• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

why you lose at bridge

#1 User is offline   bftboy 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-March-13, 20:54

I read Simon's famous book years ago and was reminded of the title when a couple of poorly judged actions cost us first place in the local duplicate. What action did I take that was wrong, but more importantly, why was it wrong? go ahead, beat me up.

#2 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-March-13, 20:57

I will try pass.

great book, after this hand I better reread it.

#3 User is offline   Quartic 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Walking, Climbing, Mathematics, Programming, Linux, Reading, Bridge.

Posted 2012-March-13, 22:42

I pass too - hopefully partner will double again and I can pass for penalties. If he passes I think we probably haven't missed game, so I'll content myself with defeating their partscore. Otherwise, we will probably play 4 or 3NT.

#4 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-13, 22:48

i'm guessing you were unable to restrain yourself and doubled (showing extra values) so partner who was about to make a reopening double took it out, unsurprisingly.

#5 User is offline   BunnyGo 

• Lamentable Bunny
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-14, 00:57

I'd pass, but I'm guessing you bid 3NT.
Bridge Personality: 44 44 43 34

Never tell the same lie twice. - Elim Garek on the real moral of "The boy who cried wolf"

#6 User is offline   awm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-14, 01:06

My guess is that you doubled (because you were sure 3 was going down) but your agreement was "responsive" and partner removed it for a poor result.
Adam W. Meyerson
a.k.a. Appeal Without Merit

#7 User is offline   HighLow21 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-14, 02:09

Everything depends on system here. If you play responsive doubles you cannot double here. If you don't, you will miss a lot of fits. Either way, I'm hoping you stuck to your agreements and am guessing by the tone of the OP that you didn't.

Anyway, I like Mike Lawrence's treatments of competitive auctions, which are generally more natural than most modern bidding systems. I want to be able to double for blood in this spot. In particular, even both non-vul, 3X is going to be worth more than anything our side can make (unless 3NT happens to make in spite of rounded-suit voids facing each other, which I find highly improbable).

In specific reference to Simon's classic, I'm guessing you did bid 3NT and went down. I can even think of the example hand from that book that is similar to this one. The hand in question involves a void in partner's opening suit (spades) and the auction goes 1-3NT. He makes the argument that, essentially, "There is no reason why 3NT should make and there is equally no reason why 6 shouldn't. For you need more than just stoppers in each suit to make 3NT; you also need a source of tricks."
There is a big difference between a good decision and a good result. Let's keep our posts about good decisions rather than "gotcha" results!

#8 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-14, 03:18

Everything depends on system here.

NO you miss the entire message of the book...

You dont lose based on your system.

#9 User is offline   Codo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:games and sports, esp. bridge,chess and (beach-)volleyball

Posted 2012-March-14, 03:31

To answer the question: You passed, knowing that your double would have been responsive. You waited for partner to double again and to earn sticks and drums. You are still waiting and your partner yelled at you that you passed with the most obvious penalty double ever.
Kind Regards

Roland

Sanity Check: Failure (Fluffy)
More system is not the answer...

#10 User is offline   the hog 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2012-March-14, 04:18

You doubled and it made. You are sitting under the AQT of H and the opp made another trick in hand by an elopement.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#11 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-14, 04:20

I would pass, since X would show something like 15+ HCP with a takeout-ish shape of hearts (perhaps a strong NT with no stop in hearts, since I play a weak NT). I think it'll be fine, because I only have 11 points. This leaves partner with something so he might well reopen.

But... since he must be void in hearts and have at most 2 spades (assuming 5cM), it sounds like partner has 6-5 in the minors :/ so I doubt a penalty X of hearts is the first thing on his mind? If this is the case with your partner, you might double anyway, hoping partner leaves it in holding a couple of aces or something - no other way are we getting to 3HX.

ahydra

#12 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2012-March-14, 06:28

I know the popular trend is that all doubles in competitive situations are for takeout.

Horse hockey.

Double here is for penalty. Partner already doubled for takeout over 2. You are not guaranteed a fit, so double here is not invitational in spades. Double here is for blood. Make them pay.

#13 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-14, 06:33

View PostArtK78, on 2012-March-14, 06:28, said:

Double here is for blood. Make them pay.

A quote after my own heart :)

I love wielding the axe and am often frustrated by partners who insist on every conventional double in the book and/or who stubbornly pull all my doubles.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#14 User is offline   P_Marlowe 

Posted 2012-March-14, 06:42

X.

I have a penalty X, I can make the penalty X, I make the penalty X.

With kind regards
Marlowe
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)

#15 User is offline   Wackojack 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I have discovered that the water cooler is a chrono-synclastic infundibulum

Posted 2012-March-14, 07:14

Holding the South hand:

Mr Smug would double loudly but his partner the Unlucky Expert "knowing" that this is a responsive double would take out into 4. Mr Smug going purple would bid 4NT to play. Where they end up I am not sure.

Mrs Guggenheim would stare at her hand not knowing what to do and eventually pass. If her partner was the Unlucky Expert he would want to make a take-out double but feel obliged to pass.

Futile Willy would bid 3NT and if his partner was Mr Smug, he would bid 5. If his partner was Mrs Guggenheim she would pass and Willy would misplay and go off 3.

Going to another book: Hideous Hog partnering Rueful Rabbit would bid 3NT and make with an end play after the Greek and Armenian misdefend not believing Hog would make such a bad bid.
May 2003: Mission accomplished
Oct 2006: Mission impossible
Soon: Mission illegal

#16 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-14, 11:05

Rueful Rabbit, having played a bunch of duplicate recently on holiday, remembers somewhere that double here would be takeout, and passes waiting for partner's reopening double. He's still waiting, but he is "sitting under the AQT and declarer made another trick in hand by an elopement." HH then proceeds to make two "routine" game contracts, and not only kills the partscore, but takes 700 rather than 500 from the rubber.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#17 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2012-March-14, 11:44

View Postthe hog, on 2012-March-14, 04:18, said:

You doubled and it made. You are sitting under the AQT of H and the opp made another trick in hand by an elopement.

Even the real Hog cannot get to dummy enough to pull this off.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#18 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2012-March-14, 13:16

I would pass and hope for partner to make another Dbl.
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#19 User is offline   nigel_k 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-14, 13:21

Playing double as penalty so that you can easily handle this hand, on this auction, seems closer to Futile Willy than any of the other characters.

#20 User is offline   bftboy 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-14, 20:36

As many supposed, we were playing penalty doubles here and that is the action I took. It was "right" in the sense that P finally sat for it, and we beat 3 one trick, +100. The action was wrong, however, because I could not be certain that 3 would fail, or that we did not have a higher scoring contract. P must be 6-5 in the minors on this bidding. He`was and we make 4 and a couple made 5 with defensive help. We made one mp out of 12. While it's very unlikely P will reopen with a dbl, I should have allowed him to bid his hand.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users