BBO Discussion Forums: DWTS Season 14 - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

DWTS Season 14

Poll: DWTS Season 14 (4 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win Season 14?

1. Maria & Derek (1 votes [25.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

2. Jack & Anna (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. Donald & Peta (0 votes [0.00%])

4. Gavin & Karina (0 votes [0.00%])

5. Roshon & Chelsie (0 votes [0.00%])

6. Sherri & Val (0 votes [0.00%])

7. Melissa & Maks (0 votes [0.00%])

8. William & Cheryl (0 votes [0.00%])

9. Martina & Tony (2 votes [50.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

10. Katherine & Mark (1 votes [25.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

11. Gladys & Tristan (0 votes [0.00%])

12. Jaleel & Kym (0 votes [0.00%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2012-March-23, 14:44

Recently on BBF, I was encoraged to share my views on DWTS with fellow bridge players. Here goes.

First of all, I agree that the standard of competition is quite high this season. On previous seasons, there has always been at least one person who obviously deserved to be tossed on week 1. (The voting public did not always do as was indicated.) This season, I can't see anyone who obviously deserves to go at this point. Well, except Carrie Ann Inaba, who has been getting more annoying from season to season and whose "comments" can not by any stretch of the imagination be called "judging".

Nevertheless, I think the judge's scores are getting more and more silly as the seasons pass by. Carrie Ann and Bruno gave scores of 7, 8 and 9, and Len gave scores of 6, 7 and 8. Noone gave scores of 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, or 10. Admittedly all the dances were quite good but I do wish the judges would use more scores and also apply some OBJECTIVE criteria - i.e. there probably shouldn't be any 9s in week 1.

Also, I would like to say it's quite ridiculous to have the foxtrot in week 1. If you go to any normal dancing classes you will see people learning waltz, viennese waltz, international tango (footnote: I really hate the DWTS rendition of "Argentine Tango"), cha-cha, rumba, jive all within their first year. Slow Foxtrot? That is left for advanced students, and there are very good reasons for that. Given that, I think the stars coped remarkably well.

OK, quick comments.

Maria & Derek: Maria did a good job of dancing Cha-Cha when it came up but most of the routine was just Derek tossing her around. Somewhat disappointing.

Jack & Anna: They make a charming couple, but Jack obviously had some difficulties with the complicated footwork (can you say "heel leads"?) of the foxtrot. As I said the dance shouldn't have been on week 1. However, high entertainment factor!

Donald & Peta: Thought Donald was a bit too stiff, worried about looking cool rather than letting himself go in the dance. Technically convincing, however. Oh BTW, Peta... you really are very pretty, there is no need to dress up like a slut.

Gavin & Karina: Nice. Had a certain dreamlike quality and made it look easy.

Roshon & Chelsie: I love Chelsie but I thought this level of hip-hop content was inappropriate even for the cha-cha. Hope she manages to teach him real dancing, because he obviously has the dexterity and coordination for it.

Sherri & Val: What a bundle of joy & energy... technique could use some work though. Still very good for week 1.

Melissa & Maks: Technically good but she just doesn't seem to have much charisma IMHO. A good exampe of why I don't like the judges on this show - they were criticizing details at a level they never went into with other competitors and gave her (relatively) low scores even though they admitted she did a difficult routine and got through it very well. While I allow myself to comment on her charisma, I think they should be giving scores based on the dancing.
Oh and quote of the night: "Maks couldn't have written it better himself". ;)

William & Cheryl: The missing week of practice did show through because it was an easier routine than what most of the others had, but I definitely saw potential here.

Martina & Tony: Don't quite know what to make of them. Tony is such a nice guy and really deserves a mirror ball trophy but I just can't quite see it happening with her even if there are no obvious things to fault. Maybe it's because she sometimes looks too insecure during the dance. Also, though I understand that Brooke didn't want to say so, I thought her dress was quite ugly... hope the wardrobe department can come up with something better next week.

Katherine & Mark: Wow... so cute and yet also so good. I really hope her class and style rub off on him more than his silliness and avante-gardeism rubs off on her. I want to see more! (However, Carrie Ann's comments basically just tell us that she is not qualified to judge this show.)

Gladys & Tristan: Very impressive for her age and they look like they are having lots of fun! Good stuff!

Jaleel & Kym: finally someone not ashamed to do the foxtrot in light shows and with proper lighting - and rightly so, his footwork was quite good! Combine with all-around charm and elegance and sprinkle with just the right amount of fun and we have the makings of a contender!

So, what do you think? Who will win? Who will be eliminated first?
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users