BBO Discussion Forums: 2C overcall results in -800 - BBO Discussion Forums

• 5 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2C overcall results in -800

#41 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2012-March-25, 22:35

I read Lawrence's book many years ago. I know he liked to overcall good 4 card majors when he had length in RHO's suit on the theory that it was more likely that partner had a fit if he rated to have less cards in RHO's suit. I never heard this theory extended to overcalling a lower ranking suit at the 2 level.

Having said that, the 2 overcall on the hand in the OP was an atrocity and deserved the result that it got. It would have received a similar result if it were a six card suit. It should receive a similar result even if it were nonvul or even at favorable vulnerability. But overcalling at the two level vul on QT9xx? To be charitable, it is not my style.

There is nothing wrong with overcalling at the two level with a five card suit. But QT9xx is not a suit. It serves virtually no purpose to overcall on this hand. The bid is not lead directional. The bid wasn't made because the overcaller had a good hand and had to take some action. The bid is barely obstructive as it doesn't take up enough of the opponent's bidding space to make the risk worthwhile.

So, if there is a lesson to be drawn from the result of this atrocity, it is don't overcall bad suits at the two level.

#42 User is offline   Statto 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, but not in conflation.
    Statistics, but not massaged by the media.

Posted 2012-March-25, 22:42

View PostMickyB, on 2012-March-25, 21:51, said:

However, just because A implies B, and B implies C ... does not mean A implies C

Actually it does in formal logic. But "implies" is the wrong word here, as there are no guarantees B-)
A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem – Albert Einstein

#43 User is offline   HighLow21 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-25, 23:30

View PostMickyB, on 2012-March-25, 21:51, said:

My having diamond length reduces partner's expected diamond length.

Partner having short diamonds increases his expected club length.

However, just because

A implies B, and
B implies C

does not mean

A implies C

Ummm, actually, yes it always does, by the transitive property of logic. :-)
There is a big difference between a good decision and a good result. Let's keep our posts about good decisions rather than "gotcha" results!

#44 User is offline   HighLow21 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-25, 23:32

View PostArtK78, on 2012-March-25, 22:35, said:

So, if there is a lesson to be drawn from the result of this atrocity, it is don't overcall bad suits at the two level.

Agreed, unless the rest of the hand is great, the suit is 6 cards, and/or the vulnerability is favorable. (And even then, it's usually marginal.)
There is a big difference between a good decision and a good result. Let's keep our posts about good decisions rather than "gotcha" results!

#45 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-26, 00:12

This thread was pretty interesting (thanks, JB!) until it turned into a cesspit of appeals to authority. A pity.
What I don't really understand is how the sixth club matters. Let's say I give you your partner's 7 and in return he gets one of your diamonds. It seems that makes things much worse, not better. No?

#46 User is offline   BunnyGo 

• Lamentable Bunny
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-26, 00:24

View PostAntrax, on 2012-March-26, 00:12, said:

This thread was pretty interesting (thanks, JB!) until it turned into a cesspit of appeals to authority. A pity.
What I don't really understand is how the sixth club matters. Let's say I give you your partner's 7 and in return he gets one of your diamonds. It seems that makes things much worse, not better. No?

The original hand was just not going to be a good overcall, even with a small 6th club (move some spade honors to clubs and then you're talking). And hopefully, when we do have 6 cards instead of 5, we didn't take it from our partner ;)
Bridge Personality: 44 44 43 34

Never tell the same lie twice. - Elim Garek on the real moral of "The boy who cried wolf"

#47 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2012-March-26, 00:44

View PostAntrax, on 2012-March-26, 00:12, said:

I didn't mean to imply a 6th club would make this hand ok, it wouldn't. I have experienced several -800's, and worse by overcalling on crappy 5 card suits. The advice I was given is that I should have a decent 6 card suit or a solid 5 cards and outside values. So far this has worked well for me.
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

#48 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2012-March-26, 00:47

View PostHighLow21, on 2012-March-25, 23:30, said:

Ummm, actually, yes it always does, by the transitive property of logic. :-)

Yes I'm afraid MickyB used the wrong word there. It might be better to use "suggest". So, for example, (suppose we live in the 60's):

This hair product will make your hair grow.
Those who have long hair are more likely to be addicted to narcotics and oppose the war.
Therefore, my grandpa who is using the hair product is a hippie.

Another one:
Those who sit in the sun doing nothing as a kid will likely need glasses after a while.
Those who wear glasses are statistically more intelligent than those who don't.
Therefore, if you sit in the sun doing nothing long enough, you will get smarter and smarter!
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#49 User is offline   phil_20686 

• Scotland
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-26, 08:43

A pretty good criteria for a 2 level over call is that it should be "better than a wk nt". So if you are 5332 you need extra values to tilt cost benefit in your favour.

Hands like xx Axxx x Axxxxx you have to overcall over 1d though as you potentially have a huge hand if partner has a fit and he may well have too many diamonds to get in himself later.

Lentgh in RHO's suit is not generally a good thing in an overcall. Despite the intuitive proposition that partner should be more likely to have support it turns out not to be true. I am not going to attempt to "prove it" but we did do simulations on the forum that basically conclusively proved that it made no difference. In fact we showed slightly more than that: It is also (much) more likely the hand is a misfit. To see this recall that with you having 4 cards in RHO's suit, it is considerably more unlikely that the opponents have a large fit. Since we tend to have fits when the opponents have fits and vice verse, the odds of us having a nine card fit are considerably reduced if you have four cards in RHO's suit.

