Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3NT in Pairs

#1 User is offline   mangosteen 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2011-October-13, 08:55

Pairs. Small diamond lead. What is the best way to tackle the clubs?

On the table, small was played to the Q with E showing out. How should the play go now?

#2 User is offline   han 

• Under bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-October-13, 10:28

You put north as declarer and didn't tell us which diamond was led and what their carding is. The latter makes it hard to answer the second question, and the former just makes it hard in general.

Playing a club towards the king may be right if the lead seems from length, but wrong if the lead is fourth. We shouldn't worry about who wins the club, we're going to lose to the ace anyway and we can't influence this. Playing towards the king at least let's us pick up the suit for 2 losers on all layouts.
Please note: I am interested in boring, bog standard, 2/1.

- hrothgar

#3 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-October-13, 11:08

Low to the 8 protects against 4-0 break and also protects the AT to some extent. Not sure if that makes it right or not.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#4 User is offline   mangosteen 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2011-October-13, 13:11

I do sincerely apologize. The diamond led was the 4, won by the ace. And small club was played, and I probably should have rotated the hands, and I apologize to not have done so. However, I wonder if small to the Q was correct for 4 tricks, and after discovering the bad break. What would be the best line of play from then on?

#5 User is offline   CSGibson 

• Tubthumper
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, pool, financial crime. New experiences, new people.

Posted 2011-October-13, 14:24

The best play in isolation is small to the K initially in the club suit. Assuming you are going to play to a high honor on the first round (best for 3 tricks), you will win 3 tricks when you have the stiff A in front of the honor you led to, when you have Axx opposite J, and when the suit splits 2-2. You can never pick up the suit for 4 tricks when it splits 4-0 because of the spots you are missing, but you can pick it up for 3 tricks either way by playing to the K on the first round, whereas by playing to the Q on the first round you can only play the suit for 2 tricks absent an endplay..

I haven't looked at the whole hand for entry management or other considerations as of yet.
Chris Gibson

#6 User is offline   wyman 

• Redoubling with gusto
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Math, Bridge, Beer. Often at the same time.

Posted 2011-October-13, 14:27

View PostCSGibson, on 2011-October-13, 14:24, said:

The best play in isolation is small to the K initially in the club suit. Assuming you are going to play to a high honor on the first round (best for 3 tricks), you will win 3 tricks when you have the stiff A in front of the honor you led to, when you have Axx opposite J, and when the suit splits 2-2. You can never pick up the suit for 4 tricks when it splits 4-0 because of the spots you are missing, but you can pick it up for 3 tricks either way by playing to the K on the first round, whereas by playing to the Q on the first round you can only play the suit for 2 tricks absent an endplay..

I haven't looked at the whole hand for entry management or other considerations as of yet.

Not only this, but since this is pairs, if you're gonna play a club to the K, you can win a high diamond in dummy concealing, to RHO, the location of the DA. Now if the club ace is on your right, RHO will consider a diamond return, which gives you another tempo.
"I think maybe so and so was caught cheating but maybe I don't have the names right". Sure, and I think maybe your mother .... Oh yeah, that was someone else maybe. -- kenberg

"...we live off being battle-scarred veterans who manage to hate our opponents slightly more than we hate each other.” -- Hamman, re: Wolff

#7 User is offline   BunnyGo 

• Lamentable Bunny
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-October-13, 14:41

View Postwyman, on 2011-October-13, 14:27, said:

Not only this, but since this is pairs, if you're gonna play a club to the K, you can win a high diamond in dummy concealing, to RHO, the location of the DA. Now if the club ace is on your right, RHO will consider a diamond return, which gives you another tempo.

You may have grunched han's post and been fooled by the display, but the defense knows where the A of diamonds is since South is dummy.
Bridge Personality: 44 44 43 34

Never tell the same lie twice. - Elim Garek on the real moral of "The boy who cried wolf"

#8 User is offline   wyman 

• Redoubling with gusto
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Math, Bridge, Beer. Often at the same time.

