• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Partner Preempts in Second Seat Sigh...

#1 User is offline   BunnyGo 

• Lamentable Bunny
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-August-31, 07:51

You know your partner has a "light" style of preempting, even in second seat. What do you bid?

Do you just bid 6? Do you try for 7, or try to stop in 5?
Bridge Personality: 44 44 43 34

Never tell the same lie twice. - Elim Garek on the real moral of "The boy who cried wolf"

#2 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-August-31, 08:41

View PostBunnyGo, on 2011-August-31, 07:51, said:

You know your partner has a "light" style of preempting, even in second seat. What do you bid?

Do you just bid 6? Do you try for 7, or try to stop in 5?

I just keycard here. The question is whether in second seat partner will open 4 off AKQxxxx and out, which is more of a style thing than anything else, if partner bids 5, I will bid 5N and partner should know I won't expect him to have a king alongside an AKQ high suit for a 4 bid, so I may well be looking for an 8th one or a Q and expect him to do something sensible. If he's got K10xxxxxx we might be in a slam missing AQx of trumps, but so be it.

#3 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-August-31, 11:20

Keycard is sensible but then I want to blast 7 after a 2 response. Pre-empts in 2nd seat are at least as likely to grab partner as opposed to the opps and should NOT be as random.

I once played with a guy notorious for his weak 2's and got him to promise that he would have a 6 card suit in 2nd chair.

A few hands in he opened 2 in 2nd on 98732 and went out the door. I said "You promised to have a 6 bagger."

He said, "I did. Clubs."
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#4 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2011-August-31, 12:10

30 years ago Jeff Rubens published his Useful Space Principle articles. One things that got discussed a lot was devising responses to preempts where there wasn´t likely to be much outside. Here, it is useful to know partner´s suit length, and afaik there isnt a way to determine this. ´

It took this long to get kickback into vogue perhaps determining suit lengths is next on the list :)
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#5 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-August-31, 12:17

Keycard looks perfect. Even if partner has king eighth and out with no ten that is a perfectly reasonable slam (AT, AQ, A, Q on). If you add the ten it's a very good slam (now you can pick up AQx on). No reason to just jump to 6, we might be off the AK of spades, and we might be cold for 7 (which partner can sometimes bid over 4N, 5N).

#6 User is offline   VM1973 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2011-August-31, 14:27

Depends on what you mean by "light style." Would he open 4 on:

109xxxxxx
x
xx
xx
for example?

#7 User is offline   wyman 

• Redoubling with gusto
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Math, Bridge, Beer. Often at the same time.

Posted 2011-August-31, 14:29

View PostVM1973, on 2011-August-31, 14:27, said:

Depends on what you mean by "light style." Would he open 4 on:

109xxxxxx
x
xx
xx
for example?

No.
"I think maybe so and so was caught cheating but maybe I don't have the names right". Sure, and I think maybe your mother .... Oh yeah, that was someone else maybe. -- kenberg

"...we live off being battle-scarred veterans who manage to hate our opponents slightly more than we hate each other.” -- Hamman, re: Wolff

#8 User is offline   BunnyGo 

• Lamentable Bunny
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-August-31, 14:31

View Postwyman, on 2011-August-31, 14:29, said:

No.

LOL

Never tell the same lie twice. - Elim Garek on the real moral of "The boy who cried wolf"

#9 User is offline   whereagles 

• Interests:Everything!

Posted 2011-August-31, 14:38

Keycard seems obvious. Even the most undisciplined pard should have something.

#10 User is offline   BunnyGo 

• Lamentable Bunny
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-August-31, 14:46

For all the people who bid keycard (I did not, for better or worse...probably worse):

partner would bid 5 showing 1. If you continue with 5, he'll deny the Queen.

#11 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2011-August-31, 15:00

View PostBunnyGo, on 2011-August-31, 14:46, said:

For all the people who bid keycard (I did not, for better or worse...probably worse):

I still go.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#12 User is offline   JLOGIC 

Posted 2011-August-31, 15:32

View PostBunnyGo, on 2011-August-31, 14:46, said:

1 keycard, I bid slam. As I said earlier 8 to the king is ok, 8 to the KT is great, and obviously 8 to the ace is great.

