says so.

There is UI from "I thought I had opened" but surely he has shown opening values by bidding over 2.

What we do have is Law 27D:

If following the application of B1 the Director judges at the end of the play that without assistance gained through the infraction the outcome of the board could well have been different and in consequence the non-offending side is damaged (see Law 12B1), he shall award an adjusted score. In his adjustment he should seek to recover as nearly as possible the probable outcome of the board had the insufficient bid not occurred.

If North had bid 3 instead of 2, South would probably have bid on and gone down, so the TD shall award an adjusted score. If the insufficient bid had not occurred, North would probably Pass 2. South may bid again but perhaps he has no good action. Possible outcomes are 3= and 2 making. Under Law 12C1c I would weight the outcome; under Law 12C1e I might score award 2 making.

What is the form of scoring in a "cash game", is it rubber bridge? In which case ignore the above which applies to a different code. :)
Robin

"Robin Barker is a mathematician. ... All highly skilled in their respective fields and clearly accomplished bridge players."

#3 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-January-13, 17:01

FWIW without any comment by North, and with him bidding legally (1S then 3D), I pass as S. Sure 3NT is tempting but those diamonds aren't going to set up in a hurry and you have only the one stop in hearts.

ahydra

#4 User is offline   iviehoff 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-January-14, 03:17

View PostRMB1, on 2011-January-12, 03:30, said:

What is the form of scoring in a "cash game", is it rubber bridge? In which case ignore the above which applies to a different code.

Reading the laws of Rubber Bridge http://web2.acbl.org...mbined_2004.pdf, I see there is no provision for an adjusted score, unless one is playing in a club where there is a rule that an arbiter might adjust it. Without such an club rule, it merely says (Proprieties 1) that one should "redress the damage". How does one do that? Pistols at dawn?

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users