#1 User is offline   han 

• Under bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-May-31, 11:37

Hand 5. All red, matchpoints.

AQJxxxx - Kxx 10xx.

1H - pass - pass - ??
Please note: I am interested in boring, bog standard, 2/1.

- hrothgar

#2 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2011-May-31, 12:07

The heart void and extra spade make up for the missing HCPs
Alderaan delenda est

#3 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2011-May-31, 12:12

2 seems normal to me, even though I am a spade long and a king light. 4 is silly; 3 is a little too much. 1 isn’t really a lie, but why not try to preempt them a little and show the spade length?
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#4 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2011-May-31, 13:00

4s

very close second choice 2s.

#5 User is offline   Echognome 

• Deipnosophist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-May-31, 14:19

3. Seems about right on playing strength. I actually answered this before seeing the options below. To me it was a question between 2 and 3. I do not see 1 or 4 as options.
"Half the people you know are below average." - Steven Wright

#6 User is offline   whereagles 

• Interests:Everything!

Posted 2011-June-01, 00:26

Echo the Echo: 3 is just about a perfect description of the hand.

#7 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-June-01, 04:46

Perhaps 3S is a better description but I just don't want to go down. 2S.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#8 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue

Posted 2011-June-01, 07:48

I don't think this will be a popular choice :(
Partner rates to have a couple of pieces in the minors, but that leaves us with 4 losers still, if 3 is the same strenght than 2 with higher ODR then I'd try that, but I didn't ever talk about it with anyone.

We have not enough to blast game, yet partner will often missevaluate his heart holdings. The only solution I've found is to bid 1 and see what comes next. If partner bids 1NT I go low with 2, if he bids 2 or 3 (NT) then we probably make 4 on power despie the wastage, and if he makes a penalty double of 2 or 3 I'll bid spades again and hope he reevaluates now.

#9 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2011-June-01, 08:19

1, I have a nice hand, no need to jump at the moment.
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#10 User is offline   P_Marlowe 

Posted 2011-June-01, 08:54

2S - I think the hand is 1 trick too weak for a 3S bid.

2S showes a min opener with 6 spades, sounds like a reasonable describtion
of the hand in question.

With kind regards
Marlowe
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)

#11 User is offline   han 

• Under bidder

Posted 2011-June-02, 17:59

Hand 5.

AQJxxxx - Kxx 10xx.

1H - pass - pass - ?? 

Nigel: 2S
Fred: 3S
Josh: 3S
Adam: 1S
Ben: 2S
Michael: 3S
Paul: 2S
Gonzalo: 1S
Frances: 2S
Roger: 2S
Justin: 2S
Hanoi: 1S
Vincent: 2S
Andy: 3S

After this hand we all know how the experts play 1S, 2S and 3S and life will be better.

Paul: 2S. Shows an intermediate hand with spades, seems about what I have.

Frances: 2S. Decent opening bid, 6 or more spades. Seems to describe the hand perfectly.

Roger: 2S, seems like we are well within range, and I don't think there is enough tactical upside to 3S, it is just an overbid.

Justin: This seems perfect for 2S.

Now that has been cleared up, what does 3S show?

Andy: 3S. Shows a similar hand to 2S, but with more playing strength and less defence. 4S just invites a stupid result if partner has too much of his strength in hearts.

Michael: 3S. Close to bidding 4S, since it is often bad to have a surprising distributional asset (here: H-void) and then leave a delicate decision to partner.

Fred: 3S. My second choice would be 1S, but I think that 3S is a fairly accurate description of my hand. There is no reason to bid 4S as I expect that partner will usually raise me to game if we belong there and he may be inclined to try 3NT instead (which could easily be the best spot).

If this is what 3S shows then why not bid it? We combine showing our hand with great preemption. Vincent seems to agree with these definitions of 2S and 3S but still bids 2:

Vincent: 2S. Whatever you bid at matchpoints, it's a bit of a gamble. 2S shows more hcp, but a 3S doesn't tell the story either.

Gonzalo (who bids 1S) and Nigel (who bids 2S) think that 3S may be best but they don't have a clear agreement.

At the extremes:

Adam: 1S. For me, 2S is a weaker hand than this (basically shows six spades and the weakest hand where I would balance). Bidding 4S is an option but with RHO already passed and them being red, I don't think going slow is likely to help opponents all that much... and it might help me avoid a bad game.

Hanoi: I bid 1S. A jump here would show a better hand, probably with better side values.

Inquiry: 2S. Too strong for 1S, so 2S by default.

At the table LHO had a 20-count with 5-5 in the red suits. You can make 4S but they have a cheap sacrifice in 5H. Maybe 3S will make it difficult for them to find it. Many panelists seem to be afraid to go down in 3S though, and opt to bid only 2S. All red at MPs, that may well be best.

Scores:
2S = 100 (7 votes)
3S = 80 (4 votes)
1S = 60 (3 votes)
Please note: I am interested in boring, bog standard, 2/1.

- hrothgar

#12 User is offline   Hanoi5 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Video Games, Languages, Travelling.

Posted 2011-June-02, 18:23

If I had re-checked 'The Complete Balancing...' by Lawrence before answering I would have gotten 80. 2 is intermidiate, some 11-15 and although this hand looks that good there are only HCP's in two suits and a void in a suit partner is expected to hold length and strength. 3 is said to be (in that book) a long and good suit/hand that'll take 9 tricks in front of 10-11 random HCP's. I think this fits that description.

