• You cannot reply to this topic

Cashout aginst 3NT

#1 User is offline   shevek 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:whippets<br>anarchy<br>relay

Posted 2011-August-25, 23:46

IMPs
Perhaps your partnership has signalling methods to handle this. Or is it simply a matter of judgement & analysis?
Anyway, I led 4.
After declarer played A-another, I led J for -600.
Up to you what partner plays on the first 3 tricks.

#2 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-August-26, 00:27

This one is very tough, I don't think any method will work perfectly against all possible layouts. A few things are for sure:

1) Trick 1 partner must play the spade ten
2) Partner can never play the club jack, so his options are low-hgh or high-low.

Probably the best method for this deal would be smith where partner encourages spades when he has 3 spades and no entry. This method will not help you figure out which red suit to play when a red suit play is neded though (suit preference for red suits will work much better on those layouts). SP would be great if there was a clear neutral signal partner could give to suggest no fast entry and 3 spades, but point 2 precludes that.

Some kind of method where high-low vs low-high shows spade count would obviouly also be perfect but again that gives no information about the red suits which might be important, and I don't know in what situations that signal should be turned on.

#3 User is offline   twcho 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-August-26, 00:49

the first must be showing count. So when playing standard count, north should play the 6 while playing udca, he should play the 10.

From south point of view, he should know that east has two S honors and he knows north knows this fact (south won't lead a low card if having 3 honor cards). So north 1st S card must be showing length.

#4 User is offline   marcD 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-August-26, 01:04

I must say that at the table I would have played T on the first trick; however it is unclear what this is supposed to accomplish (unless we cater for partner leading low from KQJxx)with 3 spades in dummy. Playing our lowest spade gives partner a chance to figure out the situation. Barring that my clubs would be smith and it is indeed a good thought to signal positively with the jack or 3 spades (especially when one has no entry). Very tough

#5 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-August-26, 01:19

Playing your lowest spade will not help partner, it will confuse him. He will think you have 76 doubleton. I suppose in this exact situation you can play standard count (even if you normally play udca) with the holding of T76 on the 853 board and the S4 lead, and that would be superior to playing third hand high. This doesn't seem that practical, but OP did specify any plausible agreement.

#6 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-August-26, 02:04

I would give standard count with 6, then make an encouraging Smith Peter.

Upside-down signals aren't always a good idea.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#7 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2011-August-26, 03:54

It should be possible playing Smith. Since North didn't Dbl 3 and encourages s, he must have a 3 card support.
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#8 User is offline   whereagles 

• Interests:Everything!

Posted 2011-August-26, 04:27

Regardless of whatever you think it's best and/or obvious, know that Franck Multon had once a similar problem at the 1997 Bermuda Bowl (which he later on won!) and even he couldn't figure it out.

#9 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2011-August-26, 05:11

View Postwhereagles, on 2011-August-26, 04:27, said:

Regardless of whatever you think it's best and/or obvious, know that Franck Multon had once a similar problem at the 1997 Bermuda Bowl (which he later on won!) and even he couldn't figure it out.

Times change... It's like telling a slam with trump AK was bid many years ago, while these days RKC could easily avoid this slam.
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#10 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-August-26, 06:39

Out of curiosity, what was west expecting east to rebid *without* a spade stopper?
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#11 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-August-26, 08:07

I don't understand any method that doesn't play third highest with a honnor.

As Free said and Justin suggested perhaps simple smith echo might do the trick, at least that's the best north can do.

#12 User is offline   whereagles 

Posted 2011-August-26, 08:15

A Smith echo saying "I dislike spades", I guess? How can North know his pard has 5 spades?

#13 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2011-August-26, 09:14

View PostFluffy, on 2011-August-26, 08:07, said:

I don't understand any method that doesn't play third highest with a honnor.

The reason to play high is to promote a trick in partner's hand. If your spades were 742, you'd know that there was no chance that the 7 would promote a trick in partner's hand, so you'd give count, wouldn't you?

With this bidding, and this holding in dummy, there is also no chance that the 10 will promote a trick in partner's hand. Therefore the two situations are equivalent and you should give count with this holding too.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#14 User is offline   whereagles 

Posted 2011-August-26, 10:06

View Postgnasher, on 2011-August-26, 09:14, said:

With this bidding, and this holding in dummy, there is also no chance that the 10 will promote a trick in partner's hand. Therefore the two situations are equivalent and you should give count with this holding too.

Let's be careful here... if you play low to give count you might let declarer win the 9 from AQ9 :)

#15 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2011-August-26, 10:20

I think that N should give count for the reasons Andy set forth and then N should use smith (or as I prefer, reverse smith) so that partner will know the original count was not from a stiff....which was definitely possible on the auction. Of course, the odds are that I will already have indicated that I have more than 1 because it took me some time to figure out not to play the 10 B-)
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#16 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2011-August-26, 10:52

View Postwhereagles, on 2011-August-26, 10:06, said:

Let's be careful here... if you play low to give count you might let declarer win the 9 from AQ9 :)

Only when partner overcalled on KJxx, and I'm willing to take that risk, since I don't plan to play with him again....unless he is paying a LOT of money.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#17 User is offline   VM1973 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-August-26, 11:22

I basically agree with gnasher. North knows what's going on since he knows A) South didn't overcall 1NT on a 4-bagger and B) He didn't underlead 3 honors. So the closed hand is marked with 2 honors. It shouldn't be the AJ because South should have led K from KQ9xx so it must be either KJ or QJ.

When North plays the 6 and the closed hand wins with the J the hand becomes clear. North is marked with the 7 and surely he wouldn't have played low from 76 so he must have 3 and South will know to cash the A.

#18 User is offline   whereagles 

Posted 2011-August-26, 11:47

View Postmikeh, on 2011-August-26, 10:52, said:

I don't plan to play with him again....unless he is paying a LOT of money.

ahah, who would want to hire you? lol

#19 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2011-August-26, 12:37

View PostVM1973, on 2011-August-26, 11:22, said:

When North plays the 6 and the closed hand wins with the J the hand becomes clear. North is marked with the 7

I wouldn't rely on that. Declarer might win the jack from KJ107 to encourage a spade continuation - eg if he had KJ107 AQx xx Q8xx.

#20 User is offline   VM1973 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-August-26, 13:59

View Postgnasher, on 2011-August-26, 12:37, said:

I wouldn't rely on that. Declarer might win the jack from KJ107 to encourage a spade continuation - eg if he had KJ107 AQx xx Q8xx.

It's funny how I agree with you and then you disagree with me.

Of course, signaling low might not work either as it might seem to be low, but just be a singleton.

On the other hand, at IMPs, the defense will take whatever risks are necessary to set the contract. At matchpoints it might make a difference because they will worry that extra overtricks will mean a zero.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users