• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Always ask? Not very convenient

#61 User is offline   jallerton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-April-24, 15:44

View Postbluejak, on 2012-April-24, 08:56, said:

I would expect transfer responses to 1 to be on the front of the SC.

We do have "transfer responses to 1" written on the front of our convention card but the problem is that few opponents read this before the start of a 2-board pairs round. Yes, I know we could say that it is the opponents' fault if they don't read our convention card in advance, but is that how we want the game to be played?

Interestingly, the SBU alerting rules contain the following statement:

Remember the spirit of the WBF policy: to ensure that opponents are not disadvantaged by ignorance of your agreements.

At the other end of the spectrum, I can think of a few opponents who do take the trouble to read the convention card in great detail before starting play, but these opponents seem to take a significant proportion of the time allotted for the round in doing so!

#62 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-24, 17:17

View Postjallerton, on 2012-April-24, 15:44, said:

We do have "transfer responses to 1" written on the front of our convention card but the problem is that few opponents read this before the start of a 2-board pairs round. Yes, I know we could say that it is the opponents' fault if they don't read our convention card in advance, but is that how we want the game to be played?

Right. You don't, but some people do. This is the idea I had when starting the thread.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#63 User is offline   paulg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-25, 04:11

View Postjallerton, on 2012-April-24, 15:44, said:

Interestingly, the SBU alerting rules contain the following statement:

Remember the spirit of the WBF policy: to ensure that opponents are not disadvantaged by ignorance of your agreements.

We are also required to pre-alert unusual methods at the start of the round. Transfer responses to 1 are rare and definitely require pre-alerting.

Time for Stefanie to move to Edinburgh?
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#64 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2012-April-25, 04:52

View Postpaulg, on 2012-April-25, 04:11, said:

Time for Stefanie to move to Edinburgh?

Suppose that Stefanie plays two sessions of bridge a week. With two-board rounds, that's 2500 different opponents a year. If she spends 15 seconds looking at the front of the card at the start of each round, that's about 10 hours a year. If she stays there for 20 years, the move has saved her 200 hours. Can you find a suitable home, buy it, sell your own house, pack and move in 200 hours?

And then there's the weather. Wikipedia tells us that the climate in Edinburgh compares favourably with Moscow, Labrador and Newfoundland, which is reassuring I suppose, but only in a rather limited way.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#65 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-25, 05:52

View Postgnasher, on 2012-April-25, 04:52, said:

And then there's the weather. Wikipedia tells us that the climate in Edinburgh compares favourably with Moscow, Labrador and Newfoundland, which is reassuring I suppose, but only in a rather limited way.

She's already lived in at least one of those places.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#66 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2012-April-25, 20:38

To be perfectly honest, the weather in Moscow was in some ways preferable to that in England. Yes, it would be between -10 and -35 all winter and snow every day, but it was all under bright blue skies. They do not have the grey oppressive skies we often get here, or the dampness that often accompanies cold weather.

In any case, I have never been to Edinburgh :( , but I have heard it is beautiful and want very much to go there. Persuading the other half to move, though, is a different matter.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#67 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-26, 09:41

Ah, well, if that's what you like, you picked the right one of the three to go to. "The Rock" and Labrador are beautiful, I'm told, the two days a year you can see them through the fog (yes, that's sort of a joke).

You could come to Saskatchewan, though. That's right up there with Moscow.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#68 User is offline   jallerton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-26, 13:31

Suppose that Stefanie plays two sessions of bridge a week. With two-board rounds, that's 2500 different opponents a year. If she spends 15 seconds looking at the front of the card at the start of each round, that's about 10 hours a year. If she stays there for 20 years, the move has saved her 200 hours. Can you find a suitable home, buy it, sell your own house, pack and move in 200 hours?

Does Stefanie normally play about 50 boards per session?

#69 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2012-April-26, 13:33

I just wasted 25 seconds of my life.

#70 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2012-April-26, 14:41

View Postmycroft, on 2012-April-26, 09:41, said:

You could come to Saskatchewan, though. That's right up there with Moscow.

My luggage went to Saskatchewan once. While I waited for it in Honolulu.

• 4 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users