BBO Discussion Forums: Say something or smile and move on - BBO Discussion Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Say something or smile and move on Ethics issue

#1 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-April-01, 18:05

Partner was playing in a 5X contract. He's drawn one round of trumps but there are clearly some outstanding, then leads a diamond from hand towards dummy's KQxxxx. The next hand flies the ace, cashes the A on which her partner thinks for about 10 seconds and then ostentatiously plays the 2. The message is duly got, another diamond is led and ruffed and 5X goes 2 off instead of 1.

After the hand, one lol says to the other "I'm so glad you got my signal".

Smile and wish them goodbye (you gained 8 on the board, +650/-300), or say something ? and if you say something, how do you say it ?

#2 User is offline   rduran1216 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-April-01, 18:19

I'd be nasty and rip them for cheating. I mean that is clearly cheating. This kinda stuff drives me nuts, ive seen even good players pull similar moves and I always chirp at them.
Aaron Jones Unit 557

www.longbeachbridge.com

#3 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Multi

I'd have a very hard time not saying anything. This type of thing happens often at the club and your choice is to call the
director, become very unpopular and perhaps not get a correct ruling OR smile and move on.

http://www.bridgebas...s-at-the-table/
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

#4 User is offline   wyman 

• Redoubling with gusto
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Math, Bridge, Beer. Often at the same time.

I let the director do the talking to them.
"I think maybe so and so was caught cheating but maybe I don't have the names right". Sure, and I think maybe your mother .... Oh yeah, that was someone else maybe. -- kenberg

"...we live off being battle-scarred veterans who manage to hate our opponents slightly more than we hate each other.” -- Hamman, re: Wolff

#5 User is offline   jjbrr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-01, 18:58

assuming this is just a club game, i'd smile and move on.

if i have a good relationship with the director, after the game i'd pull him aside and say "a pair did this against me. they're not good players. in the future is this something you would like to address when it happens?"

if he shrugs, let it go. it's going to be more trouble than it's worth.

unfortunately there's a million ways for bad pairs to get you like this. really they just don't know any better, and assuming they're capable of getting better at bridge, they'll begin to realize things like that aren't ok. if they're not capable, then you're just wasting your time and making a bad experience for them.

sorry.
OK
bed

#6 User is offline   rduran1216 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-01, 19:01

there are two pairs at the local club that do this kind of thing every hand. They are bad players so it doesn't help them much, but the few times its happened to me I've really pressed them about it. The directors generally know, but from a business standpoint there isn't much to be done at the club level. I mean these are regulars, losing their business would be bad.
Aaron Jones Unit 557

www.longbeachbridge.com

#7 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2012-April-01, 19:15

if they are friends and they respect me and don't know any better, I will tell them after the hand that its not a good idea.

If they are friends and know better, then I will say something and it won't be nice. An identical situation happened a few years ago against an ex-partner and his current partner. At T1 RHO (not the ex) won a trick and INSTA shifted to dummy's strong suit. Before my ex partner played to trick 3, I said, "not a lot of doubt thats a singleton, is it"? He gave him the ruff anyway.

If they aren't friends and its a small game, I will internally scream, but thats about it. If they gloat a little, I'll make some remark that usually goes over their head.

If its a regional or NABC, the director is at the table to sort out the mess, but my experience even at this level you don't get an adjustment, which is really unfortunate.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#8 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2012-April-01, 19:15

View Postrduran1216, on 2012-April-01, 19:01, said:

The directors generally know, but from a business standpoint there isn't much to be done at the club level. I mean these are regulars, losing their business would be bad.

Wow. I don't play at proprietary clubs; is this the way they are usually run?
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#9 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2012-April-01, 19:20

View Postrduran1216, on 2012-April-01, 19:01, said:

The directors generally know, but from a business standpoint there isn't much to be done at the club level. I mean these are regulars, losing their business would be bad.

So they perhaps lose Cyberyeti & me instead, and the players who do play by the rules but would like to play "unusual" systems as well.

