Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Laugh or Cry Funny in Retrospect

#1 User is offline   jh51 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2011-August-11, 13:31

In a KO event, one of our teammates heard his partner bid 1NT. After a pass he saw something like the following hand:
Axxx
Kxx
Jxx
Qxx
He bid 3NT, reasoning that it did not make sense to bid Stayman with a 4-3-3-3 shape.

Alas, the symbols I have posted for this hand are correct.

At our table, I seem to recall we made some effective noise in Diamonds and the opponents somehow stopped short of game. 3NT was doomed, while 4 was quite cold. We lost this match by 6 IMPs.

Should I laugh or cry?

#2 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-August-11, 13:57

Reminds me of holding

KQxx
Kxx
xx
AJxx

I open 1N, partner transfers to spades, at this point I realise both black suits are clubs ...

#3 User is offline   paulg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-August-11, 15:09

I've found that 2-5-2-2-2 hands are notoriously difficult to bid. The hand does not really look balanced with a suit that is three cards longer than any other, but the long suit does not really warrant a rebid. To make it worse the short suits are really too short to bring into the auction. I remember being surprised at being stymied by such a simple hand.
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#4 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2011-August-12, 03:56

Reminds me of a hand I played using a relay system, one of my opps Doubled a relay early in the auction but I only saw it 2 rounds later. In the meantime I had described my 4=4=4=1 as a 1=5=2=5 and partner started a slambidding sequence. He asked AKQ-points and where they were located, but I admit say it's very difficult to show that you have AKQ after you've shown a singleton ... ;) Luckily partner saw in his hand that something had gone wrong, but he can't know what. I ended up in 5 playing a 4-2 fit, and almost made it (trumps split 5-2 instead of 4-3). 3NT was easy, and as usual, we were VUL... :rolleyes:

What can you do in such situations? Just apologize and laugh with it afterwards... :D
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users