Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

ATB missing a decent slam

#1 User is offline   lmilne 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-March-08, 07:31

I chose to open the South hand 1 (thoughts?). The 1 rebid showed an unbalanced hand (this shape counts).
If partner had bid 3 over 1, this would be natural and forcing to game.
4 over 4 would likely be some sort of last train, but can't be too sure.

What is your preferred auction to get there playing a fairly simple natural system, preferably starting 1-1-1?

#2 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2012-March-08, 07:46

Obviously, the problem seems to be that Responder expected a likely stiff in clubs for the unbalanced hand rather than A-Q tight, which radically affects the decision.
The auction ends up much better after a 1NT opening.
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#3 User is offline   lmilne 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-March-08, 07:54

Ken, I showed a club stopper over partner's artificial 2 bid. I don't think he was playing me for a club singleton.

#4 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-08, 08:00

I think North should make a bit more of an effort. A "perfect minimum" A AK Q gives you the slam - and partner's shown more than a minimum raise to 4H. So a cuebid over 4C is probably the way to get started.

Sounds like South showed his hand accurately, so I'm gonna give all the blame to North.

ahydra

#5 User is offline   TWO4BRIDGE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-08, 08:47

There are 2 ways for North to bid 3H.
He chose the stronger way by going thru 4th Suit GF . ( The 3H-jump over 3S would not be a GF ( IMO ) -- why would you need 2 ways to show a GF in ? )

Anyway, I think South could just bid 5H! ( over 3H ) asking about trump quality.
( Or he could bid 5H over 4H in the given auction ).
Don Stenmark
TWOferBRIDGE
"imo by far in bridge the least understood concept is how to bid over a jump-shift
( 1M-1NT!-3m-?? )." ....Justin Lall

" Did someone mention relays? " .... Zelandakh

K-Rex to Mikeh : " Sometimes you drive me nuts " .

#6 User is online   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-08, 09:06

I think you underbid twice (slightly), you should open this one 1NT afer you didn´t even want to jump over 2, you cannot just pass 4 with a hand full of aces.

#7 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-08, 10:08

Why do you play 4 as "nothing about clubs"? When you have two cue-bids available, you don't have to do anything clever - you can just play them as cue-bids.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#8 User is offline   CSGibson 

• Tubthumper
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, pool, financial crime. New experiences, new people.

Posted 2012-March-08, 10:53

S. It's an easy slam to get to after opening 1N, assuming any kind of systemic follow-up where N can show a spade singleton with 6+ hearts. Also, with all of those controls I think S is worth one more try - 4S comes to mind, as I really want partner to be the one to ask for keycards if that's where this is going.
Chris Gibson

#9 User is offline   lalldonn 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-08, 11:21

Sorry I think not opening 1NT is a really poor choice. I wouldn't even have expected this one to be controversial.

Certainly as it went, north is worth 4D at least over 4C.
"What's the big rebid problem? After 1♦ - 1♠, I can rebid 1NT, 2♠, or 2♦."
- billw55

#10 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-08, 11:53

north knows his clubs are opposite 2 with an honour - ideal - and he's got the AKQ of trumps. looks like a pretty good hand to me.

as for south he's got no rebid problems and 3 bangers so why the rush from the other posters to get the NTs in?

#11 User is offline   nigel_k 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-08, 12:39

I agree with the auction up to 3. After that, I think anything except 3NT should show heart support so would cue bid 3 with South. In any case I would bid on after 4 as South on the given auction. I can't see how North can do more, even if his hand was a bit better.

#12 User is offline   CSGibson 

• Tubthumper
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-08, 14:02

View Postwank, on 2012-March-08, 11:53, said:

north knows his clubs are opposite 2 with an honour - ideal - and he's got the AKQ of trumps. looks like a pretty good hand to me.

as for south he's got no rebid problems and 3 bangers so why the rush from the other posters to get the NTs in?

I have a 15-17 hand with no shortness, no 5 card major, and no 6 card minor. You say there's no rebid problem, but I see a hand that has to guess what to do over a 1N response (unhappily passing being obvious, but don't I hate it...), or any number of possible scenerios where they interfere. On the other hand, if I open 1N, I have a tight definition of the offensive & defensive potential of the hand on the table as quickly as possible, setting my partner up to be able to make good decisions later, either in a competitive auction or in a non-competitive auction like the one actually perpetrated.

