• Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Overbidding

Posted 2012-April-19, 22:41

All vul, at a recent teams match (in which we lost), I dealt myself:

S: -
H: AJ974
D: 4
C: AK97532

Spots are approximate because the hand records are in my car, but I definitely didn't have any Ts. Playing 2/1 GF with 1C: Clubs or balanced, what is your bidding plan?

I had no idea what to do with this. Partner will respond showing spades at the 1 level to your opening.

#2 User is offline   dwar0123 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-April-19, 22:45

Id open 1 and then bid 3 and then pull 3nt to 4

#3 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2012-April-19, 22:53

Clubs then hearts then hearts then clubs.

#4 User is offline   BillPatch 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:income taxes, american history, energy

Posted 2012-April-19, 23:00

I would open 1 and then reverse, forcing through to 4unless partner had other ideas.
There is too great a chance for a slam or other better contract to emphasize .

#5 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-19, 23:26

this is way too powerful a hand to pervert the shape with a 1 opening. open 1 reverse into and then bid one of your suits again on the 3rd round - most likely hearts.

#6 User is offline   Cthulhu D 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-19, 23:37

View Postwank, on 2012-April-19, 23:26, said:

this is way too powerful a hand to pervert the shape with a 1 opening. open 1 reverse into and then bid one of your suits again on the 3rd round - most likely hearts.

I think the thing I missed in the bidding was clubs, hearts, hearts would show this hand. I tried clubs, hearts, clubs.

#7 User is offline   mikl_plkcc 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:sailing, bridge

Posted 2012-April-19, 23:49

4 losers only --- bid 2. You don't want partner to pass after a 1 opening.

If 2 is responded, bid 2. If partner raise it, then it's fine. Otherwise, jump to 5 immediately.

If a suit is responded, if it matches your suit, raise it and explore a slam. If it doesn't match, bid forever.

If step responses are used and a positive response is get, bid first, then forever.

#8 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2012-April-20, 08:58

As Art does, but I think we are fantasizing we will get a free fun at the bidding and be able to bid out our shape. It would not surprise me that our next call is a decision over 4.

This hand is completely inappropriate for a 2 opening.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#9 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-20, 13:10

View Postmikl_plkcc, on 2012-April-19, 23:49, said:

You have void in spades and you are worried about playing 1. You are wrong, 1 cannot be passed out, neither is 1.

open 2 and face something like 2-2-2-5, your pleasure.

Opening 2 with a weak hand is a mistake because partner with a missfitting 14 count will put you in a hopeless 6NT.

Opening 2 with a 2 suiter is a mistake, because you can face a competitive bidding like 2-2-2-5 where you have shown no suit yet and partner knows nothing.

#10 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2012-April-20, 13:50

View Postmikl_plkcc, on 2012-April-19, 23:49, said:

If 2 is responded, bid 2. If partner raise it, then it's fine. Otherwise, jump to 5 immediately.

If a suit is responded, if it matches your suit, raise it and explore a slam. If it doesn't match, bid forever.

If step responses are used and a positive response is get, bid first, then forever.

This is a very, very bad idea. It comes from looking only at this hand, and fantasizing about its playing strength, and ignores the fact that there are 3 other players at the table. Not only do you likely face interference, and could end up being completely screwed without ever mentioning either of your suits below the 5 level, but your poor partner is entitled to assume you have about 20 hcp (or more), so he will drive to slam, or double the opps, on lots of hands offering no play or defence. Meanwhile, since there is zero, and I mean zero, chance that it will go 1 all pass, any other opening call is insane. (Yes, I think the handful of followers of Robinson who open 1 with this shape are, in the context of the auction, insane)

If step responses are used (in terms of showing hcp), I understand how attractive they can seem to an inexperienced player....I used them myself very early in my bridge career...but I strongly recommend that you change your system. Now's not the time to elaborate on why.

And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly. There are times and hands when one should or could choose to bid the shorter of two long suits first, but this isn't one of them.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#11 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-21, 15:02

My agreement is that we open 5 card majors unless 7 in a minor, and this hand is powerful enough to treat as a reverse. Without the aces I would just open 1, but on this the bidding starts 1 1 2 in a transfer walsh style. I think I pass a simple preference, but otherwise rebid hearts and probably go to game somewhere.

#12 User is offline   tolvyrj 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-21, 17:48

I would also open 1 and after prds 1 response cross my fingers and bid 2. Why cross my fingers, cause this hand will play very badly with misfit and in that case this aint even close to reverse IMO.If prds hand is say 5251 and he has round 14 points, this may end ver ugly. We have a gadget though after my 2 prd can ask with 2Nt, how good my "reverse" is, but will he ever belive that my hand is consist only 2 aces and a king and a jack...no i dont think so.
But hey life aint perfect and neither r bidding systems and u do have to take some risks, lets hope this adventure ends well :D

#13 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2012-April-21, 21:26

View Posttolvyrj, on 2012-April-21, 17:48, said:

I would also open 1 and after prds 1 response cross my fingers and bid 2. Why cross my fingers, cause this hand will play very badly with misfit and in that case this aint even close to reverse IMO.If prds hand is say 5251 and he has round 14 points, this may end ver ugly. We have a gadget though after my 2 prd can ask with 2Nt, how good my "reverse" is, but will he ever belive that my hand is consist only 2 aces and a king and a jack...no i dont think so.
But hey life aint perfect and neither r bidding systems and u do have to take some risks, lets hope this adventure ends well :D

I disagree. This hand will play fine in clubs even if partner has no support.

I have a 7 card club fit in my own hand. :)

If pard listens to my auction, he will understand that I am bidding on distribution, not power.

#14 User is offline   tolvyrj 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-22, 12:41

Im just afraid that prd will take charge nad blast us somewhere we might not belong. Lets say bidding goes 1- 1- 2- 3, what do u do now? 3 is a must i guess and now prd uses the Blackwood cannon and we end up say to 6Nt :rolleyes: .
But after saying that i must confess that i dont see an other option than start with 1 and rebid over 1 .If it goes to hell im prepared to defend my actions and i think reasonable prd will agree with me.

#15 User is offline   Cthulhu D 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-22, 18:18

Partner was an expert playing down with a novice so ironically he took charge but not in the way you might expect. It went something like:

1C-1S
2H-3NT (me thinking 'ohdear' at this point)
4C-6C which makes on the defence we got but 6H is a much nicer place to play.

However I probably should have bid 4H not 4C

#16 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2012-April-22, 20:54

Put me in the camp that opens 1 and rebids s twice. That shows at least a 6-5 hand. If I get the chance, I'd rebid after that.

With the distribution in the hand, I don't think there's virtually any chance 1 would ever be passed and would opt for bidding fairly normally in order to show the distribution.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

4 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users