• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Bad description? Several questions about a bidding sequence

#1 User is offline   chasetb 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2011-December-01, 18:37

http://tinyurl.com/84xvmql

I know my bidding isn't the best (especially passing 4, but I had hope basic GIB might finally be able to penalty double). I average over +1 IMP/board against the robots anyways. B-) The questions are about the 3 bid - shouldn't I promise at least 5 on this sequence? What would 2NT or 3 have meant instead of 3, let alone 3? Thanks for the helpful input.
"It's not enough to win the tricks that belong to you. Try also for some that belong to the opponents."

"Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make them all yourself."

"One advantage of bad bidding is that you get practice at playing atrocious contracts."

-Alfred Sheinwold

#2 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2011-December-05, 19:37

No, GIB doesn't think the 3 bid shows 5-5. It will bid it if it has extra values, but doesn't have both of the other suits stopped (don't forget that the 2 bid only showed 3, so North will take preference to with 2 and 4). For instance, it will bid like this with AK843 432 KQJ7 A.

North's 4 bid is because it has enough for game opposite the 17 points you showed, and there's still a possibility of an 8-card fit (perhaps you have the above hand); so it bids its suit to show 5 of them, and jumps to show that we belong in game. It's already denied a 6-card suit because it didn't bid it earlier.

If you don't have tolerance, you're supposed to go back to your known 7-card fit.

If GIB were in the South seat, it would have bid 1 1 2. I personally would probably bid 1 1 2; I think GIB used to have a rule that allowed this with this hand, but it was removed. The comment says "partner tends to screw up after you do it, and I've removed the rule (which is a big win)" -- I don't know who wrote that.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users