Posted 2011-October-13, 14:52

View PostBunnyGo, on 2011-October-13, 14:41, said:

You may have grunched han's post and been fooled by the display, but the defense knows where the A of diamonds is since South is dummy.

Blah. Then I would probably, for similar reasons, play low and win the Q of diamonds. Then play a low club toward the K.
"I think maybe so and so was caught cheating but maybe I don't have the names right". Sure, and I think maybe your mother .... Oh yeah, that was someone else maybe. -- kenberg

"...we live off being battle-scarred veterans who manage to hate our opponents slightly more than we hate each other.” -- Hamman, re: Wolff

#9 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-October-13, 21:21

Definitely worth noting that if they led from a 4 card diamond suit it is super clear to play a club to the queen, and then a club to the ten later.

edit: Sorry, I'm a retard thought it was 1N-3N, it is not "super clear" on this auction.

#10 User is offline   JLOGIC 

Posted 2011-October-13, 21:27

View PostCSGibson, on 2011-October-13, 14:24, said:

Technically true, but only correct if you can never soul-read the club position on the second round. Perhaps you will get some additional information about the hand/a read on them and figure out to hook the club ten later, so I would say the normal play in the suit is a club to the queen without any additional clues.

And on this hand, you want the opening leader to be in since he will have a harder time finding a killing heart shift, and he is a safer hand since he can't lead through th HT.

Of course if diamonds are known to be 5-3 that trumps all other considerations on this hand easily.

#11 User is offline   han 

• Under bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-October-14, 03:19

View PostJLOGIC, on 2011-October-13, 21:27, said:

And on this hand, you want the opening leader to be in since he will have a harder time finding a killing heart shift, and he is a safer hand since he can't lead through th HT.

I understand that you want opening leader to win the club, but I don't see how you can do anything about it. Aren't you going to lose the club trick to the person with the ace on any reasonable play of the clubs?
Please note: I am interested in boring, bog standard, 2/1.

- hrothgar

#12 User is offline   JLOGIC 

Posted 2011-October-14, 03:53

View Posthan, on 2011-October-14, 03:19, said:

I understand that you want opening leader to win the club, but I don't see how you can do anything about it. Aren't you going to lose the club trick to the person with the ace on any reasonable play of the clubs?

Let me clarify:

I do not want to lead into stiff ace of clubs, and get a killing heart shift, so I'd rather lead a club to the queen risking stiff ace with the opening leader because then he will be on lead and less likely to find the heart shift. The worst scenario would be to lead a club to the king, losing to stiff ace, and then getting a heart shift through me.

But like I said, if diamonds are 5-3 then this is all moot.

#13 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-October-14, 06:27

View Postbillw55, on 2011-October-13, 11:08, said:

Low to the 8 protects against 4-0 break and also protects the AT to some extent. Not sure if that makes it right or not.

Not meaning to bump myself, but I am interested to get a response to this since nobody else seems to be considering it at all. Low to the 8 seems to guarantee three club tricks and nine total (assuming LHO plays the 7; if not, cover his card obv). Is this wrong because it gives up the chance for ten tricks?
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#14 User is offline   JLOGIC 

Posted 2011-October-14, 06:29

View Postbillw55, on 2011-October-14, 06:27, said:

Not meaning to bump myself, but I am interested to get a response to this since nobody else seems to be considering it at all. Low to the 8 seems to guarantee three club tricks and nine total. Is this wrong because it gives up the chance for ten tricks?

It hardly guarantees 9 tricks if they are able to take 2 clubs and 3 hearts. On top of that it is a pair game, so giving up overtricks on "safety" plays is not a good idea.

#15 User is offline   dake50 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-October-14, 07:04

Let D4(?) run to DQ. Now low to CK.
Will West guess knock out DA when his CA>CK?
Or will he sense D4 denies D:Kxxxx? So H-switch?
Or does West have H:KQJxx then H:10 is a 2nd stop?

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users