• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Wild or Gambling?

#21 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2012-March-30, 11:51

I don't get it, even if the assumption is that exactly 8 tricks can be made in both hearts and spades, surely -110 is preferable to -200? Maybe I need to actually read Cohen's book sometime...
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#22 User is offline   AlexJonson 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-March-30, 14:44

If every one of our decisions stood up to analysis we would be world champions, most likely.

#23 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-30, 14:56

View PostAlexJonson, on 2012-March-30, 14:44, said:

If every one of our decisions stood up to analysis we would be world champions, most likely.

True enough. But it is not really the 3 bid that is under analysis. It is the claim that a different call would be chosen for a "reason" which sounds irrelevant.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#24 User is offline   AlexJonson 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-March-30, 15:41

View Postbillw55, on 2012-March-30, 14:56, said:

True enough. But it is not really the 3 bid that is under analysis. It is the claim that a different call would be chosen for a "reason" which sounds irrelevant.

If North was void in spades with Axxxx clubs how many tricks do NS make.

#25 User is offline   nigel_k 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-30, 16:16

Maybe this is not how directors rule in practice, but I think that 'but for' causation is not enough. I.e., in order to show that the misexplanation caused damage, I think you have to do more than establish that, but for the incorrect explanation, South would not have bid 3. Otherwise the marriage of Hitler's grandparents caused the deaths of millions of innocent people. This is not what we normally mean when we use the world 'cause'.

I would be inclined to just rule that South's poor judgment was such a dominant cause of his poor result that nothing else matters. So 'wild or gambling' doesn't come into it. But anyway, 3 was wild. And if it wasn't wild, it was certainly a serious error and was unrelated to the infraction because the explanation given in no way suggests that bidding 3 is a good idea.

#26 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2012-March-30, 23:28

View PostAlexJonson, on 2012-March-30, 15:41, said:

If North was void in spades with Axxxx clubs how many tricks do NS make.

And how many do EW make in spades then?

It's pretty obvious these people don't make their decisions by visualising possible hands for their partner. And I was not asking what reasons you could possibly have for bidding 3.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users