#13 User is offline   JLOGIC 

Posted 2011-August-31, 15:35

Also, obviously if partner has 8 spades my AK AK A will cover the rest, hence why I'm only talking about the trumps.

I am assuming partner has 8 if he has only one of the top 4 honors, for obvious reasons. I assume "light" does not mean suicidal. He might have 7-5 or something with a bad suit, but that would be unlucky. Even opposite AT9xxxx and KJxx or something, slam is good. I do not think it is unreasonable to hope for at least the ten nine if partner has 7 bad spades in 2nd seat at equal vul.

#14 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2011-August-31, 15:57

I would not think anything but asking the keycards.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#15 User is offline   BunnyGo 

• Lamentable Bunny
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-September-01, 02:54

I should have asked for keycards, I just bid 6. The names have been changed to protect the innocent.

#16 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2011-September-01, 05:15

It really depends on how light partner opens imo. Can it be a 7 card (apparently yes), can it be a 6 card, what is the minimum strength in his suit,... If you use the old rule of 1/2/3 then this is a simple raise to 7 (partner bids for -2, we have 5 tricks => 13 tricks) although you might doublecheck on keycards for safety reasons. If he opens significantly lighter, then I'd still bid to at least 6 but it doesn't hurt to ask about keycards.
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#17 User is offline   wyman 

• Redoubling with gusto
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Math, Bridge, Beer. Often at the same time.

Posted 2011-September-01, 06:22

Incidentally, if partner asks for keycards (1430) do you bid 5 or 6? You don't have 100% certainty of even 5-level safety; on the other hand, knowledge of the club void may be useful.

Also, how does void-showing usually work over 4C mod-RKC? 5D = 1+void, 5H = 2+some void? Or do we bid the void? Or ... ?
"I think maybe so and so was caught cheating but maybe I don't have the names right". Sure, and I think maybe your mother .... Oh yeah, that was someone else maybe. -- kenberg

"...we live off being battle-scarred veterans who manage to hate our opponents slightly more than we hate each other.” -- Hamman, re: Wolff

#18 User is offline   BunnyGo 

• Lamentable Bunny
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-September-01, 09:08

View Postwyman, on 2011-September-01, 06:22, said:

Incidentally, if you ask for keycards (1430) does partner bid 5 or 6? You don't have 100% certainty of even 5-level safety; on the other hand, knowledge of the club void may be useful.

Also, how does void-showing usually work over 4C mod-RKC? 5D = 1+void, 5H = 2+some void? Or do we bid the void? Or ... ?

FYP

#19 User is offline   Siegmund 

• Alchemist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Creator of the 'grbbridge' LaTeX typesetting package.

Posted 2011-September-01, 21:58

Put me down for 6S without asking. A classical partner is supposed to have a 7-trick preempt here. Opposite AKQ-7 and out I will have good chances to make 7 but it may well not be a laydown; opposite any lesser holding I won't. Eight cards AK? Awfully heavy for equal vulnerability if you're classical. If partner is described as "light even in second seat" I think we can discount that as an extremely remote possibility. Most likely is a 7-card suit missing one of the top three plus some other modest value, or a broken 8-card suit.

I'd rather have an agreement to use 4NT as some more meaningful kind of trump-quality ask than RKC here -- perhaps 'just like GSF but one level lower' is a good simple agreement - but I've never had a partner who bothered to form such an agreement.

#20 User is offline   JLOGIC 

Posted 2011-September-02, 01:17

View Postwyman, on 2011-September-01, 06:22, said:

Incidentally, if partner asks for keycards (1430) do you bid 5 or 6? You don't have 100% certainty of even 5-level safety; on the other hand, knowledge of the club void may be useful.

Def don't show the void imo, your hand is so bad and parnter will OFTEN have the CA. Even if he doesn't he probably will have the other 3 keycards, so you won't miss slam. If we have what partner needs for 7, oh well, I wouldn't worry about it.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users