View Postwyman, on 2012-May-04, 09:48, said:

Also, he rates to not have a heart void when he leads the 3.

View Postrbforster, on 2012-May-20, 21:04, said:

Besides playing for fun, most people also like to play bridge to win

My YouTube Channel

#13 User is offline   kgr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-June-03, 02:02

Is 4 scoring 0, at least 1 expert says it is close to 4...so 4 should score 0.5...but maybe you rounded that to 0 and that seems correct.
Actually I don't remember what I said on this hand. I doubted between all choices and 4.
I wonder if more experts would bid 4 if it was IMPS's?

#14 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2011-June-03, 02:51

Han, looks like inquiry bid 2?
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#15 User is offline   y66 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-June-03, 06:13

View Posthan, on 2011-June-02, 17:59, said:

AQJxxxx - Kxx 10xx.

1H - pass - pass - ?? 

Andy: 3S. Shows a similar hand to 2S, but with more playing strength and less defence.

This seems like a very clear, useful agreement to have for 3S here. Will adopt this.
If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

#16 User is offline   awm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-June-03, 10:03

When I chose 1 on this hand, I knew this would not be a majority choice. I have a very strong preference to play these 4th seat jumps differently than what seems to be standard. Since part of these polls is apparently advocating our preferred styles, I will say a little more about this. Suppose we compare the following two hands which we might hold in balancing seat:

(1) AQJTxx x Qxx xxx

(2) AQJTxx x AQx xxx

The standard style seems to be that hand (1) will balance with 1, and that hand (2) will balance with 2 intermediate. I think it is much better to play the opposite style; I'll list some reasons below:

Opener may take another call, which might buy the contract or help them push us up. This is much more likely to be an issue when I hold hand (1), since my weaker hand tends to imply more strength in opener. Jumping to 2 applies some pressure, and may cause opener to sell when he would find a call over 1 (or to potentially go for some numbers if he bids at the three level on the same hands).

When I hold hand (1), it is quite likely that partner has around 13-14 hcp (I have 9, RHO is very weak, LHO might have extras but is often around the 12-16 range). Partner's hand probably includes a bunch of hearts (like four of them, maybe five) and perhaps not that many spades. What do I expect partner to do with such a hand when I balance 1? Well, 1NT seems quite wimpy on 13-14 high, and I'd expect a 2NT bid. This is really not what I want to hear when I hold hand (1), and the laws will not permit me to correct 2NT back to 2. Of course, if my balancing 2 shows a weak hand then partner can simply pass on his 13-14 hcp misfit and allow us to play 2. Note that this is not an issue at all with hand (2), since I am accepting a 2NT invite quite happily.

In the vast majority of my partnerships, I play natural weak two bids in the majors. My partners have a great deal of experience in bidding over a weak two bid. They have a good feel for what they need for game, when to pass on an otherwise decent hand, and so forth. We have discussion of methods like ogust and shortness asks. On the other hand, my partners generally have no feel for bidding over an intermediate two bid (which I don't play in any established partnership). Generally I would expect worse results simply due to "mistakes" by playing a method that almost never comes up like this. I have seen even very established expert-level partnerships miss game (or overbid to one) because they were not quite on the same page about just which hands qualified for a 4th seat intermediate two. I find it much more effective to let the balancing jump show the weakest hand where I would balance (thus resembling a vulnerable weak two bid) and to balance at the one-level on the intermediate hands. This puts us "in book" to use a chess term, where we are more likely to make good decisions.
Adam W. Meyerson
a.k.a. Appeal Without Merit

#17 User is offline   Foxx 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Being quick, brown, and foxy; Jumping over lazy dogs

Posted 2011-June-03, 20:16

Lone voice for double here.

You can double, planning to make a minimum spade bid next. Double keeps the minors in the picture if partner has x and a six-card minor suit, and it keeps a penalty of hearts in the picture.

But then again, the last time I doubled with this kind of hand, it was an absolute calamity, so maybe I should just shut up and listen.

#18 User is offline   mfa1010 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2011-June-04, 05:48

View PostFoxx, on 2011-June-03, 20:16, said:

Lone voice for double here.

You can double, planning to make a minimum spade bid next. Double keeps the minors in the picture if partner has x and a six-card minor suit, and it keeps a penalty of hearts in the picture.

But then again, the last time I doubled with this kind of hand, it was an absolute calamity, so maybe I should just shut up and listen.

I don't think we should keep anything in the picture before we have convinced partner about our very long and strong spades. The thought of partner passing 1X is frightening. I don't think that that would be right often. Double then spades will typically be something like a 17-count with 5 spades. That is not a good description for our hand.
Michael Askgaard

#19 User is offline   benlessard 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:All games. i really mean all of them.

Posted 2011-June-04, 17:25

2S My comments were in balance bid what you can make and i prefer 2 to 3 and 4S is a joke.
From Psych "I mean, Gus and I never see eye-to-eye on work stuff.
For instance, he doesn't like being used as a human shield when we're being shot at.
I happen to think it's a very noble way to meet one's maker, especially for a guy like him.
Bottom line is we never let that difference of opinion interfere with anything."

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users