• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Your bid

#1 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-August-25, 23:47

IMPS, no agreement on pd's pass over 5. Opponents are world class.

Whats your bid ?
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#2 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner

Posted 2011-August-26, 00:33

What is my other option besides 5H? I won't double with no tricks. Passing just seems weird, they will have a had time doubling us if we're down, and we might make, and they might make. It could be a winner but I can't see doing it.

#3 User is offline   jdeegan 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Economics
    Finance
    Bridge bidding theory
    Cooking
    Downhill skiing

Posted 2011-August-26, 00:35

:P 5 Lotsa trumps around the table, so it could even be a double game swing. I got zero defense. However, World Class opponents favorably vul might be jacking me around, esp. if they were old rubber bridge players from Bobby Nail's playing duplicate. I hardly expect to beat World Class opponents every time on these types of hands, even playing opposite myself.
Most minimum hands I can construct give us at least a play for five, though. Pard opened 1 on a ten high suit, so he should have at least three bullets or four serious high cards and maybe a stiff club. With a doubleton club and all those non-heart high cards he might well have doubled.
I am, generally speaking, encouraged to bid by partner's pass. The usual rule is that his pass is forcing if we have voluntarily agreed to bid to game. Since my 3 bid was strong, but not I assume absolutely forcing to game, there is an ambiguity. I would still consider his pass with ten high trumps as suggesting I bid on, and I surely have the right hand to bid on.

#4 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-August-26, 06:50

I don't know what to think. Partner's pass suggests doubt about bidding on v. doubling. Which means he doesn't have a bunch of side suit quick tricks - if he had those with his crap hearts, would he have doubt? But .. side suit quick tricks are exactly what I need to make 5. I suppose ultimately I bid 5, based only on "when in doubt, bid one more." But at a real table I'd probably blow a gasket first.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#5 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2011-August-26, 07:06

I know the hand but 5 looks pretty obvious.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#6 User is offline   BunnyGo 

• Lamentable Bunny
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-August-26, 07:12

Even though Phil knows the hand, I agree that 5 seems to be the winning bid. My hand is about as bad for defense as a 14 point hand can be (I could easily see 5 making) and while the offensive values are a bit too clustered, I can't see passing or doubling (or trying for slam) as viable options.
Bridge Personality: 44 44 43 34

Never tell the same lie twice. - Elim Garek on the real moral of "The boy who cried wolf"

#7 User is offline   whereagles 

• Interests:Everything!

Posted 2011-August-26, 07:55

Pard probably passed 5 despite his likely club singleton because he of his bad trumps. It's not hard to come up with minimum hands opposite which 5 makes, so that's my bid. We need him to have some aces and kings (as opposed to quacks), but that's not too big a prayer in these circumstances.

#8 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2011-August-26, 11:28

This was an interesting hand. I was 1 opener and i held (spots are irrelevant so i just made them up w/o looking original hand record)

6 from N is a perfect contract. I don't know if i could/should have bid differently as north. I seriously smelled it at the table (well BBO), just didnt have the balls with AKQJ of trumps missing in my hand.

Do u agree with my pass or would you bid 5 ? And would u bid 6 pver pd's 5 ?
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#9 User is offline   pooltuna 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-August-26, 12:09

I bite the dust for 6 personally I think once a game invitation is issued FP ought to be in force and so partner's pass should indicate very strong minor holdings but I have no call which is investigatory for a grand slam that make any sense here.

Because the hand diagram is so small I cant tell the difference between a and a so I thought the auction was actually 1 2 3 5. Considering the actual auction I would probably just call 5
"Tell me of your home world, Usul"
the Freman, Chani from the move "Dune"

"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."

George Bernard Shaw

#10 User is offline   whereagles 

• Interests:Everything!

Posted 2011-August-26, 12:14

hmm.. would have bid 5H with pard's hand.. me haves void.

bidding slam over your 5 is.. well, trying to make up for lost ground. may work here but prolly not sound on the long run.

#11 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2011-August-26, 12:55

I think the arguments expressed for 5 make sense. i would add that in my partnerships we weren't in a fp situation since 3 forced only to 3. I think this is a common approach.....when we haven't forced to game, our passes become nf at a level higher than that to which we have forced.

Here, of course, it is easy to see that partner's values are in the pointed suits, and we can't not bid 5...indeed, missing slam is possible, but I don't think we can do anything about it.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#12 User is offline   jogs 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:student of the game

Posted 2011-August-26, 13:16

View PostMrAce, on 2011-August-26, 11:28, said:

This was an interesting hand. I was 1 opener and i held (spots are irrelevant so i just made them up w/o looking original hand record)

6 from N is a perfect contract. I don't know if i could/should have bid differently as north. I seriously smelled it at the table (well BBO), just didnt have the balls with AKQJ of trumps missing in my hand.

Do u agree with my pass or would you bid 5 ? And would u bid 6 pver pd's 5 ?

If South had doubled, would you have pulled to 5?

The initial pass is standard. It's a forcing pass on partner.
22 trumps boards are unusual. Don't know if there are standard
rules dealing with them. You could have raised 5 to 6.
Certainly not absolutely clear. You do know there's only one
loser outside of hearts and partner wasn't willing to double 5.

#13 User is offline   quiddity 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-August-26, 15:40

I think I would have bid 6 but it's hard to say now that I've seen the hand. In my partnerships the limit+ cuebid creates a force at the 5-level, and if partner is making a forcing pass with ten-high in trumps he probably has the nuts.

#14 User is offline   vianu2 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:not to be taken seriously

Posted 2011-August-26, 16:43

I like the board so i want to make a comment (not necessarily expert).
I don't understand the point of playing 3cl* forcing to 3h only. I really don't understand and don't like it.
So if 3cl is forcing to game, the pass over 5cl is forcing and now if partner X , i pass and if he bids 5h i pass too.

I already bid a lot with my forcing pass, having only a,k,k and the void.
Partner could have bid more. He bids over a forcing pass and he has akqj trump. What can i have to pass forcing, when he has akqj trump ?! I would bid 6H with his hand, q spade and jx dia are a big plus.

P.s.
I have two questions.
1.I don't like the 3cl bid, having akqjxx trump and almost anything more. As a dilettante, and not playing conventions, i would bid 4H, Vulnerable against not, i find this bid much descriptive than the 3cl (3cl makes no sense for me). I have a very offensive hand with almost 0 defense. I don't see what I am looking for with the 3cl bid.
So: is that 4H so "weak" as i need to show more, with 3cl?
2.I'm curious , will you bid the slam if P-1H-2cl-3cl-P? How?

#15 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-August-27, 21:58

no reason whatsoever for pass to be forcing. it's not compulsory to concede a score ending in 90 (er....or 50 here) when the opps bid game just because you've got 20 HCP between you.

#16 User is offline   han 

• Under bidder

Posted 2011-August-29, 07:06

If 3C promised 4 hearts then I would bid 5H with the north hand. I like to be able to show 4-card support immediately.
Please note: I am interested in boring, bog standard, 2/1.

- hrothgar

#17 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner

Posted 2011-August-29, 07:42

View Posthan, on 2011-August-29, 07:06, said:

If 3C promised 4 hearts then I would bid 5H with the north hand. I like to be able to show 4-card support immediately.

+ 1 million

#18 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2011-August-29, 14:29

View Posthan, on 2011-August-29, 07:06, said:

No it did not promise 4 unfortunately

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users