BBO Discussion Forums: Scoring 6 board short triangle matches - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Scoring 6 board short triangle matches Using WBF VPs!

#1 User is offline   Rossoneri 

• Wabbit
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2011-July-31, 21:51

Yes, I know short triangles but silly, but this was due to circumstances beyond my control.

I have tried some way of manually deriving a VP table, but I'm not quite sure if I'm right. I've also searched and not been able to find much. Would anyone happen to be able to shed more light on how to do the scoring?
SCBA National TD, EBU Club TD

Unless explicitly stated, none of my views here can be taken to represent SCBA or any other organizations.

#2 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-August-01, 02:58

View PostRossoneri, on 2011-July-31, 21:51, said:

Yes, I know short triangles but silly, but this was due to circumstances beyond my control.

I have tried some way of manually deriving a VP table, but I'm not quite sure if I'm right. I've also searched and not been able to find much. Would anyone happen to be able to shed more light on how to do the scoring?

If you are using EBU VP scales, they are in the White Book. Otherwise, let us know what the basic VP scale is that you are using.

Edit: sorry I see now that you put WBF in the sub-title.

This post has been edited by gordontd: 2011-August-01, 03:03

Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#3 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-August-01, 05:11

View PostRossoneri, on 2011-July-31, 21:51, said:

You can't do it perfectly, because a draw in the WBF scale is 15-15, so can't be halved. The simple method recommended by the WBF CTD is to add together their IMPs for the two half-matches and convert it to VPs using the 12-board scale. You'll find the VPs won't balance exactly, but any extra effort to improve this still won't get you a perfect solution.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#4 User is offline   Rossoneri 

• Wabbit
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-August-01, 21:03

View Postgordontd, on 2011-August-01, 05:11, said:

You can't do it perfectly, because a draw in the WBF scale is 15-15, so can't be halved. The simple method recommended by the WBF CTD is to add together their IMPs for the two half-matches and convert it to VPs using the 12-board scale. You'll find the VPs won't balance exactly, but any extra effort to improve this still won't get you a perfect solution.

Thanks Gordon! (And thanks Max!)

While waiting for some word, I actually did come up with something based on John Probst's article and David Stevenson's website.

So after some work in MATLAB (though a standard normal table would do just fine), I obtained:

7.5-7.5 0-1
8.5-6.5 2-4
9.5-5.5 5-7
10.5-4.5 8-10
11.5-3.5 11-13
12.5-2.5 14-17
12.5-1.5 18-23
12.5-0.5 24+

My results were less "flat" than if I had used the adding and scoring method.
SCBA National TD, EBU Club TD

Unless explicitly stated, none of my views here can be taken to represent SCBA or any other organizations.

#5 User is offline   jh51 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-August-02, 14:59

Just so I can satisfy my curiosity about terminology, is a triangle match the same as what in the US is typically called a 3 way? (ie, a match where 3 teams play each other. It often occurs if an odd number of teams exist in a Swiss, but will also occur with certain numbers of teams in a KO.)

#6 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-August-02, 15:06

View Postjh51, on 2011-August-02, 14:59, said:

Just so I can satisfy my curiosity about terminology, is a triangle match the same as what in the US is typically called a 3 way? (ie, a match where 3 teams play each other. It often occurs if an odd number of teams exist in a Swiss, but will also occur with certain numbers of teams in a KO.)

Yes :)
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users