• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

EBL Lecture Notes San Remo

#21 User is offline   dburn 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-July-14, 16:05

I observe that Ton Kooijman's paper on Adjusted Scores says (in my opinion) all that needs to be said about Reveley Rulings:

In my opinion there is only one reasonable conclusion: for the offending side the adjusted score does not include any weight for a result realized by committing an unauthorized information infraction.

Of course, this is not the full story. Suppose West "uses UI" to bid four spades over South's four hearts and his side scores well thereby. A Director or a Committee may cancel West's bid of four spades - but may still consider that East would (some or all of the time) bid four spades anyway after an in-tempo pass by West. In such a case, the Director or the Committee may make an adjustment based in whole or in part on a contract of four spades (doubled or not, according to circumstance) by East-West.

I observe also that I have read Grattan's paper twice now, and I don't understand it. But this is to be expected: on a fifth reading I will perhaps have some idea of what it means, and by the eighth or ninth I may even be able to say whether I agree with it or not.
When Senators have had their sport
And sealed the Law by vote,
It little matters what they thought -
We hang for what they wrote.

#22 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2011-July-15, 00:29

To be fair to Grattan, he has told me he agrees that one shouldn't give Reveley rulings, he just believes that they are legal.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users