• You cannot reply to this topic

Defensive Play FOURTEEN

#1 User is offline   inquiry 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2011-September-07, 20:39

CLICK NEXT BUTTON to follow the play.

Don't you just hate it when you balance back into an auction and the opponents then bid a game they didn't even sniff at originally. You avoid the knee jerk double of 4, but just barely.

You are playing standard Count and Attitude. You have the following additional info: you play negative doubles over overcalls of 1NT (partner did not do so), and 2 by partner directly over the 2 bid would have been "to play". The redouble by south was stronger than direct 3 the way the opponents bid.

Partner leads the queen of spades, you signal you like spades with the 9, declarer leads the club Queen and parnter plays the 9. Plan your defense.

--Ben--

#2 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-September-07, 22:23

Spoiler

"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#3 User is offline   BunnyGo 

• Lamentable Bunny
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-September-07, 23:11

View PostMrAce, on 2011-September-07, 22:23, said:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Bridge Personality: 44 44 43 34

Never tell the same lie twice. - Elim Garek on the real moral of "The boy who cried wolf"

#4 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2011-September-07, 23:24

View PostBunnyGo, on 2011-September-07, 23:11, said:

Spoiler

Spoiler

"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#5 User is offline   han 

• Under bidder

Posted 2011-September-08, 03:21

Ace, I absolutely hate it when partners play the 8 from 98xx. Maybe if one knew the declarer was going to play 2 more rounds and partner wouldn't have to make a decision before then, it could be right to play the 8 in order to give some kind of uber-expert signal, but I prefer to signal as clearly as possible as early as possible. If I play the 8 here, I can have 8x, 8xxx or H98 but never 98xx.
Please note: I am interested in boring, bog standard, 2/1.

- hrothgar

#6 User is offline   bd71 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2011-September-08, 04:41

Haven't read the others responses...and am not sure I've "got" this one, but here goes.

Unless South is crazy, he's got all (maybe minus one jack) of the outstanding HCP (besides partner's QJ). He can also place virtually all of the HCP he doesn't have with me and my 1NT bid. This hand probably relies on keeping dummy off lead to maximize our and tricks. If we can do that, we probably will take 1, 1, 1, and then either a / depending on South's distribution.

In , partner is either playing from J9, 9x, J98x, or 98xx...leaving declarer with Q8xx, QJ8x, Qx, or QJ. I doubt declarer would play this way from the 1st holding, so he should have one of the other three. He's likely trying to establish a transportation to dummy to finesse my H.

So I will duck the A on this and any further club trick until dummy's K is played, and I will use the K and then lower as exit cards if I do get in. Not sure exactly what I will keep if he gives me the K and then starts running , but I'm going down to stiff A before giving up my last exit.

#7 User is offline   BunnyGo 

• Lamentable Bunny
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-September-08, 04:51

View Posthan, on 2011-September-08, 03:21, said:

Ace, I absolutely hate it when partners play the 8 from 98xx. Maybe if one knew the declarer was going to play 2 more rounds and partner wouldn't have to make a decision before then, it could be right to play the 8 in order to give some kind of uber-expert signal, but I prefer to signal as clearly as possible as early as possible. If I play the 8 here, I can have 8x, 8xxx or H98 but never 98xx.

I don't understand. Why Ace? Sounds like we agree that declarer has another club.

Never tell the same lie twice. - Elim Garek on the real moral of "The boy who cried wolf"

#8 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-September-08, 06:50

Spoiler

Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#9 User is offline   wyman 

• Redoubling with gusto
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Math, Bridge, Beer. Often at the same time.

Posted 2011-September-08, 07:12

View PostBunnyGo, on 2011-September-08, 04:51, said:

I don't understand. Why Ace? Sounds like we agree that declarer has another club.

lol, he was addressing MrAce
"I think maybe so and so was caught cheating but maybe I don't have the names right". Sure, and I think maybe your mother .... Oh yeah, that was someone else maybe. -- kenberg

"...we live off being battle-scarred veterans who manage to hate our opponents slightly more than we hate each other.” -- Hamman, re: Wolff

#10 User is offline   BunnyGo 

• Lamentable Bunny
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-September-08, 07:28

View Postwyman, on 2011-September-08, 07:12, said:

lol, he was addressing MrAce

Got it. I'm calling him Timo or Mista from now on.

#11 User is offline   wyman 

• Redoubling with gusto
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-September-08, 08:04

Spoiler

"I think maybe so and so was caught cheating but maybe I don't have the names right". Sure, and I think maybe your mother .... Oh yeah, that was someone else maybe. -- kenberg

"...we live off being battle-scarred veterans who manage to hate our opponents slightly more than we hate each other.” -- Hamman, re: Wolff

#12 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2011-September-08, 15:45

View Postwyman, on 2011-September-08, 08:04, said:

So what if declarer has 7 hearts and 2 clubs? He'll score a club, 6 hearts, a spade, and a diamond (I'm not thinking about the case where he has a diamond void -- too unlikely).

He will score 7 , if you take first , a spade, a diamond, and the club.

#13 User is offline   inquiry 

• Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2011-September-08, 18:15

View Postbillw55, on 2011-September-08, 06:50, said:

Spoiler

On your line of play, is the defense over after you win the ? What do you do next? and if necessary next after that?
--Ben--

#14 User is offline   shyams 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-September-09, 06:30

This one seems easier as a problem than to actually find the correct plays at the table.

1. We duck the Q and win the second round. (Partner probably started with J8xx?)
2. Next we play K.
Partner will give count (doubleton I hope).
3. If declarer ducks this trick, I have to play Q next. This stops declarer from entering dummy.
4. This sets up the situation where I will score my K + K + partner gets a ruff and we eventually score our winner.
It does not help declarer to win the first diamond. He still has no entries to dummy and we will win, cash Q and give partner a ruff.

We need partner to be something like 4-3-2-4 which seems reasonable for the bidding and play so far.

#15 User is offline   wyman 

• Redoubling with gusto
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-September-09, 07:17

View PostMrAce, on 2011-September-08, 15:45, said:

He will score 7 , if you take first , a spade, a diamond, and the club.

I broke this down in the next 2 lines of my analysis I think... :)

#16 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-September-09, 14:22

View Postinquiry, on 2011-September-08, 18:15, said:

On your line of play, is the defense over after you win the ? What do you do next? and if necessary next after that?

Hmm, I admit I didn't think there was any further problem. I just exit with spades when in, or the K if a spade would give a ruff-sluff.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users