• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1NT overcalls Followups

#1 User is offline   BunnyGo 

• Lamentable Bunny
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-July-07, 15:37

This is probably well known, but it is not known to me.

In the sequence:

(1H)-1N-(P)-2D

what is 2D when playing "systems on"? Is it to play? Is it a cuebid of some kind?

Likewise in the sequence:

(1S)-1N-(P)-2H

what is 2H? Is it to rightside a heart contract? Is it a cuebid?

Thanks for the thoughts.
Bridge Personality: 44 44 43 34

Never tell the same lie twice. - Elim Garek on the real moral of "The boy who cried wolf"

#2 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2011-July-07, 16:29

Takeout of hearts/spades.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#3 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2011-July-07, 16:38

I use this as a cue, askking if partner really has a good stopper.

With the greatest of stoppers, Opener bids 2NT or 3NT as appropriate.

With a mediocre stopper, Opener accepts the transfer (bidding in the example 2). Responder can then scramble if he wants, or bid 2NT/3NT if that's sufficient (2NT being invitational).

With no stopper (or whatever the worst conceivable "stopper" situation is for the partnership), Opener immediately initiates scrambling, bidding suits in some logical manner.

A "super-accept" of 3 in the example shows a maximum with the stopper featuring pure trick-taking values, meaning primes and AQ, AKJ, or such in the opponents' suit.
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#4 User is offline   xxhong 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2011-July-07, 16:42

IMO, it can be an exposure of psyche in some situations. If some players frequently psyche a major suit at 3rd seat when white, there gotta be a way to play that suit.

#5 User is offline   Hanoi5 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Video Games, Languages, Travelling.

Posted 2011-July-07, 17:51

View Postxxhong, on 2011-July-07, 16:42, said:

IMO, it can be an exposure of psyche in some situations. If some players frequently psyche a major suit at 3rd seat when white, there gotta be a way to play that suit.

I don't have any agreement about this sequence but I always play that when they intervene our NT (or we bid NT over their opening bid) the level of 4 remains the same: 4 choose a Major, 4 heart xfer, 4 spade xfer, 4 asks for the number of aces, 4NT quantitative. But in this case I don't have any agreement I guess in the case of diamonds (when they opened hearts) it sounds better as natural to play and in the second case I like Ken's option (asking for how good the stopper is).

View Postwyman, on 2012-May-04, 09:48, said:

Also, he rates to not have a heart void when he leads the 3.

View Postrbforster, on 2012-May-20, 21:04, said:

Besides playing for fun, most people also like to play bridge to win

My YouTube Channel

#6 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-July-07, 18:26

View PostHanoi5, on 2011-July-07, 17:51, said:

I don't have any agreement about this sequence but I always play that when they intervene our NT (or we bid NT over their opening bid) the level of 4 remains the same: 4 choose a Major, 4 heart xfer, 4 spade xfer, 4 asks for the number of aces, 4NT quantitative. But in this case I don't have any agreement I guess in the case of diamonds (when they opened hearts) it sounds better as natural to play and in the second case I like Ken's option (asking for how good the stopper is).

I like this a lot. My favourite partner and I play these same 4-level bids over 1NT openers, but have never considered whether to play them over 1NT overcalls (at lower levels we play natural takeouts).
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#7 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2011-July-07, 20:57

OP asks what it means if playing "system on". I don't think "natural takeouts" are what one would think of in the meaning of "system on".

So, if normal system is on, then 2D is some kind of transfer to hearts. I could wait a long time to want to play in hearts when lefty has opened that 5-card major. So, KenRexford's scheme is the most logical ---showing an invite+ hand in NT, and checking for a real stopper.
I might be influenced by the fact that it is what we use. It also lets us keep the artificial meaning of 2NT, and allows 2C Stayman to really have the other major.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#8 User is online   P_Marlowe 

Posted 2011-July-08, 02:29

Hi,

If you play "system on", ... this is a transfer.

Of course you may ask, how frequent it is to transfer in a suit, which happens to break 5-?
Assumining that they have made a psych 1 level opening bid, ..., maybe if the opening
happened in 3rd seat.

Bergen gave an example, and asked how elso to get there.
And if the 1NT overcall was after a 3rd level opening bid, ..., sometimes they open 4 card suits
in 3rd seat, even when playing 5 card major.

We play, that the transfer bid, that makes no sense major showes the unbid major and exactly inv.
strength, so that still sensible transfer bid is either weak or GF.

Does not come up often, but makes some sense.

With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)

#9 User is offline   whereagles 

• Interests:Everything!

Posted 2011-July-08, 07:13

Since I overcall 1NT with or without stoppers, I use those bids as stopper ask. Example:

1 1NT pass 2
pass ??

Now:

2 = 1/2 stopper
2/3NT = full stopper
2/3m = no stopper, trying to land somewhere

#10 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2011-July-08, 08:17

View PostBunnyGo, on 2011-July-07, 15:37, said:

This is probably well known, but it is not known to me.

In the sequence:

(1H)-1N-(P)-2D

what is 2D when playing "systems on"? Is it to play? Is it a cuebid of some kind?

Likewise in the sequence:

(1S)-1N-(P)-2H

what is 2H? Is it to rightside a heart contract? Is it a cuebid?

Thanks for the thoughts.

I like to play it as a natural (light) invite that doesn't care about rightsiding (if there is such thing in this case). It's less useful with , but you can stay lower.

Alternatives are the normal transfers, hoping to field a psych (particulary useful after 3rd seat openings).
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#11 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2011-July-08, 12:17

I don't believe that there is a 'standard' as such. We play the call as showing one of two hand types
(i) a game forcing 3-suiter with singleton or void in their suit
(ii) a transfer to their suit

Overcaller must compete, and responder can pass or bid game in their suit with type (ii) and do something natural with type (i).
It's not just a matter of guarding against a psyche (although that doesn't hurt) but some people systemically open 1H on 5432 in the suit.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users