Why would applying the laws mean loss business?
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

#10 User is offline   wyman 

• Redoubling with gusto
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Math, Bridge, Beer. Often at the same time.

Posted 2012-April-01, 19:22

View Postjillybean, on 2012-April-01, 19:20, said:

So they lose Cyberyeti & me instead.

It does suck, but you understand that there are a lot more of them than there are of you.
"I think maybe so and so was caught cheating but maybe I don't have the names right". Sure, and I think maybe your mother .... Oh yeah, that was someone else maybe. -- kenberg

"...we live off being battle-scarred veterans who manage to hate our opponents slightly more than we hate each other.” -- Hamman, re: Wolff

#11 User is offline   jjbrr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-01, 19:22

i'd also like to say that if the villain were a professional being paid to play with a client (ie someone who should definitely know better), i still wouldn't call the director. if i did call the director in a moment of poor judgment, i would ask to talk to him away from the table and tell him the facts as i saw them and request perhaps that he pull the villain aside after the game with some sort of ruling. we all know accusing someone of cheating at the bridge table is like saying "bomb" at an airport. it's just not worth it to me.

honestly, the villain would never admit any wrongdoing in this hypothetical; he has too much to lose and frequently an ego too big to allow himself to be caught, or in the case he's a bad player he just doesn't know any better, which obviously doesn't excuse him, but doesn't mean we should necessarily crucify him anyway. that's why i'd relay the information to the director without the villain being able to butt in. it would be really, really terrible if the pro actually had something to think about in that spot that we didn't recognize, and while i agree it's likely he would be fishing for this exact outcome in this hypothetical, ie cheating, it's not worth potentially ruining his career over something so minor in the big scheme of things.

take my opinions with a grain of salt though. i think club games should be fun and easygoing, which maybe is a minority opinion. for example, i've never enforced a penalty card at a club game; i just tell them to pick the card up and forget it happened. maybe i, myself, am also breaking the rules, by being "unfair" to the other pairs in the room or whatever, but like i said, its just not worth worrying about to me.
OK
bed

#12 User is offline   nigel_k 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-01, 19:26

It's no good if you are the only one who complains. Obviously you would be justified in calling the director, but if everyone else lets this stuff go, then they won't change.

If there is a club newsletter, I would write up the hand, without mentioning their names, but with a general tone of 'isn't it shocking this kind of grossly unethical behaviour is going on in our club?'. Or just stick something on the noticeboard.

#13 User is offline   the hog 

• Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2012-April-01, 19:36

View PostCyberyeti, on 2012-April-01, 18:05, said:

Partner was playing in a 5X contract. He's drawn one round of trumps but there are clearly some outstanding, then leads a diamond from hand towards dummy's KQxxxx. The next hand flies the ace, cashes the A on which her partner thinks for about 10 seconds and then ostentatiously plays the 2. The message is duly got, another diamond is led and ruffed and 5X goes 2 off instead of 1.

After the hand, one lol says to the other "I'm so glad you got my signal".

Smile and wish them goodbye (you gained 8 on the board, +650/-300), or say something ? and if you say something, how do you say it ?

I call the director.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#14 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2012-April-01, 19:43

View Postjjbrr, on 2012-April-01, 19:22, said:

we all know accusing someone of cheating at the bridge table is like saying "bomb" at an airport. it's just not worth it to me.

You don't say the person cheated. You say that you think there might have been some unauthorised information and you are not sure of the action.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#15 User is offline   jjbrr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-01, 19:45

View PostVampyr, on 2012-April-01, 19:43, said:

You don't say the person cheated. You say that you think there might have been some unauthorised information and you are not sure of the action.

that's nice.
OK
bed

#16 User is offline   rduran1216 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-01, 20:05

View Postjillybean, on 2012-April-01, 19:20, said:

So they perhaps lose Cyberyeti & me instead, and the players who do play by the rules but would like to play "unusual" systems as well.

