BBO Discussion Forums: I see we have a new forum - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1

I see we have a new forum First post, woohoo.

#1 User is offline   Cthulhu D 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Overbidding

Posted 2012-March-16, 10:20

I couldn't resist.

I admire the responsive management though.

#2 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-16, 10:28

So the B/I is now the I/A. Well, at least I know I belong in that forum now, but the problem of not knowing whether you're an I or an A has now changed to "am I a B or an I" or "am I an A or an E". Perhaps we could have some sample questions to help people judge?

I'll make some suggestions.

Novice: What is a ruffing finesse? When might one take a ruffing finesse?
Beginner: Best SAYC bidding sequence for <easy-enough slam hand>?
Intermediate: Opps open 4S and you have <some hand where it's close whether to bid or not> - what to do now?
Advanced: In this slam I had the option of playing for the finesse or the double squeeze, which line is better?
Expert: Discuss your favourite gadgets to help with <rare bidding situation>

That said, I'm very much in favour of the new forum setup.

ahydra

#3 User is offline   HighLow21 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-March-16, 10:33

Hello world! I love this.
There is a big difference between a good decision and a good result. Let's keep our posts about good decisions rather than "gotcha" results!

#4 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2012-March-16, 10:39

View Postahydra, on 2012-March-16, 10:28, said:

So the B/I is now the I/A. Well, at least I know I belong in that forum now, but the problem of not knowing whether you're an I or an A has now changed to "am I a B or an I" or "am I an A or an E". Perhaps we could have some sample questions to help people judge?

I'll make some suggestions.

Novice: What is a ruffing finesse? When might one take a ruffing finesse?
Beginner: Best SAYC bidding sequence for <easy-enough slam hand>?
Intermediate: Opps open 4S and you have <some hand where it's close whether to bid or not> - what to do now?
Advanced: In this slam I had the option of playing for the finesse or the double squeeze, which line is better?
Expert: Discuss your favourite gadgets to help with <rare bidding situation>

That said, I'm very much in favour of the new forum setup.

ahydra

I have a better idea:

Novice: That was fun!

Beginner: What did I do wrong?

Intermediate: I think I could have...

Advanced: (preemptively) Partner, why did you bid...

Expert: Clearly, the mathematics would suggest Line A. However, reasoning that LHO must have considered the fact that I might take Line A, should have made a classic falsecard to dissuade that line, playing such-anbd-such card, smoothly. Of course, knwoig that I would read this, I felt that he would play as if Lina A works and would NOT do the falsecard, as a reverse falsecard. Hence, because everything played suggested that Lina A would work, it clearly could not. So, I went with the anti-percentage Line B, which contextually is clearly superior. What I did not expect is that LHO was probably a dolt and did not realize that the counter to this reasoning is that he must reverse-falsecard when Line A works. I doubt highly that LHO had worked out the idea of a double reverse falsecard, but, if he did, then hats off for the nice double falsecard. But, more importantly (preemptively), Partner, you should have bid...
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#5 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2012-March-16, 10:43

Ok, you lurkers! I'd like to encourage the many lurkers who (we think) have been afraid to post lest their questions be seen as too trivial or too basic. This is your forum, and I think I speak for all of the A/E posters who have previously posted in B/I when I say that helping and encouraging newcomers to the game is very rewarding....and the more people we can get playing this great game, the better for everyone.

There are no silly questions, and we'll try to avoid silly answers :D
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#6 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2012-March-16, 10:48

Time to hear from the oceans of forum lurkers.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#7 User is offline   JustaDummy 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Too many. Really.

Posted 2012-March-16, 12:03

I'm delighted by this. Thank you, Admins! I'm assuming that it will take some time for members to realise that this forum is now available.

Would a quick notification be out of order? If two-thirds of all members never post in any forum, maybe a quick email might help. Well, maybe not quick, given the size of the task… :blink:
A Seagull Consultant is an expert who flies in, eats all your food, craps all over you, and flies out again.

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users