Worse, if you have honours in rho's suit, often the total tricks are considerably reduced. Our overcalls have the biggest gain when both us and them have relatively pure fits, with some decent shape, and there are a large number of total tricks. Thus a holding like KQTx in opponents suit is a strong warning sign not to overcall.
The physics is theoretical, but the fun is real. - Sheldon Cooper

#50 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-26, 11:18

On the other side of the coin (and I certainly wouldn't recommend 2 on that hand, so I'm not commenting about that!) - if you don't go for 800 sometimes, you're not bidding enough.

One of the things I tell newer players is that "almost certainly, you're too cautious. *Also*, you're bidding on the wrong kinds of hands. So, agree with your partner that for the next month, whenever you think about bidding, you'll do it. Play in good games. You *will* get doubled, you *will* go for big numbers. Smile, laugh, go on to the next hand, and keep doing it. At the end of the month, look at the hands where you went for numbers, and try to work out why they were wrong (and remember, sometimes it's just "unlucky"). Look also at the hands where you *didn't* go for numbers, and try to work out why they worked. *Now*, back off to "saner"; you'll have a much better idea what saner means. And you'll likely feel comfortable with two other things: a) how to play impossible contracts with equanimity, and as best you can (which is a very good skill to learn), and b) you'll have a better idea as defender when the opponents have stepped out and a big number is available."
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#51 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-26, 12:32

I am not too keen on blindly followiing rules such as needing a 6th Club. Among the questions that you need to ask yourself are: if you are not going to overcall 2C, what is the next best alternative, what sort of things can go wrong if you choose that alternative, and how happy are you to risk that compared with risking going for a number with the overcall? It is not always an easy circle to square.

Most of the time, your alternative will be to pass. This can work well. It probably rates better than to double and hear partner go and bid your doubleton. Certainly a pass can be made on respectable values and partner should appreciate that, but it does not come free of risk of adverse developments. With a decent opener and a decent 5 card suit I would overcall. It could be your last chance to get your hand across at a *respectable* risk of getting out undoubled if things don't pan out.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#52 User is offline   jonottawa 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-26, 12:37

Since both N's in this match overcalled 2, I think a better lesson to draw might be that if you're going to overcall 2 with this, you'd better declare well. Declarer could have gotten out for -200 on the actual defense.
"Maybe we should all get together and buy Kaitlyn a box set of "All in the Family" for Chanukah. Archie didn't think he was a racist, the problem was with all the chinks, dagos, niggers, kikes, etc. ruining the country." ~ barmar

#53 User is offline   glen 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Military history, WW II wargames

Posted 2012-March-26, 15:59

One of my fav blog postings of all time:

viewsfromthebridgetable suit quality paradox and more
'I hit my peak at seven' Taylor Swift

#54 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2012-March-26, 19:16

Taken from this thread http://www.bridgebas...862#entry172862

White all, you hold:
S:A9X
H:JT
D:Q8X
C:KQT86

RHO opens 1D(Precision but promises 3+). Do you overcall 2C or pass?

I am specifically talking about R vs. W so if you change the vulnerability - do you still overcall?

Maybe when my play is approaching that of Fred's I will then be happy overcalling on these hands.
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

#55 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2012-March-26, 19:48

View Postjillybean, on 2012-March-26, 19:16, said:

Maybe when my play is approaching that of Fred's I will then be happy overcalling on these hands.

Perhaps it won't take very long for that to happen, if you overcall on these hands to get the practice.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#56 User is offline   Cthulhu D 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Overbidding

Posted 2012-March-26, 20:07

Every time, and I could safely replace the jack of hearts with a small heart and I'd still do it. And yeah playing 2H doubled and trying to make sure you only go for 300 vs 3NT making the other way is always Fun™.

#57 User is offline   Charlie Yu 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-26, 20:25

I still think it is OK to overcall 2 here.
People only remember the occasional -800 when the suit breaks 5-1, they forget how many 7 IMPs partial swings they got because of the overcall, or the game this was not biddable if you dont overcall when you have balance of power.

#58 User is offline   benlessard 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:All games. i really mean all of them.

Posted 2012-March-27, 00:54

I have clubs and a D side suit, therefore im short in the M, partner must have M lenght wich implies that he is short in clubs :)

ML argument was debunked long time ago.
From Psych "I mean, Gus and I never see eye-to-eye on work stuff.
For instance, he doesn't like being used as a human shield when we're being shot at.
I happen to think it's a very noble way to meet one's maker, especially for a guy like him.
Bottom line is we never let that difference of opinion interfere with anything."

#59 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-27, 01:39

ML argument?

#60 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2012-March-27, 01:39

View Postmycroft, on 2012-March-26, 11:18, said:

So, agree with your partner that for the next month, whenever you think about bidding, you'll do it. Play in good games. You *will* get doubled, you *will* go for big numbers. Smile, laugh, go on to the next hand, and keep doing it. At the end of the month, look at the hands where you went for numbers, and try to work out why they were wrong (and remember, sometimes it's just "unlucky"). Look also at the hands where you *didn't* go for numbers, and try to work out why they worked. *Now*, back off to "saner"; you'll have a much better idea what saner means.

I think this is a good approach. When my first partner insisted that we play weak jump overcalls and that it should be automatic on any 6 card suit with 0-11 points I learnt alot. In fact my first ever WJO was 3 on a 10-high suit at red(!) and even though it was a success I would not do that now. The point is that having tried this stuff out it is so much simpler to weed out the good from the bad. If you have always done things a particular way then you can never really know if another approach is better.
(-: Zel :-)

• 5 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users