• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

new metal

#1 User is offline   luke warm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, poker, politics

Posted 2011-November-18, 16:49

just imagine all the changes this will result in... true, it isn't exactly a new metal, just a new way of utilizing it
"Paul Krugman is a stupid person's idea of what a smart person sounds like." Newt Gingrich (paraphrased)

#2 User is offline   S2000magic 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:magic, horseback riding, hiking, camping, F1 racing, bridge, mathematics, finance, teaching

Posted 2011-November-18, 17:33

I do wish that authors of scientific articles such as this - who should know better - would refrain from using phrases like "1,000 times thinner than a human hair" when they mean "1/1,000 as thick as a human hair". If it were 1,000 times thinner, it would be -999 times as thin. That's probably thinner than the author imagined.

Apart from that, the stuff looks really interesting. I saw another article on it through a link on a magicians' forum.
BCIII

"If you're driving [the Honda S2000] with the top up, the storm outside had better have a name."

Simplify the complicated side; don't complify the simplicated side.

#3 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2011-November-18, 21:27

What's your logic for saying "1,000 times thinner" literally means "-999 times as thin"? Do you really think anyone could possibly misinterpret that description in the way you imagine? I can't even figure out what "-999 times as thin" means -- there's no such thing as negative thickness or thinness.

Has anyone ever used the expression "N times thinner" in any way other than to mean "1/N times as thick"? That's simply what the phrase means.

#4 User is offline   S2000magic 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:magic, horseback riding, hiking, camping, F1 racing, bridge, mathematics, finance, teaching

Posted 2011-November-18, 23:48

barmar, on 2011-November-18, 21:27, said:

What's your logic for saying "1,000 times thinner" literally means "-999 times as thin"? Do you really think anyone could possibly misinterpret that description in the way you imagine? I can't even figure out what "-999 times as thin" means -- there's no such thing as negative thickness or thinness.

Has anyone ever used the expression "N times thinner" in any way other than to mean "1/N times as thick"? That's simply what the phrase means.

So, if they'd said it's 50% thinner, would that mean that it's twice as thick (1 / 50% = 2)?

If not, then you're saying that "twice as thin" means the same thing as "50% thinner". I'm sorry, but that makes no sense.

You're correct: there's no such thing as negative thickness. That was precisely my point.
BCIII

"If you're driving [the Honda S2000] with the top up, the storm outside had better have a name."

#5 User is offline   BunnyGo 

• Lamentable Bunny
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-November-19, 02:03

S2000magic, on 2011-November-18, 17:33, said:

I do wish that authors of scientific articles such as this - who should know better - would refrain from using phrases like "1,000 times thinner than a human hair" when they mean "1/1,000 as thick as a human hair". If it were 1,000 times thinner, it would be -999 times as thin. That's probably thinner than the author imagined.

Apart from that, the stuff looks really interesting. I saw another article on it through a link on a magicians' forum.

That was a quote from the lead author of the paper. While I agree with you, it is still the normal colloquial usage.
Bridge Personality: 44 44 43 34

Never tell the same lie twice. - Elim Garek on the real moral of "The boy who cried wolf"

#6 User is offline   BunnyGo 

• Lamentable Bunny
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-November-19, 02:04

luke warm, on 2011-November-18, 16:49, said:

just imagine all the changes this will result in... true, it isn't exactly a new metal, just a new way of utilizing it

Cool! Maybe a space elevator can be made from these?
Bridge Personality: 44 44 43 34

Never tell the same lie twice. - Elim Garek on the real moral of "The boy who cried wolf"

#7 User is offline   Mbodell 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-November-19, 04:34

S2000magic, on 2011-November-18, 23:48, said:

If not, then you're saying that "twice as thin" means the same thing as "50% thinner". I'm sorry, but that makes no sense.

It does too make sense. The % changes the meaning significantly. His income is twice mine! His income is 100% more than mine! His income is 200% mine! All of those mean the same thing. A cm is 100 times smaller than 1 m. A cm is 1% of 1 m. It works with smaller too.

This construction was good enough for Isaac Newton and Robert Boyle and Jonathan Swift and this researcher and his peer reviewers/editors. Therefore I think it is good enough for me and barmar and most other English speakers (See Eugene Volokh for more discussion of the issue).

#8 User is offline   S2000magic 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-November-19, 09:18

Mbodell, on 2011-November-19, 04:34, said:

It does too make sense. The % changes the meaning significantly. His income is twice mine! His income is 200% mine! All of those mean the same thing.

Yes, your examples make sense, because 200% = twice.

Fifty percent smaller shouldn't mean the same thing as 2 times smaller because 50% ≠ 2 times.

It isn't the % sign that's changing the meaning; it's the meaning of the numbers that's changing the meaning.

BCIII

#9 User is offline   Gerben42 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Astronomy, Mathematics
    Nuclear power

Posted 2011-November-19, 09:36

Hmm it's a bit like micromail :) Dwarfs would love this!

Cool! Maybe a space elevator can be made from these?

Not really, for that you need material with large tensile strength. Nanotubes would work though :)
Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do!
My Bridge Systems Page

BC Kultcamp Rieneck

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users