BBO Discussion Forums: Scoring in Rubber Bridge - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1

Scoring in Rubber Bridge Bonus for partial or not?

#1 User is offline   Lesh18 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-April-12, 16:34

Hey guys

Playing Rubber Bridge, do you include scoring points (50 pts.) for a partial? 300 pts. for a game, 500 pts. for a small slam and 1000 pts. for a grand slam are obvious.
I am just not quite sure with a partial, much to the fact that the 'Learn to play Bridge' software gives no points for a partial, but on ACBL's website they do give 50 pts. for a partial.

So how is it?
Thanks

#2 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-April-12, 16:57

50 bonus points (above the line) for bidding and making a part score. If you already have one or more part scores, and the sum of them all is ≥ 100 points, then you get the game bonus instead.

That's what I get for "ruling" from memory. Stephen is right (see next post), there is no 50 point bonus for a part score in rubber bridge.

This post has been edited by blackshoe: 2012-April-13, 07:01

--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#3 User is online   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-12, 17:35

Huh? I don't think there are 50 pt partial bonuses in rubber.
Don't see it in either
http://web2.acbl.org...mbined_2004.pdf
or
http://www.acbl.org/...coreRubber.html
or
http://en.wikipedia....i/Rubber_bridge

Duplicate: bonus for partials, no "honors" bonuses. Game/slam bonuses depend on vulnerability determined by board number.
Rubber: "honors" bonus, no partial bonus. But partials get you part-way to game if you can ring up 100 "below the line" before your opponents do. Vulnerability determined by previously making game or not in current rubber.

#4 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-12, 17:43

If you look at the Rubber Bridge Laws of 1993 you will find:

LAW 80
INCOMPLETE RUBBER
When, for any reason, a rubber is not finished, the score is computed as follows:
If only one game has been completed, the winners of that game are credited with 300 points; if only one side has a partscore or partscores in a game not completed, that side is credited with 100 points; the trick and premium points of each side are then added, and the side with the greater number of points wins the difference between the two totals.

Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#5 User is offline   Lesh18 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-April-13, 01:36

Right, and I was also confused about game contracts.

The 300 pts. bonus for a game contract: Does it only apply to any contract succeeded, that includes 100 or more pts. in one go? Or can I first, win a 2 contract and then I win a 1NT contract (having 100 points under the line): Will this give me those 300 pts. as well? What about the slam contracts?

#6 User is online   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-13, 02:18

You make game with multiple partials if you score up 100 in bid + made tricks before your opponents do. So 2s making follow by 1nt making is game. You don't actually get the bonus until the rubber is finished, or you quit prematurely. A rubber is first to two games. If it's two games to zero, the side with two games gets 700 bonus. 2 games to 1 is 500 bonus. 300 is only for side with a game with unfinished rubber.

Slam you have to actually bid and make 6 or 7.
So if you have partial below the line score, you want to bid just enough to make the game, unless you have slam aspirations.

Playing rubber bridge is extremely rare these days among serious players. Major competition is all duplicate. Rubber bridge is typically very old, casual players playing at home social games, maybe senior community center. Most of the tough, serious rubber bridge games for money have died out, at least in my area (N. California). Almost all discussion in these forums is targeted at duplicate. Card play skills of course are beneficial at all forms of the game. But type of game can affect your trick taking strategies, whether it is more important to guarantee making your contract (rubber), or if overtricks are often of equal importance and even sometimes worth jeopardizing the contract for (matchpoints).

#7 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-13, 02:24

For a complete rubber you get 500 or 700 depending on whether it was a three-game or two-game rubber. For an incomplete rubber you get 300 for each game (obviously this cancels out if both sides have a game). For a partscore in an incomplete game you get 100.

You can get game in more than one attempt - eg 60 and then 90 below the line, but if your opponents get game in the meantime, it cancels out any part-score you may have had.

Slam bonuses are 500/1000 for non-vulnerable slams and 750/1500 for vulnerable ones.

Many players play "Chicago" or "Four-deal" bridge, where the scoring is more like duplicate than traditional rubber bridge.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#8 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-13, 02:32

View PostStephen Tu, on 2012-April-13, 02:18, said:

But type of game can affect your trick taking strategies, whether it is more important to guarantee making your contract (rubber), or if overtricks are often of equal importance and even sometimes worth jeopardizing the contract for (matchpoints).

There are also some interesting bidding consequences of playing rubber. If you have 60 below, then 1NT is enough for game and so the range of a 1NT opener tends to expand to become about 13-20. This can be accommodated without risking missing slam, because now a 2NT response would be a slam-try. Similarly, with 80 below, 1-1-2 shows a really strong hand. And, in order to get the honour bonuses, players will often bid more with solid suits than would otherwise be justified, and bid NT with unbalanced hands with all four aces.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#9 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-13, 19:17

View PostStephen Tu, on 2012-April-13, 02:18, said:

Playing rubber bridge is extremely rare these days among serious players. Major competition is all duplicate. Rubber bridge is typically very old, casual players playing at home social games, maybe senior community center. Most of the tough, serious rubber bridge games for money have died out, at least in my area (N. California).

You should make it more clear that this whole paragraph refers to your local area. Not just the last sentence.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users