Why would applying the laws mean loss business?

Yes and they wouldn't care less to lose the business of people who are only there for the special games (we get alot of those in long beach) because the economics of runnin a club is building a base of people who are there at all times.

The point is, you regularly make your bank as a club with the core group of 100 ppl or so that have had regular games for the last 20 years. If someone from that ilk does somethin unethical its settled in house, but not to the point where they are turned away.

Applying the laws, having people play unusual systems leads people to get paranoid. Look ive sat in on meetings where the majority have repeatedly shot down hand records bc they think the hands are fixed. These people are 80, its not like you will change their mind. So doing something that is good in the long run (getting shuffling machines for example) just wont happen in these people's lifetimes because they are the golden goose for the ownership. Thats just the way it is here, force feeding things will lead them to find somewhere else. Currently we have to compete with the local leisure world, because the card fees are 1/4 of what our club charges, and these people who are set for life, have stopped coming because of bad experiences and raised fees. Bottom line, you do what you have to do to keep it going. Local clubs don't all have memberships and associations propping them up. The mom and pop clubs in the LA area are disappearing fast in favor of us, laguna woods, etc, who have taken in the regulars from other places that can't compete.
Aaron Jones Unit 557

www.longbeachbridge.com

#17 User is offline   quiddity 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-01, 20:22

It was a club game, they were lols, and you won the board? Why on earth would you do anything other than smile and say "nice defense"? That play probably made their evening; it would really be a dick move to "rip them for cheating". Do you want to be known as someone who has to claw and scrabble and directorize and throw lols under the bus in order to scratch in a club game?

edit: I see the OP didn't specify the event so maybe it wasn't a club game after all. In an "important" event, if I thought the score difference would be significant in the final standings or for qualification or something, I guess I could understand calling the director.

#18 User is offline   Bbradley62 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-01, 20:47

View PostCyberyeti, on 2012-April-01, 18:05, said:

... on which her partner thinks for about 10 seconds and then ostentatiously plays the 2...

Smile and wish them goodbye (you gained 8 on the board, +650/-300), or say something ? and if you say something, how do you say it?

Unfortunately, you were dummy on this hand. If I see this action as declarer, then before LHO returns the diamond, I ask her "Does it mean something special when your partner ostentatiously plays the 2 like that?" I have frequently asked "when your partner shifts his cards like that mid-hand, does it mean that he doesn't have any more of the suit we just played?"

#19 User is offline   dwar0123 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-01, 20:57

When I run into situations like these, I always wonder if my own concern about the opponents getting in a quick ruff isn't coloring my perception of their mannerism such that I think there is UI going on when in fact I am just projecting my own worry. After all the 2 is a signal denying interest in hearts being continued, legally and dutifully received. Finding the suit to switch to probably wasn't that difficult.

And when you switch into the opponents super strong side suit, it doesn't take a genius to figure out it is a likely stiff, regardless of how 'fast' you perceive that switch taking place.

If there really is a problem, then calling the director and taking him aside is the best course of action but I would never do it vs lol's at a club game, that is just in poor taste.

#20 User is offline   the hog 

• Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2012-April-01, 23:01

View Postdwar0123, on 2012-April-01, 20:57, said:

When I run into situations like these, I always wonder if my own concern about the opponents getting in a quick ruff isn't coloring my perception of their mannerism such that I think there is UI going on when in fact I am just projecting my own worry. After all the 2 is a signal denying interest in hearts being continued, legally and dutifully received. Finding the suit to switch to probably wasn't that difficult.

And when you switch into the opponents super strong side suit, it doesn't take a genius to figure out it is a likely stiff, regardless of how 'fast' you perceive that switch taking place.

If there really is a problem, then calling the director and taking him aside is the best course of action but I would never do it vs lol's at a club game, that is just in poor taste.

So are you suggesting that following the rules is in "poor taste"? I do not understand this argument.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users