Even though its semi-balanced with no rebid problem over 1H, the only reason I wouldn't open 1N, getting the offensive and defensive potential of the hand off my chest as quickly as possible, would be when all my HCP were concentrated in my long suits, or that I had the strength to reverse. Here about half are in my short suits, and the thought of reversing makes me queasy.
Chris Gibson

#13 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-08, 14:12

well i would be perfectly happy putting dummy down if p bids 1NT - his suit's most likely clubs and on a heart lead he might find his only outside entry being knocked out at t1.

on the other hand if the bidding doesn't go like that, I'm much better placed after starting with my longest suit - this hand is very suit-orientated.

#14 User is offline   CSGibson 

• Tubthumper
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-08, 14:33

View Postwank, on 2012-March-08, 14:12, said:

well i would be perfectly happy putting dummy down if p bids 1NT - his suit's most likely clubs and on a heart lead he might find his only outside entry being knocked out at t1.

on the other hand if the bidding doesn't go like that, I'm much better placed after starting with my longest suit - this hand is very suit-orientated.

I would agree, except that on this hand OP obviously wasn't better placed. Maybe you would have been, but I don't really believe it, despite my respect for your demonstrated skill. The subset of hands which would open 1 and rebid 1 has much more variance than those that would have opened 1N, especially if you include these types of semi-balanced hands.

Yes, aces are good for suit play. It turns out that they are good for NT too. And defense. On the other hand, half of your HCP are in short suits, including all of your minor honors - which is good for NT.
Chris Gibson

#15 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2012-March-08, 14:34

View Postlmilne, on 2012-March-08, 07:54, said:

Ken, I showed a club stopper over partner's artificial 2 bid. I don't think he was playing me for a club singleton.

Stoppers are for losers. But, if your 2NT promises a club stopper, then I suppose you might have a point. Still, I doubt that 2NT promises AK or AQ.

If, however, 2NT followed by a cue acceptance of clubs promises a fitting 2452 hand that is appropriate for a 1NT opening, then you have described your hand remarkably well. In that case, 4 as LTTC seems almost obvious.
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#16 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-09, 00:39

View PostCSGibson, on 2012-March-08, 14:33, said:

despite my respect for your demonstrated skill.

curious. i wasn't aware i had ever demonstrated enough skill (if i possess such skill in the first place) to climb above the bbo forum rank of Random Poster.

#17 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-09, 02:37

View Postwank, on 2012-March-09, 00:39, said:

curious. i wasn't aware i had ever demonstrated enough skill (if i possess such skill in the first place) to climb above the bbo forum rank of Random Poster.

http://www.bridgebas...post__p__618475
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#18 User is offline   benlessard 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:All games. i really mean all of them.

Posted 2012-March-09, 04:41

In the french system in GF situation when you have stoppers and the choice between 2Nt/3NT, 2NT is minimum or 18-19 and 3NT is 15-17. Why did south didnt bid 3S rather than 4C ? Frivolous ?
From Psych "I mean, Gus and I never see eye-to-eye on work stuff.
For instance, he doesn't like being used as a human shield when we're being shot at.
I happen to think it's a very noble way to meet one's maker, especially for a guy like him.
Bottom line is we never let that difference of opinion interfere with anything."

#19 User is offline   TWO4BRIDGE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-09, 08:12

View Postkenrexford, on 2012-March-08, 07:46, said:

The auction ends up much better after a 1NT opening.

A number of folks here advocate the 1NT opening ( including J-J ).
Does it really end up better ? ( like reaching slam ? ) .

1NT - 2D!
2H - 3C
3NT

Edit: The following is better:
1NT - 2D!
2H - 3S! ( self-splinter showing good 6 card )
??
... OK, this one will get you there.

This post has been edited by TWO4BRIDGE: 2012-March-09, 08:15

Don Stenmark
TWOferBRIDGE
"imo by far in bridge the least understood concept is how to bid over a jump-shift
( 1M-1NT!-3m-?? )." ....Justin Lall

" Did someone mention relays? " .... Zelandakh

K-Rex to Mikeh : " Sometimes you drive me nuts " .

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users