BBO Discussion Forums: how to show weak/good single raise - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

how to show weak/good single raise

#1 User is offline   vgarla 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2011-July-30, 08:33

pd open,how to show weak vs good single raise after rt hand opp bid.tx

#2 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2011-July-30, 08:34

I think we may need a little more information, how good is good?
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

#3 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-July-30, 08:37

What was the opening bid?
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#4 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2011-July-30, 08:49

What I think most people play is that simply bidding the suit at the cheapest level is a weak raise, cue-bidding the opponent's suit is invitational or better, and a jump raise is a weak preempt.

If you normally play constructive major-suit raises, it may not be possible to distinguish between weak and constructive raises when there's interference. If the opening bid was 1 and the overcall was 1, you COULD still use forcing 1NT, but this may be more useful as a natural bid in this case. But if partner opened 1, the interference already puts you on the 2 level, so there's no room to distinguish between types of raises.

#5 User is offline   BunnyGo 

• Lamentable Bunny
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-July-30, 09:33

Some people also play that jump cue bids are intermediate raises.
Bridge Personality: 44 44 43 34

Never tell the same lie twice. - Elim Garek on the real moral of "The boy who cried wolf"

#6 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-July-30, 11:08

BunnyGo, on 2011-July-30, 09:33, said:

Some people also play that jump cue bids are intermediate raises.

These "mixed" raises shown by the jump-cue have 4-card support, still leaving the doubt when holding only 3.

I saw a simple raise alerted as weak after some overcall in the Wagar, but don't remember the suit overcalled or the major opened. I assume they must use one-under as the constructive raise and don't know whether they use it as part of a transfer structure.

If the interference is a double/1M, transfer responses solve the issue completely.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#7 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-July-30, 12:53

aguahombre, on 2011-July-30, 11:08, said:

If the interference is a double/1M, transfer responses solve the issue completely.

It also solves any overcall if you are prepared to give up a "takeout" double.

If opponents double you can simply ignore it and bid whatever you would normally.
If opponents bid a suit (no jump) or 1NT, a simple solution is that a double or bid is a transfer to the next bid, up to the level of transfer to 2 of partner's suit. So for example 1 (2) ...
X = transfer to diamonds (weak or stronger)
2 = transfer to 2, ie a "good raise"
2 = weak raise.

Normally new suit bids above 2 of partner's suit are natural and forcing by a non-passed hand, and by a passed hand either a fit-non-jump (a natural suit, together with enough support to raise to 3 - useful to opener deciding what to do over 4th seat's bid), or a weak takeout, or whatever else you may decide.

An important point to get used to with transfer support is that if in an uninterrupted auction 1 2 2 is a trial bid, then you also do this in response to the transfer - you do not automatically complete the transfer raise. 1 (2) 2 (pass) 2 is a trial bid.

#8 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2011-July-30, 13:05

After a takeout double, I play transfer responses (starting with 1NT as a transfer to clubs). A transfer raise to 2 of partner's major shows a good raise, while a direct raise to 2 of partner's major shows a junk raise.

#9 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2011-July-30, 13:30

Sorry, I mentioned acting over a takeout double, as a "by the way". Didn't intend to derail OP's question about when the opponent "bids".
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#10 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-July-30, 14:34

A lot of people seem to think "double" is a bid. :P
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#11 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2011-July-31, 05:01

ArtK78, on 2011-July-30, 13:05, said:

After a takeout double, I play transfer responses (starting with 1NT as a transfer to clubs). A transfer raise to 2 of partner's major shows a good raise, while a direct raise to 2 of partner's major shows a junk raise.

With this method you can also show another suit on the way to making a single raise. At least this is what my favourite partner and I do, but we haven't been doing it for too long, so I am not sure if responder's plan can be totally derailed by competition.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#12 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-July-31, 06:23

Vampyr, on 2011-July-31, 05:01, said:

With this method you can also show another suit on the way to making a single raise. At least this is what my favourite partner and I do, but we haven't been doing it for too long, so I am not sure if responder's plan can be totally derailed by competition.

I haven't tried this with a less than invitational hand, as I have always had the view that once there is competition you need to show support immediately, whether by a sole-support bid or a fit-jump etc. If you don't, when 4th seat raises to 3m a minimal opener is not going to bid 3M on a 6 card suit. And you can't bid 3M in case he has only 5.

#13 User is offline   wodahs 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2011-August-01, 23:19

In competition, I give up XX, and use it as the beginning of a transfer ladder. I don't include NT bids in the ladder, because they can be situational (better if lead up to them)

After 1H (X), then XX = spades (rare), 1NT = natural, 2C = diamonds, 2D/H = good/bad raises.

Also here (1C) 1H (X) ??

Also here starting with X, (1C) 1H (nC) ??

Also here starting with X (instead of snapdragon) (1D) 1H (2C) ??, where X = "3-fit cue raise", 2D = good raise, 2H = bad raise, 3C/D = 4-fit raises.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users