Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Leading singleton King

#1 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2011-July-10, 21:00

This was board #4 from ACBL Robot Duplicate #9555.

All the pairs that declared in the South hand make 12 tricks, because GIB W always led its singleton King, so I got only 6.5% for staying out of the bad slam.

I believe this is another fault of GIB's use of DD analysis in its defensive play. A human would be salivating, saying to himself "I'll bet the 2 bidder has the Ace, and will finesse, so I'll get to win my singleton King." But GIB deals out a bunch of layouts for the other 3 hands, while keeping its hand as it is, and performs double dummy analysis of them. Playing double dummy, declarer always drops singleton kings when it needs to, so GIB doesn't think it's giving anything away by leading it.

The big problem with using DD analysis for this is that it doesn't recognize that declarer DOESN'T know what's in your hand.

Since GIB's basic design is not likely to change, there need to be some overrides to prevent these stupid plays -- leading kings, and helping declarer find queens by playing them when it leads towards dummy in a 2-way finesse situation.

#2 User is offline   cloa513 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-July-10, 23:10

View Postbarmar, on 2011-July-10, 21:00, said:

This was board #4 from ACBL Robot Duplicate #9555.

All the pairs that declared in the South hand make 12 tricks, because GIB W always led its singleton King, so I got only 6.5% for staying out of the bad slam.

I believe this is another fault of GIB's use of DD analysis in its defensive play. A human would be salivating, saying to himself "I'll bet the 2 bidder has the Ace, and will finesse, so I'll get to win my singleton King." But GIB deals out a bunch of layouts for the other 3 hands, while keeping its hand as it is, and performs double dummy analysis of them. Playing double dummy, declarer always drops singleton kings when it needs to, so GIB doesn't think it's giving anything away by leading it.

The big problem with using DD analysis for this is that it doesn't recognize that declarer DOESN'T know what's in your hand.

Since GIB's basic design is not likely to change, there need to be some overrides to prevent these stupid plays -- leading kings, and helping declarer find queens by playing them when it leads towards dummy in a 2-way finesse situation.

Bizarre use of Blackwood when you have no aces or kings. God know why you responded to his Blackwood just bid 6H yourself.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users