• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Solving a tie In a swiss

#41 User is offline   lamford 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-August-29, 11:12

View Postbluejak, on 2011-August-29, 10:12, said:

I think that any bridge event automatically and consistently decides who is the best contestant to be very naive.

I still think the advantages of total imps being part of the score very underrated. I agree it is not totally fair, but I expect nothing is, and there is always luck in bridge.

Can I suggest something from chess, which is sum of progressive scores. So, a team that went 20 40 60 65 = 185 would beat a team that went 6 25 45 65 = 141. A little random, but a good measure of how strong the field faced is. And, and this should not be pooh-poohed, simple to work out for the players.
[I see that Mbodell suggested a similar method, totalling the number of matches won after each round; however this often leads to further ties]
I prefer to give the lawmakers credit for stating things for a reason - barmar

#42 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-September-24, 08:45

I have another suggestion, you could use linear interpolation of the VP scale to add a small fractional element as your tie-breaker score (TBS). For example if -2 to +2 represents a VP draw, then an IMP draw would give a TBS of 0, +1 IMP would give a TBS of 0.33 and +2 IMPS would give a TBS or 0.67. This is also simple and could be quoted in the format David gives for quick and easy comparisons. It also addresses Frances' issue since you simply cut off the scale for highly one-sided matches.
(-: Zel :-)

#43 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2011-September-26, 12:35

Or you could do what I think is obvious, and now events are scored by computer either get rid of the VP scale altogether (but retaining a cap) or use fractional VPs - map all the imp differences onto a 0-20 scale but rounding to, say, 2 dps. Then you are wildly unlikely ever to have a tie.

This is close to, but not the the same as, your suggestion because you are only using the fractional VPs to break a tie, while I'd never have a tie in the first place (and the end result might be different).

#44 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-September-27, 09:06

Your way is clearly superior Frances. My method is just a poor-man's version where this is not possible. Given that BBO is using fractional IMPs it really ought not to be too long before we start seeing fractional VPs.
(-: Zel :-)

#45 User is offline   campboy 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-September-27, 10:11

I don't think BBO uses fractional IMPs. The final crossimp is a fraction, but that is just because it is an average of several comparisons. Each comparison still gets awarded a whole number of IMPs.

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users